Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 28679 times)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2024, 04:33:35 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/11/03/the-first-step-to-finding-belonging?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_lwOIp2Twc91Dkv_3vpad81Kzt9XUEqWgDPGzoVLx9lSkgv2vz4wWVrBHLnXYDhOUH8hcq7aarOay5bP3k9s9IEvWqcA&_hsmi=277168542&utm_content=277168542&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The First Step to Finding Belonging
November 3, 2023
by Katy McCown

“The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18 (ESV)

He burst through the door with her in his arms. The look on his face alerted me that something was very wrong.  Moments before, my daughter had been riding her bike alongside her older brothers on a beautiful spring day. She hit a bump and lost control, sending her face-first over the handlebars. Her jaw hit the pavement, and her cry followed the impact a cry that initiated her daddy’s response.  My husband, Luke, rushed to our little girl’s side and without hesitation scooped her up in his arms. He carried her into the house and started tending to her wounds. Later, X-rays and CT scans revealed she had broken her jaw in three places.  As we attempted to sleep that night, my husband and I made a bed of blankets and pillows in our room so our daughter could be near us as she slept. One small whimper from our sleeping girl moved her daddy out of the bed so he could once again scoop her up in his arms.  I’m not sure how much Luke slept that night, but our daughter slept soundly in her father’s arms. She didn’t wriggle out of his embrace or run to her own room. She was where she belonged close to her daddy, resting in the security and peace of his arms.  One definition of “belonging” is “the feeling of security and support when there is a sense of acceptance, inclusion, and identity for a member of a certain group.” When we belong, we’re right where we’re supposed to be.  Today’s key verse shows us the ultimate source of belonging in the midst of our brokenness: “The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18).

In our pain, our loving heavenly Father runs to us, is near to us, and comforts us with His presence and the peace only He can provide. In our pain, we belong close to our Savior. It’s the best place for us to be.  My daughter’s response to her father’s care didn't surprise me and probably doesn’t surprise you either: We recognize the blessing of a loving father who ran to his child and comforted her. We would expect her to receive that gift gladly and rest in it.  But when circumstances shatter our lives, instead of allowing God to come close and put our broken pieces back together, I think we sometimes pull away. Instead of allowing God to care for our wounds, we cover them and recoil. After all, wounds hurt, and we fear that exposing them will only hurt more.  But as with an untreated physical wound, untreated heart wounds grow more and more tender. Though covered up, the wounds get worse, and if they’re not treated, infection will spread and create even more hurt.  The first step to belonging is to bring our brokenness to Jesus. Instead of tirelessly trying to fix things ourselves, we can let Jesus put the broken pieces of our hearts back together.  God doesn’t want us to spend our lives endlessly trying to keep it together. He wants to heal us, fill us, and lead us to the rest found in His arms when we belong to Him.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2024, 02:17:45 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/11/17/the-gift-anxiety-gave-me?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9fgX4ZyvoxPpn6pRN1th-U9Was96S1jPUArV68zZvadg3jcxlX2rIu0J9CA9ibFnsm-v5zRIGy6h1WjON5QEkFXB6oNQ&_hsmi=279399142&utm_content=279399142&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The Gift Anxiety Gave Me
November 17, 2023
by Tessa Afshar

“The Israelite army fled, but Eleazar and David held their ground in the middle of the field and beat back the Philistines. So the LORD saved them by giving them a great victory.” 1 Chronicles 11:13b-14 (NLT)

Recently, a friend and I were catching up and exchanging updates about our schedules when she said something that surprised me: “Something is different about you. In spite of everything on your plate, I sense you have peace.”

