Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 44979 times)

PippaJane

  • Administrator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 856
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2026, 04:54:11 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/04/when-the-winds-of-life-swirl-do-this?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_q4Eg-oeCCCBveOOFmzc1IW19MPIpCynqjjF8zidYEujwg8_i8JdS4lW3n4UB5szJDAgy0a9rfRUbDLNR9lT0f1P1JbQ&_hsmi=352313496&utm_content=352313496&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When the Winds of Life Swirl, Do This
April 4, 2025
by Katy McCown

“Their mother has been unfaithful … She said, ‘I will go after my lovers, who give me my food and my water, my wool and my linen, my olive oil and my drink.’” Hosea 2:5 (NIV)

Several years ago, on live TV, I watched a man who dared to cross a gorge thousands of feet deep on a tightrope without a net.  Of course, the man had prepared for this event. He was, in fact, a professional tightrope walker. Still, his quest was dangerous and would've had real, irreversible consequences had it gone wrong.  In today’s key verse, we encounter God’s people facing the real, irreversible consequences that came with veering off the path of God’s unconditional love. In the book of Hosea, God instructed the prophet Hosea to marry an unfaithful woman. This marriage then served to represent Israel’s unfaithful relationship with God. Hosea spoke of his wife, symbolic of Israel, in our key verse:  “Their mother has been unfaithful … She said, ‘I will go after my lovers, who give me my food and my water, my wool and my linen, my olive oil and my drink’” (Hosea 2:5).

Hosea cited food, water, clothing and drink as the things God’s people looked to gain from other gods. Israel had stopped listening to the loving voice of their Father and found themselves hedged in, held back and headed for disaster (Hosea 2:1-13).  When I read verses like this, I wonder how God’s people could have drifted so far from the path. I certainly want to avoid the same outcome! I think we can find an answer to this question back on the tightrope.  As the man took one calculated step at a time, the wind blew sometimes so hard he had to squat down and wait for the gusts to calm. Despite my doubts, he made it across, and I believe there was one crucial thing that allowed him to stay the course safely and successfully.  As he traversed the gorge, his father spoke into a microphone linked to an earpiece his son was wearing. The father encouraged, supported and guided him along his way. As the father talked, the son walked.  If only we will choose to hear our heavenly Father's voice and follow Him (Hebrews 3:15; Matthew 13:15)! When we desire protection, provision or peace, the Bible assures us that in Christ, we have all we need (2 Peter 1:3). Jesus is the Bread of Life and the Living Water (John 6:35; John 4:10-14). He urges us not to worry about our lives but to count on His perfect provision (Matthew 6:25-26).  Often we may be inclined to silence God’s voice and go our own way. But today, let’s stay alert to His calling. When the winds of life blow, may we remember what Christ has already secured for us and choose to trust, listen to and follow Him, one step at a time. 

Lost Soul

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 308
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2026, 03:43:35 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/07/jesus-will-give-you-rest?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--Op2EIsf3As5XM9_loUWJiWyxsLHdn5YOQdpD7MjPvifKn5RV77yH0vJ7X2TrbhOLOzrw0PAP-DNFV5RH_3F2NWBnviA&_hsmi=352935395&utm_content=352935395&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Jesus Will Give You Rest
April 7, 2025
by Dana K. White

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 (NIV)

I love staying in an Airbnb. The best part?

Someone else has made all the decisions for me.  The decor might not be what I’d choose, but I didn’t have to choose it. That means I automatically like it. Where should the dishes go?

What is the best spot to store extra pillows?

Who cares?

Wherever the owner puts the coffee cups or bowls is fine with me. I usually don’t even mind the required cleanup procedures because they’re listed out, and I just need to check them off. No decision-making needed.  Decision fatigue is a thing. Emotional exhaustion is real. Sometimes I think to myself, I’m tired! only to realize I feel physically fine. It’s my brain that’s desperate for rest spiritual rest. Relief from the weights upon my mind and soul.  I used to think of rest as stopping. As a state of zero responsibility and zero effort expended.  But those moments are rare and unpredictable. I can’t schedule a work emergency to happen at a “good time.” When my kids were little, I couldn’t know when a stomach virus would hit. And now that they’re in college, I can’t predict when a “Mom, can you talk?” text will come. I thought I’d planned out my year, only to find out my parents want to downsize their home. It’s important to me to help them.  Still, rest is possible because Jesus promises it. He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

Thankfully, He explained how: “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:29, NIV).

Jesus promises rest for our souls. Rest for the emotionally exhausted and stressed.  According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, a “yoke” is “a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plow or cart that they are to pull.”  Jesus isn’t saying He’ll help us nap. He’s saying to get under His yoke with Him. He eases the emotional exhaustion from so many of life’s hard things. He removes the angst of constant decision-making because we can walk alongside Him on the path He makes clear. As Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths” (ESV).

