Author Topic: Callous mother left her dying daughter to go to the pub then told paramedics....  (Read 469 times)


  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 204
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile

Callous mother left her dying daughter to go to the pub then told paramedics the 13-year-old was faking it when she was found dead

    Robyn Goldie, 13, died on July 26 from peritonitis as a result of a perforated ulcer
    The schoolgirl had complained to mother Sharon Goldie, 45, that she was unwell
    But her calls for help were ignored, and instead Goldie went down the local pub
    She returned to find her daughter slumped on sofa, but thought she was faking it
    Goldie appeared before at Glasgow High Court to plead guilty to a charge under the Children and Young Persons Act of wilfully ill-treating and neglecting Robyn

By James Robinson for MailOnline

Published: 20:04, 20 August 2020 | Updated: 20:55, 20 August 2020

A callous mother left her dying teenage daughter to go to the pub before returning home to find her slumped across a sofa and even then told paramedics she thought the dead schoolgirl was 'faking it'.  Robyn Goldie, 13, had begged her mother Sharon Goldie to get her medical help in the days leading up to her tragic death, complaining she was 'hurting all over'.  But the 45-year-old, of Wishaw, Lanarkshire, Scotland, accused her of 'attention seeking' and told her to 'get in' when she ran to the neighbours begging for help.  Unbeknown to Goldie, Robyn was suffering from a burst stomach ulcer a condition doctors said she would have been expected to survive had it been discovered.  But on the day of daughter's death, instead of helping her, Goldie went down the pub.  She returned to find her unresponsive teenage daughter slumped across the sofa.  But she went to the fridge, got a drink and went outside with a friend. When the friend checked on Robyn, she was found to be dead.  An ambulance was called but Goldie told paramedics: 'She's at it.'

On then being told her daughter had passed away, a suddenly 'wailing' Goldie stated: 'No, she cannot be.'

The shocking details emerged as Goldie appeared at the High Court in Glasgow.  Goldie appeared before the court to plead guilty to a charge under the Children and Young Persons Act of wilfully ill-treating and neglecting Robyn.  Prosecutors accepted Goldie's not guilty plea to the culpable homicide of her daughter. She will learn her fate next month.  A judge heard today how the schoolgirl had suffered a year of horrific neglect before her death including being forced to ask someone for a 1 to get food.  Robyn had lived with Goldie until she was four before moving in with her gran.  She had earlier been put on the child protection register after Goldie was found to be drunk while supposedly caring for her daughter.  Robyn had also once been forced to call a gas company complaining of being cold.  This lead to her living a 'stable life' staying with her gran until 2017.  Robyn then returned to her mum due to a number of reasons, including starting secondary school. But, the court heard social workers continued to monitor the pair.  Prosecutor Ashley Edwards QC said: 'Goldie was offered on various occasions the opportunity to attend parenting classes. She declined to attend.'

Goldie's drinking became an issue causing 'friction' with her daughter. Miss Edwards: 'Goldie asked for (Robyn) to be removed from her care.'

Social workers visited the pair often un-announced with arguing between them described as 'common'.  The house was also said to be stinking of cat urine and, in March 2018, Robyn was then found to have a rash caused by fleas. Robyn was also described as 'thin, dirty and unkempt'.  Miss Edwards: 'On an occasion (at the pub), Goldie was heard to say: 'I am f***ing sick of her. I wish she would go back and stay with her gran'.'
The court heard Robyn would also film Goldie who slapped and bit her daughter screaming at her.  The child told friends how drunken Goldie would offer her cannabis and alcohol while 'constantly' insisting she did not want her in the house.  The week before her death, Robyn was given painkillers after complaining of a sore stomach and legs.  On July 21, Goldie then told staff at the Melody Bar she had 'locked' her daughter in the house 'so she could not get out'.  The next day, Robyn complained to a friend she had been ill and not eaten for days.  But, on July 24, Robyn texted her gran claiming she felt 'a lot better'.  However, a friend of Goldie saw the 'drained' girl that day and told the mum: 'She's just not well.'

That night, Robyn told Goldie to get help as she had 'pain all over', but the court heard she refused to get her daughter an ambulance.  Another friend of Goldie said he would go instead with Robyn in a taxi to hospital but stopped him claiming the girl was 'attention seeking'.  The next day, Robyn begged a neighbour to get her an ambulance as she could not breathe, only for her mother to yell at her to 'get in'.  On July 26 the day Robyn passed away it is 'thought likely' an ulcer in the teenager's stomach burst, the court heard.  That morning, Goldie had turned away a social worker through her letterbox, telling her that Robyn had been 'unwell since last Thursday'.   But despite her daughter being ill, Goldie went to the pub. When she returned home with a friend to find an unresponsive Robyn slumped on a sofa.   Miss Edwards: 'Goldie and the man got another drink from the fridge and went outside 'because the weather was nice'.'  The friend later checked on Robyn again and discovered she was dead. An ambulance was called but Goldie told paramedics: 'She's at it.'

It was only when paramedics told her that her daughter was dead that a 'wailing' Goldie said: 'No, she cannot be.'

Goldie later told police she thought Robyn had a bug, but had been getting better. She again claimed to think her daughter had been 'trying to wind her up'.  Miss Edwards: 'She said she had told Robyn that ambulances are for people with heart attacks.'

Robyn was found to have died from peritonitis as a result of a perforated ulcer.  A senior medic concluded that had the teenager been treated during her illness, she would have been 'expected to survive'.  The court heard Goldie who still lives at the same house in which Robyn died had suffered a brain injury following a car accident when she was a child.  In 2003, she was an in-patient for mental health issues, but stopped taking her medication.  The hearing was told she does not appear to have had further treatment.  Lord Beckett continued her bail meantime. He told her: 'It is a serious case, but I want more information before deciding what to do.'