She certainly wouldn’t have said that about me 20 years ago. Back then, I was going through a fierce internal battle. After an immobilizing season of burnout, the monster of anxiety had made itself at home under my skin, and nothing I did seemed to shake it.  Now, as I reminisce about our conversation, it dawns on me that the peace my friend noticed is the gift that anxiety has given my soul. While the enemy was pounding me with waves of fear, God was weaving threads of strength through the same pain.  A recent gift from my mother might help explain what I mean. Last year, when I went to visit her in England, she gave me a small rug a Persian Bijar that has been in my family for about 60 years. After surviving six decades, thousands of steps and three continents, the carpet is now a permanent fixture in my home, vibrant and plush under my feet.  The rug’s resilience comes from the fact that after every row of knots, Bijar carpets are given an additional weft an extra row of thread. This weft must be pounded into the row beneath with something like a hammer, creating an incredibly strong weave. It’s a little counterintuitive, but the pounding gives the carpet its longevity.   In a way, God wants to turn us into His Bijars.  He wants to use the thrashings of our lives the job loss, the cancer diagnosis, the death of a spouse, the betrayal of a friend, the unexplained depression to weave a divine strength into our hearts.  Twenty years ago, that’s exactly what He did for me. God used the very hammer of anxiety to add a weft of strength into my inmost being. Standing eye to eye with my worst fears every day and, through God’s strength, making it through to the next day, I eventually realized that anxiety doesn’t have power over Christ.  On a deeper level, I recognized that regardless of what happened to me, Jesus would hold me. Defend me. Keep me. Love me. In life or death, in sickness or health, He would remain with me. And He would be enough.  This doesn’t mean my battle with anxiety is over or that I’m cured. Anxiety no longer has a chokehold on me; I am not its slave. But it hasn’t completely left, either. I still feel its sting from time to time.  Yet now the old fear no longer paralyzes me. It doesn’t dictate the course of my life. Even when I am anxious, I have access to the peace of Jesus. That access has paved the way to a new resilience a strength that helps me bear the weight of life’s struggles.  The Bible tells of a battle that David fought against the Philistines. The odds must have been grim because his men ran away. They just fled the battlefield. But one man remained with David. In the face of impossible odds, Eleazar and David fought so bravely that God saved them with a great victory:  “The Israelite army fled, but Eleazar and David held their ground in the middle of the field and beat back the Philistines. So the LORD saved them by giving them a great victory” (1 Chronicles 11:13b-14).

We can be like David’s army, fleeing when the pressure is too much. Or we can allow God to pour a new strength into us by means of the very battle. The pounding can bring new strength.  Maybe right now, you are in a pounding season. Maybe you don’t feel strong enough to make it through another week. Maybe you are hammered by fear. By failure. By rejection. By insecurity.  Invite God to impart a divine gift through this pounding. Open your soul to His ministrations. Ask Jesus to grace you with added resilience.  Ask Him to make you His Bijar.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2024, 01:14:57 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/11/23/the-blessing-of-leftovers?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--2vsusvzEEcauaiOW7rH1Zkrm9zWAv6X99oEGbupAOG0U3L7V6ttamVtIheE_7wPXKLB7wP1uPWxUs2ADNP1ndK8C7Wg&_hsmi=279930133&utm_content=279930133&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The Blessing of Leftovers
November 23, 2023
by Shala W. Graham

“After everyone was full, Jesus told his disciples, ‘Now gather the leftovers, so that nothing is wasted.’” John 6:12 (NLT)

The notification on my phone said I had a new message in my “bestie” group chat. The text read, “Shala, this cake is gonna be big. I may need you to come pick up some leftovers!”

This SOS message required only one reply from me: a GIF that said, “I’m in!”

Thank God for leftovers, right?

It’s common knowledge among my friends that my sweet tooth stays ready, so it doesn’t have to get ready! The timing couldn’t have been more perfect as I had just left the grocery store with four tubs of ice cream to weather the storm of hosting people in my home over several days. It was like God knew I needed a cake topped with an explosion of unicorn sprinkles to complete my pending sugar coma.  My friend had been making a three-layer cake for her daughter, but the recipe made four layers. Still frantic that she wouldn’t have enough, she prepared a little extra of everything. The leftovers made a whole cake that would let me live my best sprinkle-covered life, and I have pictures to prove it!  We stood in her kitchen, laughing about the “miracle” leftover cake, as she gave me ample warning to be careful with the giant, round sprinkles that might crack my teeth. It might seem like a small thing, but it brought us together that day and brought joy to both of our lives. Leftover cake served as a sweet reminder that God is a God of abundance He delights in taking care of us and giving us good gifts.  God took my friend’s fear of not having enough cake and used it to provide leftovers, for which we gave thanks and ensured we did not waste it! This cake even reminded me of how Jesus miraculously fed 5,000 people in John 6, when His disciples also experienced the fear of not having enough.  The Scriptures tell us that Jesus was sitting down on a hill with His disciples when a vast crowd came looking for Him because they had seen His miracles. Testing His disciple Philip, Jesus turned to him and asked, “Where can we buy bread to feed all these people?” (John 6:5, NLT).

