Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 30277 times)

Cocopops

• View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2024, 07:11:33 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/01/11/the-enemy-is-already-a-defeated-foe?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--_d8kxzwmbF5ShqXfiTBfDqO0Fh0aD6vHSBB3MwIvmUJkv8hUpBdmAKiufLInzsV-AnfH1XjIa8imJ88DEWdNFcFmIbQ&_hsmi=286594155&utm_content=286594155&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The Enemy Is Already a Defeated Foe
January 11, 2024
by Lysa TerKeurst

“Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8 (ESV)

I’m not a fan of lions. They aren’t picky with their food choices. Whether you’re a gazelle that got separated from your herd or an uninformed human sleeping in a tent where lions roam, they’ll think you look delicious.  When my family and I went back to the continent where my two sons were born, I got to experience this terrifying reality firsthand.  The guides assured us the lions wouldn’t come. Not true.  Right when I was falling asleep, a creature brushed the length of my tent and wait for it roared! As he brushed the tent again, my imagination fired off one horrific outcome after another.  Though I never stepped outside the tent, I suffered a brutal attack of the mind. I let the lion get the best of my thoughts.  But we don’t have to go to Africa to get stalked by a lion. We see this in the way Peter warned believers against the devil in 1 Peter 5:8: “Be sober‑minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”

The enemy isn’t just looking to distract you, tempt you, or pull you slightly off course. He’s looking to devour you. But we must remember something crucial: The devil is vicious, but he’s not victorious. And, my friend, you have everything you need to defeat him.  We don’t have to live feeling powerless and deathly afraid. A closer look at 1 Peter 5:8-9 shows us how we can come out on the other side of these moments.   “Be sober‑minded; be watchful” is a reminder to be self-controlled. Words similar to these show up three separate times in Peter’s letter (1 Peter 1:13; 1 Peter 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8). The specific reason why is given in 1 Peter 4:7: “The end of all things is at hand” (ESV).

Satan knows the end is fast approaching. He is a defeated foe who has already suffered a fatal blow. But before he falls, he’ll try to make as many last kills as possible. With everything he’s got left, he’s coming after us. This is why we must be ever watchful.  While many of us don’t have lions regularly brushing by our homes, we do have daily encounters with the enemy. And just like the lion’s power over me that night stopped the minute the guards showed up, Satan is rendered powerless the moment we tap into the power of God’s Word, like we’re doing today in this devotion.  Here’s what I want you to remember: God’s promises are always a perfect match for our problems. And He is our perfect protection against the enemy.

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2024, 07:19:39 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/01/12/reframing-our-loneliness?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--Z2cxb4-7NOfAOSWQMjO2AHdMBO16rOYpWjyMei28Iu7fwfSX1MlnyMgBHkQPN5lgOzh_hX4NvGIDf5Pgs21HhlwdTmA&_hsmi=286594980&utm_content=286594980&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Reframing Our Loneliness
January 12, 2024
by Meredith Houston Carr

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there." Psalm 139:7-8 (NIV)

“What do you have coming up this week?”

I tried to disguise the crack in my voice as I answered my mom's question as casually as possible, not wanting her to hear the ache of isolation I felt. “Oh, this and that. You know, busy mom life.”

A cross-country move had left me miles away from family and friends. Sure, life was busy in this new place but busy is a poor substitute for relationships and the security of being known. Those days, loneliness felt like my only friend, a BFF so devoted she would never leave my side.  Perhaps you can relate. The friendships you desire haven’t materialized (or perhaps they’ve fallen by the wayside). The partner you’d hoped to spend your life with hasn’t shown up yet (or maybe decided to walk away). Your home that used to buzz with children’s laughter and light is all quiet now (or you’ve dreamed of this home but haven’t been able to build it).  Despite all the blessings in your life, there’s no denying it your heart feels the sorrowful squeeze of seclusion.  When loneliness strikes, the Bible provides comfort. In my season of solitude, I especially found encouragement in today’s key verses from Psalms, beautifully penned by David:  “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there” (Psalm 139:7-8).