Walking with Jesus, living life alongside Him, is rest. He gives rest to your soul in the midst of all the responsibilities of your life.

Cocopops

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2026, 10:49:46 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/08/i-have-more-than-enough?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8e-4jJm-o8PSVGMeBvej3STT7FMPdYma23Hrea6VcKG9wMWvw4ZpUcG5_O309-T4BWx0X1qryO4nmy514zaXXn30pPhg&_hsmi=352936251&utm_content=352936251&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

I Have More Than Enough
April 8, 2025
by Shirlee Abbott

“The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.” Psalm 23:1 (NIV)

When my sons were little boys, they eagerly collected Star Wars action figures. The back of each package displayed a tiny picture of every available figure. Even before they freed the new character from its cardboard wrapper, they studied the back.  “I don’t have this one or this one or this one ....”

They focused on what they lacked.  One day, I’d had enough. “No more action figures no more spaceships! Make do with what you have.”

All too often, I’m like those little boys. I focus on what I don’t have: the latest fashion, a bigger salary, more social media followers. Like my children, I fail to notice my many blessings: comfortable clothes, means of supporting my family, my real-world friends.  I wonder what does God think when I focus more on what I don’t have than on what I do have?

What would it be like to make do with what I have?

Much to my surprise, the edict I issued to my sons opened a door to creativity. Over the next months, our boys constructed a room-size space station out of shoeboxes, paper towel tubes, and “treasures” given to them or picked out of the trash. Their action figures lived in a labyrinth of interconnected rooms. There was a cafeteria with tables and stools made from empty spools found in my sewing box. Cardboard walls and floors were covered in white tiles leftover from a neighbor’s bathroom renovation.  What they had were assorted pieces of junk and their God-given imaginations. It was more than enough. This reminds me of our key verse, Psalm 23:1: “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.”

I, too, have more than enough to accomplish God’s purpose for my life. But when I focus on what I don’t have, I’m stuck thinking I need one more skill, one more opportunity, one more missing link to succeed.  With their eyes focused on plastic creatures created from someone else’s imagination, my children didn’t see the value in empty shoeboxes and cardboard tubes. Likewise, when I focus on someone else’s success, I don’t see the value in the resources and skills God has given me.  If I open my eyes, I discover my own boxes of opportunity: a talent to start using, a friend to encourage, a new way to serve. Like empty spools, old skills can be used in new ways. I can pick up the leftovers of a previous project and turn them into something very different.  Take this devotion, for example. It started with an old memory, which morphed into a casual comment, which reminded me of a Bible verse I memorized as a child. With writing skills God has allowed me to hone over the years, I had everything I needed to string together these words.  God has already provided what we need to do His will at this moment in time. We lack nothing.

Cocopops

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2026, 10:56:39 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/09/the-beginning-and-the-end?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--UPCqNBXlNNuJvAipuT6iDjQDthnMvQ6YmAAz5U8aHZl6SMdom1mAtFy94J5Rm1KJBVSXcuMvPizwQIPnX3j-Wihzupw&_hsmi=352938395&utm_content=352938395&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The Beginning and the End
April 9, 2025
by Carole Holiday

“‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘the one who is, who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.’” Revelation 1:8 (CSB)

My friend teaches high school English. So when his birthday approached, I thought it would be fun to make him a card with first lines from famous novels. Why would I be surprised, then, when he cleverly countered with a birthday card for me including famous novels’ last lines?

The first and the last. They stick in our minds, right?

Maybe God knew they would stick in our hearts as well.  In Revelation 1:8, the Lord God announces that He is both the first and the last: “‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘the one who is, who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.’”

Both beginning and end. The divine bookends of the universe. Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, and Omega is the last letter — so our key verse encapsulates God’s eternal nature with one stroke of the pen.  God’s story, as told in the Bible, is varied, complex and difficult at times. Hmmm sounds like our lives. But on either end of the tumult sits the Alpha and the Omega  anchoring the promise that what He has begun, He will complete. His story has starting blocks and a finish line. It ends with an exclamation upon which we can plant our flag of faith, a reminder of His sovereign title: “the Almighty” (Revelation 1:8).  When life feels uncertain and stormy, I remind myself I’m living in one volume of a very long story. The injustice, heartache or grief I’m bearing, bound in tears and toil, has an end.  And you, friend, who are living in a script you didn’t want or imagine, can count on an ending penned by the Almighty, who will finish the story with justice and the wiping away of your tears (Revelation 21:4).  When I feel depressed or sad, I try to find something to look forward to a grandchild’s birthday, a friend’s visit, a rainy day to simmer that yummy soup I’ve been dreaming about. It’s a good thing to anticipate something that makes me smile.  God wants us to anticipate the good that is coming too. I think that’s the whole point of Revelation, this incredibly dynamic last book of the Bible.  Read with me, again, the last part of Revelation 1:8: The Apostle John, the author, wrote a description of God as “the one who is to come.” Our longed-for, holy Father reminds us there is more on the horizon.  The One who is to come is what we can look forward to. He is who we can look forward to, anticipating that with one sweep of His hand, the world will be set right.