Having no viable solution to this gigantic problem, another disciple, Andrew, pointed out that a young boy nearby had five barley loaves and two fish (John 6:8-9). Jesus, already knowing what He was going to do, told everyone to sit down on the grassy slopes.  “Then Jesus took the loaves, gave thanks to God, and distributed them to the people. Afterward he did the same with the fish. And they all ate as much as they wanted. After everyone was full, Jesus told his disciples, ‘Now gather the leftovers, so that nothing is wasted.’ So they picked up the pieces and filled twelve baskets with scraps left by the people who had eaten from the five barley loaves” (John 6:11-13, NLT).

Today, in the United States, many families gather to give thanks for all the ways God has blessed and provided for them. Maybe you can recount episodes in your life when you feared you didn’t have enough for your 5,000-people-sized problem (or your three-layer cake), but somehow God provided so well that you had leftovers.  Or maybe you are one of the people whose favorite part of the holiday weekend is Thanksgiving leftovers! We say “hallelujah” to no more striving in the kitchen or waiting hours to eat! For days after the big meal, if you're blessed with some leftovers, let them remind you we serve a more-than-enough God who invites you to trust Him with all your worries.

Dear reader, can I challenge you to have the eyes of Andrew to look around you for the loaves and fishes in your life? What you have may seem scarce, but we serve a God who excels in the leftover business!

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2024, 01:21:41 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/11/30/how-can-i-be-grateful-when-i-dont-feel-grateful?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--sFGOLga_OYcHwMQ0dxEkZperWrCSjJ0-QhHZDFR1qiByxT-MMsyvhZJ5gYrgHDc0y7QPOkAvo9DN3taGfDRh9lj25Wg&_hsmi=280716582&utm_content=280716582&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

How Can I Be Grateful When I Don’t Feel Grateful?
November 30, 2023
by Lysa TerKeurst

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

Sometimes being grateful means choosing to see what is instead of being blinded by what isn’t.  It’s a tough choice in some moments. Brutal, actually. But it’s worth fighting through.  The last couple of years have been no walk in the park for me. I still have days where what’s missing in my life feels like a huge, gaping hole. Everywhere I look, it feels like the hole is in the center of my vision.  But then I’m faced with a choice. I can stare deep into the hole, or I can direct my gaze away from that hole and refocus on something else, like rolling out cookie dough with my granddaughters. I can pause to admire their precious faces and this priceless moment right in front of me. When I do this, I’m once again reminded that there is so much more to this one incredible life than the sum total of our heartbreak.  And the same is true for you, friend.  No matter what we’ve been going through lately, we can thank God for the gift of this day. Because here’s what I’m learning: God gives us today grace.  Look at the words of Matthew 6:34 with me: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

In my Bible, the heading above Matthew 6:25-34 also says, “Do Not Worry.”

It’s no coincidence to me that this verse, the last verse of this entire section, warns us against looking to tomorrow. It’s almost like the writer is communicating, This is the last thing I want you to remember. Take hold of these words.  As I’ve personally reflected on these verses, I’ve realized that where I sometimes get in trouble with this whole idea of gratitude is when I try to carry today’s stress with tomorrow’s worry and the fear of six months from now all with today’s grace. That’s when it all feels like too much to bear.  It’s not that we don’t want to plan for the future and be discerning about how to handle what’s next responsibly. That’s wise and good. It’s just that we don’t want to become so stressed, fearful and full of anxiety about tomorrow that we miss the grace and goodness of this beautiful day.  You might say, “Lysa, how do I know God will give me grace for tomorrow?” I’m so glad you asked.

Look at 1 Peter 5:10-11: “And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen” (NIV).

See, friend?

He is “the God of all grace.” Not some of it. All of it. So knowing this, we can receive both the grace and the gifts of today without missing one minute of its unexpected treasure. We can celebrate every bit of joy that is waiting to be found. We can choose to believe that gratitude isn’t something we have access to only when our lives are perfect. No, choosing gratitude right in the middle of what’s hard isn’t denial. It is choosing to do only what can be done today.  And since today is what we’ve been given, we can enjoy the mess. Receive the blessing. Dance it out at least one time. Fill in the gaps with prayer. And make it a goal to go to bed with smiles on our faces.  And then tomorrow, we can choose it all over again.  Dear Lord, You made me. You know me. I need Your help

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2024, 12:12:44 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/08/your-shattered-pieces-are-being-made-new?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9O2kYzUuwHMeEn_5TSk1QUQQP5AOx1ztGVEu0u8QySxCIe7zf7uXgQwHttUSVRaxQNruLmY_CeRCduUhWa4MSlxDKKNg&_hsmi=281664078&utm_content=281664078&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Your Shattered Pieces Are Being Made New
December 8, 2023
by Beth Knight

