Author Topic: Ewen MacIntosh who played Keith in The Office dies aged 50: Ricky Gervais....  (Read 410 times)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13108099/Keith-Office-dies-aged-50-Tributes-Ewen-MacIntosh-passes-away.html

Ewen MacIntosh who played Keith in The Office dies aged 50: Ricky Gervais calls actor 'an absolute original' as he leads tributes to comedian best known for his role in the hit BBC sitcom

By James Fielding and Arthur Parashar

Published: 09:23, 21 February 2024 | Updated: 12:42, 21 February 2024

Ricky Gervais today led tributes to 'absolute original' Ewen MacIntosh, the comedy actor best known for playing Big Keith in The Office, following his death aged 50.  MacIntosh was best known for playing a Scotch egg-loving accountant in Gervais' hit sitcom which became an instant comedy classic when it launched in 2001 and led to the creation of a smash-hit American version.  The Welsh actor, who also appeared in British comedies such as After Life, Miranda and Little Britain, had shared a photo of himself in hospital in February 2022 and told his fans that he was suffering 'bad times'.   Despite the enormous success of The Office, MacIntosh was declared bankrupt in 2016. Big acting roles were limited after this and he went on to find a new source of income, making special videos as Keith on websites such as Cameo during Covid.  His cause of death has not been confirmed but friends hailed the 'empathy and incredible care' of medical staff and nurses. MacIntosh, who is survived by his parents and brother, is not believed to have been married or had children.  Gervais led the tributes this morning, writing on X/Twitter: 'Extremely sad news. The very funny and very lovely Ewen Macintosh, known to many as 'Big Keith' from The Office, has passed away. An absolute original. RIP.'

Talent agency JustRight Management confirmed the star's tragic death in a statement which said: 'With great sadness we announce the peaceful passing of our beloved comedy genius Ewen MacIntosh.  His family thank all who supported him, especially Willow Green Care Home.'

The comedian's friend Ed Scott, an executive producer, paid tribute to those who looked after MacIntosh, writing: 'Thanks to the incredible care and love provided by the wonderful medical staff and especially the nurses who all loved him when he brought a smile to their days.  I saw first hand the empathy and incredible care they gave him was just so reassuring during the toughest of times and am forever grateful to them all.'

Mr Scott, the CEO of Dodged A Bullet Music, said he was 'completely devastated' by the loss of his 'very good friend', adding: 'He may have had a famous face known by millions as Keith from The Office but the person inside is what I will most remember.'

He continued: 'Ewen was so full of empathy, kindness, and integrity and above all a really good man.  Sending love to his parents Sara and Ewen Sr, his brother Colin and his family, as well as his many friends and fans.'

MacIntosh appeared in The Office from its first series in 2001, playing the role of an accountant with a passion for Scotch eggs.   In one iconic scene from the show between Big Keith and Tim Canterbury (played by Martin Freeman), MacIntosh hilariously takes a large, slow bite out of a Scotch egg while Freeman discusses performing a sexual act on himself.  In an interview with Vice in 2021, MacIntosh joked that he had no idea why Scotch eggs were chosen as his signature food and revealed the difficulties he and Freeman faced filming the scene.  My first scene with Martin [Freeman], where I eat the Scotch egg we had trouble doing that for some reason. It took ages to get that done. I got through a lot of Scotch eggs. I wasn't told about it. The props guy nipped out and bought them last minute,' he said.

As fans of The Office woke up to the devastating news, many have pledged to have a Scotch egg in the late actor's honour.  MacIntosh will also be remembered for a famous scene in which he is given an appraisal by office manager David Brent (Ricky Gervais).  As Brent lists off Keith's strengths and weaknesses, MacIntosh chews his gum and responds 'don't know' to everything he is quizzed on.   'Big Keith' had a monotone answerphone message and wanted to become DJ over being an accountant. Among his most memorable moments was when he dressed up as Ali G for Red Nose Day.  Despite a number of staff changes at the fictional Wernham Hogg paper firm, 'Keith' remained in the series until its last episode in 2003.  Out Of Office, The Office podcast, also said MacIntosh would 'always be fondly remembered firstly as a great guy, but also as a key part of the greatest British sitcom of all time. An excellent legacy to leave. RIP.'

As well as The Office, MacIntosh also partnered back up with Gervais when he starred in the final series of After Life as 'Buffet Man' a bloke who had been barred from an all-you-can-eat restaurant.  MacIntosh also featured in sitcoms Lead Balloon and Mongrels, while he had a small role in Yorgos Lanthimos's film The Lobster where he played a waiter opposite Colin Farrell and Olivia Colman.  As a comedian, he had a double act with Tim FitzHigham and the pair performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2007.  One of his final acting credits was when he played Lionel in the British romcom Finding Fatimah.   But it was Keith that MacIntosh will be best remembered for. He admitted in the Vice interview that people would often accidentally call him Keith instead of Ewen even on sets.  MacIntosh also said he 'can't really complain' about the popularity he gained from playing Keith as 'it's made me money'.

The actor would regularly send videos as Keith on the app Cameo.  Speaking about the demand on Cameo, MacIntosh said at the time: 'People always want a message from Keith, never from me. He's still getting me work, which is quite amazing when you think about it. When the lockdowns started, I was doing about 30 a week. Now it's down to maybe 10 or 20.'

TV channel Gold said: 'We loved him as Keith in The Office and were lucky enough to work with him over the years on the channel. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at such a difficult time.' Comedy producer Gina Lyons wrote: 'Heartbroken to hear a very special friend Ewen MacIntosh has passed away. He was such an incredibly kind and funny person. Eternally loved.'

Following his death, tributes poured in from social media users, with many sharing his hilarious Scotch egg scene with Freeman.  One user posted: 'Really sad to hear about Ewen Macintosh RIP. He was so brilliant in The Office as the scotch egg eating DJ accountant.'

Another wrote: 'Terrible news about Ewen MacIntosh, aka Big Keith from The Office. He turned what could have been a nothing role into something truly iconic, one of the great comedy performances. RIP.'

A third said: 'How incredibly sad. So many iconic moments in The Office. I only ever heard lovely things about him from people who had worked with him.'

And a fourth, sharing a clip of the Appraisals episode, posted: 'Sad to hear the news about Ewen MacIntosh - thanks to him for one of the best scenes from the UK Office. Never gets old.'

Others vowed to have a Scotch egg in MacIntosh's honour. One wrote: 'Rip Ewen MacIntosh aka Big Keith. I'm going to dress up as Ali G, have a Scotch egg, rewatch The Office as a tribute.'

Another wrote: 'I'll have a Scotch egg later for Big Keith.'

A third shared: 'Ah man this is sad. Saw Ewen live supporting Ricky Gervais and he was extremely funny and entertaining with his dry and dead pan humour. Rip Keith mate. I'll have a Scotch egg for you.'

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
 :(