In poetic form, David reminds us of the one crucial truth we can cling to for dear life when loneliness looms: We are never truly alone, no matter how void our hearts or homes feel.  God's watchful, unwavering presence wraps around us, even when others have walked away. His Spirit goes with us to the world’s farthest reaches or into the workplaces where we feel unseen. He holds us steady when grief gnaws at our souls and when the enemy whispers, You will never belong.  Like David, we can learn to reframe how we see lonely seasons not as a vacuum to fill but as an invitation into a deep and abiding fellowship with our heavenly Father. Through this lens, we can even learn to embrace lonely seasons as a unique opportunity to let Jesus fill our empty spaces. In the process, we’ll find that His presence provides an abundance no earthly relationship and no amount of numbing can match!  The next time loneliness squeezes your heart, let it be a reminder to lean into God’s unseen, unending presence.  Through prayer, tenderly turn over all your pain and tears to Him.  Then invite Jesus into your empty places, dear one and prepare to enjoy the comfort of His closeness like never before.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2024, 05:15:41 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/01/22/you-have-everything-you-need-to-move-forward?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9dLhTwwDCoT65YfF-W-5aBX4MKeEAd0mM51JS5pEuGu1HnCOHek5FXTztvIpOVyGaNVyrDP8yZK327ASHqQL1u_uQogQ&_hsmi=289513548&utm_content=289513548&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

You Have Everything You Need To Move Forward
January 22, 2024
by Abby McDonald

“Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105 (NLT)

Three hours on the road by myself normally would have been pure bliss, especially as a mom of three. But this morning was different.  Driving conditions made it impossible for me to relax. I gripped the steering wheel as I made my way through a heavy downpour. A thick layer of fog obscured any visibility for more than a few hundred feet ahead.  Thankfully, after a couple of hours on the road, God gave me a sign that I was headed in the right direction. In the distance, a burst of sunlight appeared. Because my weather app promised sunny skies at my destination, this light helped confirm my route.  Do you ever wish God would give you a sign in your spiritual life?

Lord knows I have. At times, I’ve questioned whether a goal I wanted to pursue was from Him. I longed to see a light telling me I was headed in the right direction. Other times I felt nudged to take a step of faith in my community, but I hesitated.  A look into Scripture shows this desire for confirmation isn’t new. But we also see that while we may sometimes receive signs from God, His Word is always a light that directs our steps. In our key verse, the psalmist says, “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path” (Psalm 119:105).

As I read this verse, some key facets stand out to me.  First, the lamp’s purpose is to guide our feet, not to tell us what’s miles ahead. And second, the lamp is a tool. Like any tool, it is only effective when we’re holding it, using it for its intended function. If we stay stagnant, the light will only illuminate what’s around us, and its glow will only reach so far. But if we move forward, its effectiveness will have no end. Each step forward will show us the next one as more of the path is revealed.  A faith that propels our feet forward isn’t guided by a light in the distance. The Light of the world, Jesus, is already here. And how does He direct us?

Psalm 119:105 notes one primary way: through His Word. As we take steps of obedience, He is faithful to lead.  I question His direction the most when my time with Him wanes. But when I’m intentional in prayer and reading His Word, He guides me with these questions:

Does this step glorify Him?
    Does this step show my love for Him and His people?

Friend, if the answer to these questions is “yes,” then you and I can move forward with confidence. God wants us to live lives filled with purpose and joy, but we can’t do that if we don’t act. Let's go in His love and be empowered.

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2024, 03:48:56 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/11/24/tell-god-your-troubles?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-99s6FDuTvBuNFku1IMtiWY6fq9f3BrF1RZYm3uwKpX8ROZegI2BY1S9n3Uc1fjPNb9Iv-HlClUoOgb8S5fpDkt-agpDA&_hsmi=279932197&utm_content=279932197&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Tell God Your Troubles
November 24, 2023
by Karen Wingate

“Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Psalm 62:8 (NIV)

After a long bus ride and multiple days at a conference on a large university campus in frigid winter weather, I became dehydrated. So I sought the advice of one of my suitemates, who was a nurse.  Still anxious about the return bus ride, I then expressed to my other suitemates that I had doubts about her advice.  “I heard that.”