“And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.’” Revelation 21:5 (ESV)

Only my eyes dared move as I examined the shattered glass and glitter scattered around my feet.  I lifted my gaze from the ground to the sheer red ribbon clutched between my fingers, which once held my favorite Christmas ornament. My brain couldn’t comprehend how the delicate glass orb suddenly fell toward its explosive demise.  A pitter-patter of little feet whisked around the corner to offer assistance. Although I welcomed my trio of helpful boys, I thought, What a shame that no one can put my ornament back together again.  But of course, this isn’t the only loss I’ve encountered in our broken world.  Deep down, we all sense things are not as they should be. Ever since sin, sickness and death entered our world (Genesis 3), even the most beautiful parts of our lives are compromised. We yearn for God's restoration of our broken bodies, for another embrace with our departed loved ones, or for life to return to how it was before a tragedy rocked our world.  As our minds struggle to accept difficult realities, we want someone to step in and “fix it” so we can shortcut the pain.  Jesus came down from heaven to fix our greatest need to save us from sin and make us a new creation in Him. Now, God uses the suffering that Satan hopes will shatter us, and He redeems it for our good and for His glory. Every day, believers experience inward renewal, but I long for complete restoration. Don't you?

In Revelation 21:1-4, the Apostle John heard God’s promises for what our hearts crave:  Creation will no longer groan; there will be a new heaven and earth.  Believers will be presented to Christ as His perfect bride; our battle with sin will cease.  God will dwell with His people face to face no more seeing through a veil.  Every tear will be wiped away; there will be no more death, sorrow, crying or pain. The suffering in our bodies will be over.  Then comes the exclamation point to these promises:  “And he who was seated on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ Also he said, ‘Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true” (Revelation 21:5).

In Greek, the word translated as “behold” also means “be sure to see.” Our loving Savior reaches down to lift our weary heads and says, “Don’t miss this because these promises will change everything for you!”

Oh, friend, despite the brokenness we see now, Jesus is making everything new. And not just brand-new but unimaginably greater! The renewal we long for will happen. Evil will no longer torment. Our faith will be made sight.  These promises are hard to grasp when we’re surrounded by a shattered mess. But the One who once humbly rode on a donkey toward His death for you and me is now sitting on the throne, reigning in victory. We can trust His words: “It is done!” (Revelation 21:6a).

Fellow suffering saint, let’s hold on and take heart because Christ is coming soon (Revelation 22:7)!

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2024, 02:51:20 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/14/why-did-god-lead-me-here?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_qzN_xkhXjgn-Sv0vRbHy_9BL727YoHNcgtgRBdn17SRNGf3SxJdJz6-54o7v4XYM1yT7hUp4rmNfg1DVFiNoj0-Ip5A&_hsmi=282611608&utm_content=282611608&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Why Did God Lead Me Here?
December 14, 2023
by Lysa TerKeurst

“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” Psalm 23:1 (ESV)

If I were writing my own life story, I would have written it differently.  I never would have had the courage to write my story with the twists and turns it has taken. I have walked through seasons of devastation beyond what I thought I could survive. But I have also been incredibly blessed and humbled as God has proven Himself faithful beyond my ability to comprehend.  Maybe you’re in the devastatingly dark middle of a season you didn’t choose. One that leaves you tempted to pull away from the Lord, wondering, How could a good God lead me to such a difficult place?

Oh, friend. I understand.  So did David, the shepherd who was destined to be king, who penned the words of many biblical psalms. David’s desperately honest cry in Psalm 22:1 reveals he was well acquainted with discouragement and despair: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?” (ESV).

But despite the agony and distress we find in Psalm 22, Psalm 23 reveals David still knew where his hope was found. This shepherd boy needed a greater Shepherd the Lord. We do too.  So how do we keep choosing to follow our Shepherd when He leads us into valleys we’d rather avoid? We can begin by remembering these two truths about the Lord:

1) He will never lead us carelessly.

Psalm 23:1-3a paints such a serene picture: “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul” (ESV).

We might imagine lush green hills like you’d find in Ireland, but David’s reality was the steep, rocky, dry Judean hills. Hills that had to be carefully traveled in order to get to the water and vegetation waiting in the valleys below.  Shepherds leading their flocks also had to be cautious about the timing of their trips. Hard rains could quickly lead to flash floods in a gorge. When a shepherd knew a storm was coming, he wouldn't allow the sheep to be down in the gorge because they’d drown; instead, he'd wait patiently until the storm passed to lead his flock down to drink. So not only did sheep have to trust where the shepherd was leading them; they had to trust the when of his leading.  Our Shepherd wants to get us to the still waters. He wants us to lie down and rest where it's safe. But we have to trust that His timing is perfect and His provision is good.

