Author Topic: Against all odds, couple with Down Syndrome celebrate 22-yrs wedding ....  (Read 1584 times)

heartbroken

• View Profile
https://mypositiveoutlooks.com/couple-with-down-syndrome-proves-them-wrong/?fbclid=IwAR0HfzsPJjtxEL7YPSM_yFOjx58DNX_gMrwfsjXgJZPBXVkjrXB1NX0-kxk

Against all odds, couple with Down Syndrome celebrate 22-yrs wedding anniversary
Published by Positive Outlooks on April 17, 2018

Keeping a marriage is not an easy task. We constantly come across the devastating news of Hollywood couples breaking up (we are looking at you Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan). Is it really hard to attain happily ever after nowadays?

There is a stigma that it will be hard for people with special needs to marry. Many people think that people with a condition like Down’s Syndrome cannot take care of themselves, how will they take care of other people, more or less start a family?

Maryanne and Tommy Pilling are the first couple with Down’s Syndrome to tie the knot in the UK. Their union was greeted with skepticism and some criticism when they got married in an Essex church two decades ago.  These two people with Down’s Syndrome fell in love and eventually marry. Many people thought that they shouldn’t marry and that their relationship will not last. However, they prove that their love is stronger than their condition and tied the knot. In 2017, the couple celebrated their 22nd year as a married couple proving the test of time.  In 1991, Maryanne and Tommy met a day center and dated for 18 months before Tommy popped the question. Celebrating 22 years of marriage is a feat and they received love and admiration from millions of people on social media.  To celebrate their anniversary, they re-enacted their first dance from dirty dancing to remember their big day. Despite many people are in attendance, the couple danced sweetly as if it is only them inside the room.  “My wedding was the best day of my life. I was shocked when Tommy proposed but I didn’t have to think twice about saying yes,” Maryanne shared to Independent.co.uk.

“Tommy and I never argue. I love my husband very much. He is my best friend,” she added.

After the wedding, the couple lives independently in their own home, but Maryanne’s sister Lindi Newman and her family live next door to help out in events that they need assistance.  Their relationship gets stronger and the couple proves that it is a wise decision to wed.  Meanwhile, the couple is grateful to all those that believe in them, especially Maryanne’s mother who supported their decision.  Although Maryanne’s mom received a lot of flak when she allowed the two to marry, she insisted that it was their decision.  “Maryanne had dreamed about a big white wedding since she was a little girl and that’s exactly what she had. It was a beautiful day,” Maryanne’s sister talked about why her mom agreed to her sister’s marriage.

Ms. Newman added that the couple’s relationship offers a positive statement.  “When they walk down the street holding hands they make a statement but in a good way. Some people stare, they assume people with Down’s Syndrome and learning difficulties can’t get married. But we also get so many lovely messages from people who are inspired by their story,” she said.

“People worried about their own children or grandchildren with Down’s Syndrome get hope from Maryanne and Tommy’s story, hope that their children can also fall in love and live happily ever after,” she added.

A Facebook page dedicated to the couple is managed by Maryanne’s sister. The Facebook page chronicles the life of the couple full of lovely photos showing how they spent quality time together. One of the photos showed the couple visiting an Elvis Presley museum and visiting an aquarium in another.  A lot of people are sending them messages congratulating them and wishing them well.  Watch the touching love story of Tommy and Maryanne and believe, once again, that love conquers all.