My nurse-roommate stood in the doorway. “If you have problems with what I said, why don’t you talk to me instead of about me?”

Whoops.  She made a good point. And how often do I do this same thing with God?

I think of that encounter with my conference suitemate when I read today’s key verse, Psalm 62:8: “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.”

So often, I’m guilty of fretting and stewing over a situation, failing to remember that God has heard every word of my mental grumbling.  I’ve complained about God rather than complaining to God.  Why do I hesitate to tell God what’s on my mind?

Perhaps I’m afraid I might sound like I don’t trust His care for me. And doesn’t the Bible say we shouldn’t grumble or complain?

The truth is we can pour out our anguish to God in a way that shows genuine trust instead of a grumbling spirit: Lord, I trust You enough to admit I’m having problems with this. I think You can do something about it, and I believe You won’t reject or ridicule me for feeling the way I do.  In a type of psalm called a "lament," David often prayed through his complaints in three steps:

He poured out his anguish directly to God.
    He processed through the hard moments.
    He praised God for His goodness and power.

David showed a lot of humility and courage in admitting his true feelings to God. His relationship with God was deep, and he knew God held the answers to the dilemmas he faced. Like my nurse friend, who knew more about dehydration than the rest of my suitemates combined, God knows more about the diagnosis and remedy for our problems than all the collective experts on earth. Only He can fully fix whatever we face.  Now, when I catch myself worrying, I’ve learned to hold nothing back from God. I allow myself to tell Him, Life feels unfair, this is hard, and I don’t think I can do this. I say it as if God is in the room sitting beside me rather than overhearing me at the doorway.  And something beautiful happens. The Holy Spirit reassures me of God’s promises that He knows, cares, stays with me, and has the power to resolve what I’m facing, all in His best timing. If I revert to inner grumbling, the Lord is one thought away, ready to have another chat with me about His promises. He is so merciful!  God is our safe place. He invites us to trust Him enough to cry out to Him and tell Him everything.  Try it. Tell God exactly what is happening and how you feel about it. End your prayer in praise for what you know God can do. He wants the best for you, and He cares very much about what is happening in your life.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2024, 06:05:27 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/02/when-you-want-to-get-off-the-worry-wheel?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9HfjclpR53NKaDrsSYlIKjD8GcPctE0_f53PWQlFc0NQTeV1_cp8JKJfj5Q7zpQ-Bw63idkWmenkjhneOkvXLH3pj5eQ&_hsmi=290704599&utm_content=290704599&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When You Want To Get off the Worry Wheel
February 2, 2024
by Kayla Ferris

“But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope ...” Lamentations 3:21 (ESV)

I had survived the worst stomach bug of my life. My weak and dehydrated body eventually recovered, but my thoughts couldn’t seem to do the same. For months, I would imagine getting sick again. Fear and worry had taken up residence in my brain with no plans to leave.  What do we do when negative thoughts threaten to take over?

In his suffering, the writer of Lamentations said, “My soul continually remembers it” (Lamentations 3:20, ESV).

Negative thoughts are like a ride at the fair, spinning around and around except this worry wheel isn’t fun and doesn’t plan to stop.  Then the poet made one small shift in a different direction: “But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope ...” (Lamentations 3:21).

That verse changes everything. It says God doesn’t leave us helpless to spiral in negative thoughts. We can direct our brains to choose a different path. We can “call to mind” hope (Lamentations 3:21) and train our brains toward better thought patterns.  What might this look like for us today?

Lamentations says:

We can recall the “steadfast love of the LORD,” which “never ceases” (Lamentations 3:22, ESV). Worry has no memory of good moments. It skips the times God was faithful to us in the past. So to fight back, we can deliberately recall the goodness of God in our past and proclaim it for our future.

We can ground ourselves in the present. Our minds get stuck when we dwell on the past or fixate on the future, but God’s mercies are “new every morning” (Lamentations 3:23, ESV). They are for us today. Maybe you can try saying what you're sensing: “I see the trees God made, feel my sweater, hear birds singing ...”  Maybe when your thoughts begin to spiral, you switch to your alphabetical gratitude list: I’m thankful for apples, blankets, coffee.  We can train our brains to come back to today and look for God’s goodness here.