PippaJane

  • Administrator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 856
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2026, 04:16:50 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/16/worshipping-the-one-who-truly-matters-on-holy-wednesday?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8kxevZcHOA3iu3V2zjweOrctm_4I82yCZ1XEd_7FxxYiR6Q_PHyn4aoSsqAx3fXEyMgWvlKXrbaO88IqKlIX26Sm8NrA&_hsmi=354478685&utm_content=354478685&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Worshipping the One Who Truly Matters on Holy Wednesday
April 16, 2025
by Grace Valentine

“Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.” John 12:3 (NIV)

Editor’s Note: Today’s devotion is part of our Holy Week series! Journey with us as we experience the power of Jesus’ love, remember His sacrifice, and walk in the victory of His resurrection. We pray this series prepares your heart for the joy of Easter. Subscribe now.

If you’re anything like me, your to-do list can feel overwhelming:

    Go to the grocery store for eggs, milk and avocado (and hopefully salmon is on sale so I can make that healthy recipe).

    Wake up early for a work obligation (I’m already dreading the alarm).

    Check in on family members with declining health.

    Meet up with a friend I’ve been trying to see for two months.

I often find myself saying, “I need to do this,” as though everything will fall apart if I don’t. The truth is, much more often, I need to check my heart, remember who Jesus is and realign my priorities.  Sometimes I let my schedule, work, possessions, pursuits or social status take precedence. But when my focus shifts from Jesus to these things, I lose sight of true purpose and peace.  For instance, I remember a time in my life when work consumed me. Hitting numbers and meeting goals became my sole focus. At first, it seemed productive, even admirable. But gradually, without realizing it, I let it define me. I stopped prioritizing Jesus and began worshipping my work instead. I became less loving, less gentle, and definitely less like Jesus.  With worship in mind, Holy Wednesday invites us all to remember two pivotal events from the Bible:

    Judas agreed to betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver (Matthew 26:14-16).

    Mary of Bethany anointed Jesus with expensive perfume, showing her devotion to Him (Matthew 26:6-13).

On the same day Judas decided to betray, Mary chose to worship.  John 12:3 says, “Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.”

We face a similar choice daily: Will our priorities be selfish or holy?

True purpose comes from devoting time to humbly being with Jesus. When we prioritize anything else, like Judas, we lose sight of who we are meant to be.  Mary’s example shows us what it means to live with holy purpose. She worshipped Jesus, sat at His feet, and humbly surrendered her most valuable possession to Him.  This Holy Wednesday, I invite you to prayerfully reflect: In what ways have you prioritized the wrong things?

Are you living like Judas, trading eternal joy for temporary gains, or like Mary, finding peace and purpose in worship?

We will never find lasting peace and purpose until we sit at our Savior’s feet. Every day is an opportunity to offer ourselves to Him.

PippaJane

  • Administrator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 856
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2026, 04:21:36 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/17/jesus-prayed-for-you?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8oSdrBXYPNgzhPBr2m2r4Bjz_Ym9bAGac48wWG6T-XLQkK1v_JxQngdm5N1AbsBA4XHPb4e1of9jdpaxTw59KHGmbi-Q&_hsmi=354480839&utm_content=354480839&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Jesus Prayed for You
April 17, 2025
by Lysa TerKeurst

“I in them and you in me so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” John 17:23 (NIV)

Editor’s Note: Today’s devotion is part of our Holy Week series! Journey with us as we experience the power of Jesus’ love, remember His sacrifice, and walk in the victory of His resurrection. We pray this series prepares your heart for the joy of Easter. Subscribe now.

In John 17, we find the last words Jesus shared at His final meal with His disciples on Thursday during Holy Week.  Even though I treasure reading about the last moments of Jesus’ earthly life with His friends, at the same time, my heart aches. He knew all that was about to happen to Him. Within hours of this last time together, He knew:

One of His friends would betray Him …
The others would not stand with Him …
He would soon endure extreme brutality all alone …

And yet, somehow, He was focused enough to stay very present in this moment instead of living in dread of the horrific moments to come.  It astounds me how present and giving Jesus was during the Last Supper. Jesus and the disciples ate, drank and talked together. He washed their feet. He watched Judas walk out the door.  Then He prayed. For Himself, for the disciples and for you and me.  The fact that Jesus thought of and prayed for us in these final hours also astounds me. I need to read what He prayed. But even more importantly, I need to live what He prayed: “that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me” (John 17:23).

