Author Topic: A man born with one arm begins a career as a designer after getting a ....  (Read 1358 times)

heartbroken

• View Profile
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7962131/Man-born-one-arm-begins-career-designer-getting-BIONIC-arm-learning-draw.html

A man born with one arm begins a career as a designer after getting a BIONIC arm and learning to draw

Dan Melville, 27, from Reading got the bionic arm by firm Open Bionics in 2015
    Now runs Handy Dan's 3D Prints and sells his creations, such vases, and skulls
    Mr. Melville admits he's a 'massive geek' and draws a sketch of Baby Yoda in a clip

By Jemma Carr For Mailonline

Published: 20:37, 3 February 2020 | Updated: 20:37, 3 February 2020

A man born with one arm has launched a career as a designer after getting a bionic arm and learning to draw with it.  Dan Melville, 27 from Reading was born without a right hand.  He got a bionic arm in 2015 and his 'life completely changed'.  Dan Melville who was born with one arm launched a career as a designer after getting a bionic arm and learning to draw with it  He now runs Handy Dan's 3D Prints where draws and then prints his creations, which have included ornaments, vases, and even skulls.  In the clip, Mr. Melville admits he's a 'massive geek' and is seen drawing a sketch of Baby Yoda.  He said: 'I just want to draw my own fan art but with a bionic arm. Bit different I guess.'

He says he never traces his designs and claims that drawing freehand is a 'much better way of learning'.  He explains that drawing is tricky as he can't feel touch with his arm but says: 'The way that this technology is going, that soon enough I'll be able to hold and feel the pen.'

It all started when Mr. Melville's friend asked him to draw a picture of her using his new bionic arm.   She liked it so much that she offered him some money for it.  This planted the seed for Mr. Melville who went on to buy his first 3D printer for £1,500.  He started drawing up some designs for family and friends before going on to earn a commission.  He set up a printing company where all the designs were drawn by him and within a year, he was able to quit his job as a retail assistant to pursue his dream.  Mr. Melvill said: 'Before becoming a designer, I just worked in retail and I never thought the time would come where I could actually use my college qualification in design.  The bionic arm is definitely the push I needed to go into design because I wanted to be able to create something that's incredible and life-changing'.

The arm designed by firm Open Bionics uses pulses in Mr. Melvill's muscles to determine whether he wants to open or close his hand.  There is a button on the hand that changes the grip pattern, helping him to pick up both heavy and delicate objects.  Mr. Melvill said: 'The first year of starting my business was a quiet one but then it began to pick up and by the second year, I had quit my job working in retail.  I use my bionic arm to draw and it took a while for me to get the hang of it because you can't actually feel the pen in your hand or your hand at all but you learn how to do it.  Sometimes it turns out great, sometimes it turns out not so great. It's just about practice.  It has definitely changed my life for the better. I'm now doing something I love and that's the best part'.

But he said it doesn't come without challenges.  He said: 'Not being able to feel the pen makes it much, much harder.  I don't think people realise how difficult it is.'

In 2014, Mr. Melvill became an ambassador for Open Bionics a UK company that builds low-cost bionic arms for people with disabilities.  The company only began selling to the general public in 2018, once the prototypes had been tested.  The Prince's Trust helped Mr. Melvill get his foot on the ladder by offering him expert advice about starting a business from scratch.