We can declare our eternal reality: “The LORD is my portion” (Lamentations 3:24, ESV). We always have Jesus, both in this life and eternity. Even if the worst does happen, our future remains secure. Sometimes we have to look that spiraling thought in the eyes and say to it, Jesus is my portion. He was, is and always will be enough for me. And you, worry, have no place here. We can fight fear confidently because in Jesus, heaven is already ours.

It is OK to come before God with our honest thoughts and feelings. He loves us and wants to help us step off the spinning wheel of worry, fear or negative memories. When we do step off that ride, standing on the solid ground of God’s Truth feels oh so good.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2024, 11:59:02 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/05/one-simple-thing-jesus-is-calling-you-to-do-today?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_4FHF9PCeSATLHj_0m-KJKPk1jpDq_uu1UKKZILWbcoA7QoI7KWXvV67Z5LV4XW9iMW76wT-sGxwneoDK5vqr75QIidA&_hsmi=291499158&utm_content=291499158&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

One Simple Thing Jesus Is Calling You To Do Today
February 5, 2024
by Asheritah Ciuciu

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:34 (NIV)

Have you ever wondered what being one of Jesus’ 12 disciples was like?

I have.  As Creator of the universe, Jesus could have chosen any number of ways to establish His Kingdom, but personal relationships with messy people is the way of love.  Jesus invited these 12 to come close, to join Him behind closed doors, and to witness the miracles recorded in Scripture plus many more (John 21:25). He explained hard teachings to them. He answered their questions. He bestowed on them honor, even calling them His friends.  Jesus chose these disciples not just to learn His doctrine but to be with Him, to be loved by Him because He delighted in them. And then He gave them their great assignment: “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another” (John 13:34).

Notice that what Jesus required of His disciples was not Bible knowledge, zeal for evangelism or passion for social justice. Those are all good things. But the thing that defines a friend of Jesus?

It’s love: “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:35, NIV).

Love. That sounds so simple, but it can feel oh so hard especially when we’re trying to muster up more love on our own.  But that’s not what Jesus is calling us to do. Instead, Jesus invites us to be with Him and to be loved by Him. Inevitably, His love will pour out of our hearts onto others. You see, time with Jesus changes us. Even opponents of His disciples Peter and John recognized that they had spent time with Jesus and had become courageous (Acts 4:13) because a person cannot spend time with love Himself and remain unchanged.  And while none of us got to be one of the 12 disciples, each of us can still experience Jesus’ tender love. Through His death, resurrection and ascension to our Father, Jesus invites us His followers today to receive His love and presence through the gift of His Spirit within us (Romans 5:5).  We were the messy ones when Jesus gave Himself for us. And let’s be honest: We’re still pretty messy most days, aren’t we?

But He still loves us. And because we’ve been loved by Jesus, we get to go and love others with His love.  As we enter the upcoming season of Lent, consider this: How is Jesus inviting you to experience His love more deeply in the coming months?

May we be women who love in such a way that others know we have been with Jesus.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2024, 12:04:01 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/06/when-all-is-lost-whisper-these-words?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8AisdJwE6QXt4brEb79GUncj3h-RqX0xX6TiXqmCB93juvhiIirVTy2F6d_kv8vB6SqlJLsljSVccM3hB4IKXuts5m_A&_hsmi=291499525&utm_content=291499525&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When All Is Lost, Whisper These Words
February 6, 2024
by Rachel Marie Kang

“About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?' (which means 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?')” Matthew 27:46 (NIV)

There was a time in my life when honey didn’t drip from my lips. A time when I spoke from only bitterness and anger. Frustrated, I would curse. Broken, I would talk badly about anyone in my path. Hopeless, I would hurl whatever words came out of my mouth.  When I think back on this time, remembering those days in middle school and high school, I now realize my words reflected the inner turmoil of my world. I was in pain and I felt all was lost. I pulled phrases of expression from the well of my anguish.  Yes, sometimes grief begs for silence. But other times, it’s as if grief begs to be honest and be heard. The way my pain made itself heard was sometimes uncontrolled but it makes me think of Jesus’ sinless grief when metal was nailed into the thin skin of His wrists, those small bones bearing the weight of His whole body. It makes me think of that moment when He bled from His back, bearing our wounds.  Jesus, tormented, hung on the cross, forsaking all opportunities to bring Himself down, all reasons to save Himself, to prove He was (and is) in fact the King of the Jews.  He hung in humanness, perhaps with memories of His earthly life flashing before His eyes. He hung in holiness, eternal love holding Him to that cross. He hung, taking upon His shoulders the sin of the world, all while He endured the greatest grief. And as He did, He uttered the only words that would display the depth of the pain He felt:  “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46).