Of all the many things He could have prayed for us, it was unity and love.  This feels a bit complicated in our world that is divided on issues where many have loud opinions, express strong objections, and feel very justified in getting offended by almost anything.  I get it. There’s a lot of wrong that should be addressed, justice that should be defended, and evil that should be stopped. There’s also so much we don’t understand or have answers for.  But when I reflect on Jesus’ words at the Last Supper, I wonder if there’s a more unified way we, as Christians, are supposed to be doing this. We have an enemy, but it’s not each other. In light of Jesus’ last prayer for us before He went to the cross, I wonder if we all need to remember this: While we can be divided in our opinions, we can be a little more united in our compassion for one another.  After all, so much of what shapes the opinions and objections we express comes from some deep pain we’ve felt or walked through with someone we love. Hurt shapes us for better or worse.  Jesus knew this. He had all the answers, and yet He still wept (John 11:35). Maybe that’s why He prayed for unity. Maybe it’s not the kind of unity where we all agree about everything but where, in the middle of disagreements, we can remember we are all carriers of pain and sorrow. Even if we don’t see eye to eye, surely we are so very alike in what makes us cry.  Even if we are completely divided on some opinions and ideas, we can remember we’re so very united in our tears and our love for Jesus. And in that shared commonality, believers show the world that with Jesus, unity and peace are possible.  You see, when there is that kind of unity between us, the world looks a lot more beautiful around us. And others will know by our unity and love that Jesus was sent by God to redeem the world.  Today, may we each choose to embrace a God-honoring unity and love in our lives. We honor Him most when we live His prayer.

heartbroken

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 349
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2026, 11:51:29 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2025/04/20/from-grief-to-glory-the-women-who-ran-to-share-the-good-news?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8rFOL0MavU1VJS6eNc1EAlFMRzuAY3AvWtqmpj0cWTvL8LnFnMHT4-7WxSwEQh1TY3PRfflPnrjDY9txoFElyEwZq7lQ&_hsmi=354486940&utm_content=354486940&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

From Grief to Glory: The Women Who Ran To Share the Good News
April 20, 2025
by Dorina Lazo Gilmore-Young

“So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples.” Matthew 28:8 (NIV)

On the first Easter Sunday, some women rose to bring spices to anoint Jesus’ dead body but what they witnessed was miraculous.  An angel dressed in gleaming white revealed to them that Jesus had risen from the dead. The angel invited the women to come and see where Jesus had lain, then go and tell His disciples. These ladies had the opportunity to run for God’s glory. And that’s exactly what they did (Matthew 28:2-8).  I coach track and field at the high school my daughters attend. One of my athletes has a T-shirt that says “I run like a girl” on the front and “Try to keep up” on the back. Every time she wears that shirt, I am filled with delight. The shirt is a tongue-in-cheek statement to those who believe girls must run slower than boys.  Still, I’ve always taught my girls we don’t run merely to beat the boys or prove ourselves to the world. We run for God’s glory.  When the Gospel writer Matthew described the scene at Jesus’ tomb, he quoted the angel as saying: “‘Go quickly and tell his disciples: “He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.” Now I have told you.’ So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples” (Matthew 28:7-8, NIV, emphases added).

God could have announced His Son’s resurrection in a myriad of grandiose ways, but He chose to send an angel first to go and tell women whose lives had been transformed by His Son.  The Gospels mention that among these women were Mary Magdalene, whom Jesus delivered from seven demons; another Mary, mother of James; Salome, mother of James and John; and Joanna, wife of Chuza, Herod’s servant, whom Jesus healed and partnered with throughout His ministry (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:1; Luke 24:10). These faithful women walked with Jesus, ate with Him, and listened to Him teach. Many women were there the day He was crucified and the night His body was buried (Matthew 27:55).  At the opening of the empty tomb, they leaned in close to see for themselves as eyewitnesses. Then they ran joyfully to share the Good News.  Can you fathom the grief and sorrow these women had endured just days before? Have you ever felt like all hope was lost, only to discover there was good news on the other side?

Imagine these women picking up their skirts and running with all their strength, soaring like eagles, until they reached the feet of Jesus, where they fell down in worship (Matthew 28:9-10). They ran like the girls God created them to be, sharing about His resurrection and so can we.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 11:55:53 AM by heartbroken »