But those aren’t just any words Jesus mustered up. What’s really going on is that Jesus was reciting Psalm 22, the ancient Word instilled deep within His soul. In the moment of His deepest grief, Jesus turned to and spoke from the Truth He knew. He spoke from the well that is the Word.  It makes me wonder about all our moments filled with grief and rage and pain. Though we are broken over all that feels lost, might our words drip with the rich, foundational principles of our faith?

Though we navigate trauma and tension, might our words tell the story that we are still tethered to God?

Perhaps even when all is lost, we, as Jesus did, can whisper the Word.

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2024, 10:40:11 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/08/how-do-i-know-what-god-wants-me-to-do?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_T1Co0FH7ZfLNG6A-DPEgWtlw1HPhEsvqRMdAOzd-3FvLBiu3sjtkZ1iMHPffL6Tjji532f0os_k9w9uwF2g3HcjYsSw&_hsmi=291500419&utm_content=291500419&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

How Do I Know What God Wants Me To Do?
February 8, 2024
by Lysa TerKeurst

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 (NIV)

When I was making decisions, I used to assume there was always one correct choice. And to stay in God’s will, I must figure out that exact choice.  I would ponder and pray. Ask friends. Google for answers. Read the Bible. Look for confirmations that pointed in one direction or another.  But then I wondered.  Is God’s will really this complicated?

It’s great to ask friends and look for confirmation from others. But what if God is more concerned with us looking for Him than looking for answers?

We want big directional signs from God. God just wants us to pay attention to Him and ask Him what our best “yes” is amid all the choices.  Not long ago, I heard a story that shook me to the core. It had been a busy day at a local restaurant with lots of customers coming and going. But at one point, a guy came up to the manager and handed her a card. He told her, “This is for your staff.” And with an emotional catch in his throat, he said, “I just wanted to make sure they knew.”

The customer then turned and left as the manager tucked the card into her apron pocket.  Later, she opened the card directed to the staff. It thanked them not for their service or the food but for their smiles.  The customer explained that he’d made plans to take his life that day. But their gift of simple conversations with simple smiles gave him the gift of hope.  When I heard this story, I cried. Something stirred deep inside of me.  I believe this is a beautiful picture of how God’s will works for believers in Jesus. He intersects our lives with those who need His hope and whispers to us, You have the hope they need.  Give it to them.  Maybe we start by offering someone a little of our time, sharing our story, or simply smiling. And when we do, a shift happens. It’s like the world splits open with each of our acts of obedience, and God’s light breaks apart the world’s darkness.  Our key verses today say, “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:14-16, NIV).

God wants us to let our light shine. This is His will. This is His plan. This is His instruction.  The more we pay attention to these moment-by-moment instructions from God, the more our thinking starts to line up with His. Our minds get in a new rhythm of seeing what He wants us to see so we can do what He wants us to do.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2024, 06:31:59 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/09/wilderness-living?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8CVaVhQgzdxM7l1lzny8IjsChDbPm9ReCp1Bag5kL3g-nlM2_pEce8NIBWgrNHU-4-fDwt1_uP-D0yTzUkNXpS3Xwz7A&_hsmi=291499480&utm_content=291499480&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Wilderness Living
February 9, 2024
by Sarah Freymu

“Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: ‘I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go.’” Isaiah 48:17 (ESV)

When my husband and I moved into our first home a massive renovation project in a new town excitement filled me, but so did trepidation.  I didn’t know where this new season would lead, and I don’t do well with change. I didn’t know what wilderness lay before me. On top of that, I was healing from an arduous stretch of physical and mental strain. It all left me vulnerable and admitting I didn’t have it all together.  Would this stretch remind me of the barren years behind me?

Would the panic of not knowing what’s ahead keep me from partaking in a potentially beautiful present?

Much like in Exodus 13:21, when His people were walking in the wilderness, God became my cloud by day and pillar of fire by night, leading me where I could not see and protecting me when old doubts and fears began to reintroduce themselves. One shaky step at a time, I was held, directed and comforted.  We wish to forge on fast and straight, like one swift trip across the waters of life. But it almost never works that well, does it?

There are crooked turns and twists, head-scratching and heart-rending moments. The journey never moves the way we mean.  Then we gripe and curl our fingers into fists and demand answers, bemoaning how we should have known better than to land here. It is a bitter herb to chew, this self-sufficiency.  Let go, God says, bringing us to a place of dependence on Him to give us what’s best.  Maybe it’s in this mud-slung stretch of wilderness living that our bones will grow strong and our hearts will grow soft. After all, it is the Lord who leads us where we should go.  “Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: ‘I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go’” (Isaiah 48:17).

God directs our steps and makes them secure. It’s OK to admit we’re afraid or out of our element. God wants to hear our hearts’ cries; He wants to comfort, encourage and strengthen us through our times of struggle. The more out of sorts we feel, the more we can lean into God, who has given us all we need along the way.  In the untidy tides of life, in sorrow and hope, in want and plenty, we may not know how to navigate the uncharted waters around and in us. But God gives us treasures on the way and teaches us a deeper trust that leads us closer to His heart even while we linger in the wilderness.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2024, 05:31:57 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/13/just-be-with-me-how-to-respond-to-grief?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--yZpDP_6r1avhRvtlVftfPD8DRFIWI01pK1IZvi0cseHUJWEqIOM7YLQue1Uwbo8-l6fMoe_5l7RV0DnfMDRzAs-yGEA&_hsmi=291604287&utm_content=291604287&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Just Be With Me: How To Respond to Grief
February 13, 2024
by Lynn Cowell

“a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance …” Ecclesiastes 3:4 (NIV)

Have you ever noticed the various reactions and responses you encounter when you’re hurting?

This past year, my family went through a season of suffering. During this heartbreaking time, I reached out to those who love me to ask them to pray for me and help carry our heavy burden.  As I shared our story with friends, I received very different responses.  One friend immediately began to weep, embracing me. Brokenhearted for us, she wept with me. Yes, she eventually encouraged me to trust God and forgive, but her first response was to cry with me. Just months prior, we had experienced “a time to laugh and a time to dance” together. Now she entered into “a time to weep a time to mourn” with me (Ecclesiastes 3:4).

Another friend, while her heart was in a good place, skipped the grieving, heading straight to encouragement. Her words, while true and even scriptural, were untimely and landed painfully in my heart.  Sometimes when a person we love comes to us in pain, I wonder if, as Jesus followers, we think we must immediately express faith for healing, belief for restoration, or hope for the future and if we don’t, we’re demonstrating a lack of faith, belief and hope. Or maybe we lean into the concept of “good vibes only,” attempting to help those grieving not to get stuck in negativity.  Yet Scripture tells us in Ecclesiastes 3:1, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens” (NIV). One of these seasons and times is “a time to weep a time to mourn” (Ecclesiastes 3:4).

Jesus Himself demonstrated so beautifully how to enter into grieving and lamenting with those who are hurting. When His friend Lazarus died, Jesus went to mourn with Lazarus’ family and community, and John 11:33 tells us His reaction upon approaching Lazarus' sister Mary:  “When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled” (NIV).

Jesus allowed Mary’s pain to impact Him. He was moved, even troubled. He wept (John 11:35). His expression of emotion didn’t indicate a lack of faith; He knew He would raise His friend from the dead (John 11:44). Jesus had faith and He lamented. He wept, hurt and felt for His friends.  Here is something I’m learning in my hurting season: To truly care for those I love is going to cost me something. It may cost my own heart hurting as I grieve with them. It may cost time as I sit with them in their pain. I may sacrifice financially as I give a gift or travel to be with them.  When we’re grieving and in pain, we need support and empathy from family and friends. When those around us are hurting, they need support and empathy as well. Let’s be people who learn both to receive and to give during times of need.

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2024, 12:37:59 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/15/its-ok-if-its-messy?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9yk-A8qDk1a1MCr-ce22HyRhDRwgz0xBMUrIyikxBAe0sIIRNTEFG2_hf0mgeqcGcAwotpMPqDJckT8UIqXmjXbxOueA&_hsmi=291606927&utm_content=291606927&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

It’s OK if It’s Messy
February 15, 2024
by Alicia Bruxvoort

“Cry aloud before the Lord, O walls of beautiful Jerusalem! Let your tears flow like a river day and night. Give yourselves no rest; give your eyes no relief.” Lamentations 2:18 (NLT)

“It’s OK if it’s messy,” I told my students as they opened their notebooks and began to write.

Of course, they knew I wasn’t talking about their penmanship; I was talking about life.  The teenagers in my classroom were more familiar with academic failure than success. And sadly, by the time we met, many of them had begun to believe their perceived deficiencies defined their worth. They often hid their ache beneath bravado or apathy, but behind those deft facades were wondrous and hurting humans longing to be understood.   couldn’t change my students’ pasts, but I could create a space of grace in the present. So I modeled authenticity and honesty. And each week, we paused our study of classic stories to candidly consider our own.  As my students grew to trust me, they often left their notebooks on my desk, corners creased on the pages they wanted me to read.    They weren’t performing for grades or striving for accolades. They were discovering the joy of being known, finding quiet relief as they realized they didn’t need to struggle alone.  I’m thinking about those students as I sit with my prayer journal this morning and talk to God about a disappointment I’m carrying.  My words are bewildered and sad, messy and mad. But they are honest.  The Bible calls this kind of prayer “lament.” Thankfully, it reminds us we don’t need to hide our hurt from God beneath polished words or plastic petitions. It’s OK to tell God the truth.  In fact, in the book of Lamentations, we meet a man who brought his cries and complaints to God. And his example gives us permission to do the same:  “Cry aloud before the Lord, O walls of beautiful Jerusalem! Let your tears flow like a river day and night. Give yourselves no rest; give your eyes no relief” (Lamentations 2:18).

Lament is an age-old practice rooted in relationship with God. It's an intimate dance of trust and truth-telling. At first glance, it may seem too audacious, but it's actually both reverent and courageous.  Lament is turning toward God instead of raging against Him.  It’s choosing authenticity over apathy and candor over pretense.  Lament is processing our pain in the presence of His love.  So as teardrops drizzle onto my journal page, I follow the example of the truth tellers before me, and I share my lament with Jesus. And when my words run dry (and my tears do, too), my heart swells with quiet relief. Because my cries don’t repel my Savior. They actually draw Him near (Psalm 145:18).  And as I relish His tender presence, I’m reminded of what is true: We are understood and fully known. And even when life feels messy, we do not struggle alone.

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2024, 12:51:21 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/20/how-to-stop-an-argument-before-it-starts?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9AKpVLIaHqkb6HrJKGyIf36kwrRlrrNCkz37RsIEY7xQBNtWIkOIyu0-sarTv1emj9Oi764eRXuloQz9ysGzZAmACc1A&_hsmi=292309769&utm_content=292309769&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

How To Stop an Argument Before It Starts
February 20, 2024
by Donna Jones, COMPEL Training Member

“Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.” Ephesians 4:25 (NIV)

During the first year of our marriage, my husband, JP, and I would often come home late from our jobs, put on our pajamas, and eat vanilla ice cream in front of the TV.  One evening, as we snuggled on our sofa, JP got up and headed for the kitchen. When he walked back into our family room with one bowl of ice cream, I was surprised.  “Where’s my bowl of ice cream?” I wondered aloud.

“What do you mean?” JP was genuinely confused.

“We always eat ice cream together. Didn’t you know I’d want ice cream too?”

“How could I know you wanted ice cream unless you told me?” JP said innocently.

He was sure his logic was airtight.  News flash: Conflict is rarely logical.  I shot off the couch, stomped into the kitchen, and jerked open the freezer door. Maybe it was exhaustion or low blood sugar; I have no idea why a ridiculous episode over ice cream made my blood boil. But it did.  At this point, JP uttered a single phrase that changed our relationship forever: “Expectation without communication leads to frustration.”

Ephesians 4:25 says, “Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.”

Most of us never consider a failure to communicate our needs, wants and expectations as a failure to speak the truth but it is. As a result, we create conflict in scenarios where truthful communication could help us avoid conflict.  Of course, “put off falsehood and speak truthfully” (Ephesians 4:25) also means lies or speculations are off the table. Any word not rooted in truth is not from God and will damage a relationship.

More subtle, though, are the words we don’t speak, like silent expectations, details we conveniently omit, secrets, or desires we hope our loved ones will “just know.” Perhaps this is why Ephesians 4:25 includes the words “each of you” and “must”: For the believer, truthful communication is not optional.  Admittedly, speaking the truth may feel uncomfortable if we’re unpracticed in expressing our expectations and desires. We’d rather drop hints like breadcrumbs and hope our family and friends figure out what we need. However, when we communicate our expectations on the front end, we eliminate exasperation on the back end. We trade relational problems for relational peace.  Expectation without communication will lead to frustration — if not immediately, then eventually.  The following night, JP and I sat snuggled on the couch. But this time, as he made his way to the kitchen, I called out, “I’d like some ice cream. Would you mind getting me a bowl too?”

Conflict averted and evening enjoyed!

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2024, 04:31:31 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/02/29/if-all-you-can-pray-is-lord-help-me?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9gfjf725hp8cSiZjrA6tTvJ0C4ylys3IG-4fv3efW2lgkwl-rqg_NSnbuay03wnexOGvSa5nNswmN0EC1Usqid-rr0eQ&_hsmi=293939111&utm_content=293939111&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

If All You Can Pray Is "Lord, Help Me"
February 29, 2024
by Beth Knight

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2 (NIV)

My son slumped into the car with a loud sigh, harshly plopping his backpack onto the back seat. “Mom, I wrote ‘help me’ on my paper at school today.”

My concerned eyes met his in the rearview mirror. “Who were you asking to help you?”

“I was asking God.”

My heart ached because I understood the desperation wrapped inside those two little words: Help me. I, too, had recently prayed several “help me” prayers. Maybe you’ve done the same.  In life, we all experience overwhelming circumstances. If we let them, these moments remind us how dependent we are on God. Like today’s key verse says, there’s hope in recalling where our help comes from:  “I lift up my eyes to the mountains where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1-2).

Psalm 121 is a “psalm of ascent,” a type of prayerful song that ancient Israelites would sing as they journeyed to Jerusalem to worship God at His temple. They faced uncertain terrain and dangers on the way. Yet as they lifted their gaze toward the holy city, they preached courage to their hearts, proclaiming their help was found in their Creator, not in creation nor in a destination.  After confidently declaring who was their help, they reminded themselves of how He would help them:

The Lord would ensure their feet wouldn’t slip (Psalm 121:3).
He would protect and preserve His people (Psalm 121:7-8).
He never sleeps, so His vigilant eye would always be on them, guarding them from evil (Psalm 121:4).

No matter what “help me” moment we find ourselves in, God is ever-present, supremely interested and personally invested. We, too, can look beyond what is made to behold our Maker, reminding ourselves that Jesus has unlimited power to save, keep and carry us safely home.  Our journey won’t always be easy. But the God who created the mountain before us is far greater than the dangerous climb. He’s enthroned on high but journeys with us down low, sovereignly watching over every shaky step.  Precious friend, there’s no shame in a simple “help me” prayer; it conveys desperation while expressing humble dependence. It confesses we don’t know the way, but we know the One who does.  When we’re weary of persevering, let’s boldly shout, Lord, help me!  When we don’t know how to help our child, let’s plead, Lord, help me.  When anxiety clouds our thinking, let's whisper, Lord, help me.  The Lord may not eliminate every problem on this side of heaven, but He walks with us through it all and hears our every cry.