2) He will always lead us intentionally.

Psalm 23:3b says, “He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake” (ESV).The very reputation of the Lord is at stake in His leading. That means we can trust He will always lead us in perfect ways for our goodness and for the sake of His name.  The Hebrew word for “paths” in Psalm 23:3 referred to well worn or deep ruts that were actually good ruts, important because they marked the safest paths. While these paths could be formed by one shepherd over time, it's more likely they were formed by other shepherds who’d gone before generations of shepherds wisely walking the same paths. Even today, you can literally look at the hills in Israel and see paths the shepherds have been walking for generations.

I wonder: What deep ruts or paths have you created in your life of regularly walking with God?

What deep, positive places have others forged that you can follow?

I encourage you to remind yourself of those paths, those regular rhythms of relationship with God.  If you’re in a low valley right now, I know what that looks and feels like. But let me speak life into your worn-out, broken-down, hurting heart. I’ve lived the horrors where I couldn't see any way out. But there’s always a way with God.   Stay close to Him. Stay close to people who love Him. And He will make a miraculous way. One that you couldn’t have imagined but one that is perfectly timed and planned.

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2024, 02:55:11 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/15/when-christmas-feels-broken?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--bTWvZQmvEEELkGbtOy9aiZY-VfvaN7ZLPKyz0PNG1Kd6hW6SIbLiRGfIMgWbQ9zX_ENIP2BALIMfcSb6nHyWffMElcA&_hsmi=282613668&utm_content=282613668&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When Christmas Feels Broken
December 15, 2023
by Tracie Miles

"I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me." Psalm 16:8 (NLT)

I sat on the couch on Christmas Eve, trying to hold back my tears as my three children stood in front of me, presents in their arms and ready to walk out the door, yet with concerned and worried expressions on their faces.  They were headed to their grandmother’s house for Christmas dinner, just as we had done for years but this year was different. My husband and I had separated a few months earlier, so for the first time, they were going to the family holiday gathering without me.  I knew this was hard on them, too, so I assured them I would be fine and encouraged them to have a nice visit, but inside, my heart was aching. Not only did my family feel broken but Christmas felt broken, and I felt broken as well.  After they left, a deep sense of loneliness hung heavy in the air, drowning out the fresh pine scent of the tree. The tears I had been holding back dripped down my cheeks.  After a few minutes, though, I breathed a heavy sigh, wiped my tears and sat up straight. I reminded myself of God's promises in Scripture to be with me always. Even though my husband had left, my heavenly Father never would. I knew I needed to refocus on the fact that even though my life had changed, God was still the same.  In Psalm 16, we read about a time when David, too, felt especially left behind, forgotten and afraid. When he wrote this passage, he was likely hiding in the woods, knowing that his enemy, Saul, and his army were in hot pursuit to find David and kill him. Yet instead of letting his emotions shake him up, David shifted his attitude and intentionally chose to refocus on God’s presence.  We see evidence of this in Psalm 16:8, where David said, “I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.”

We can make the same choice as David when we are enduring hard times. When a spouse says they’re leaving. A boss says we’re no longer needed. A loved one or family member leaves this world too soon. A friend betrays us. Trying to pick up the pieces of our broken hearts, we're left wondering if we’ll ever feel whole and unbroken again.  Especially in the joy and celebration of the Christmas season, faith-shaking circumstances can shake us up much like David. But even if this season doesn’t feel the same, we can remind ourselves that God will never leave us or forsake us. Keeping our focus on His presence helps us feel less shattered and alone, equips us to handle the emotions of the holidays, and prepares us to be spiritually ready for anything the future holds.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2024, 06:01:07 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/18/gods-timing-is-perfect?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8pFcrioZEXwLEdfTPaF8tjyQ6VMNvVzyCa97rUsQR6eXnUOfNFDf-eNa8zM8Wjqt5RTXSCZqp6ZEJtsZ4VAQbwg-cHmQ&_hsmi=284096297&utm_content=284096297&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

God’s Timing Is Perfect
December 18, 2023
By Anitha Abraham

“Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” Luke 1:45 (NIV)

Year after year, my dream opportunity kept passing me by. I did everything I knew to do. I worked hard and prayed. I trusted God, but I was beginning to grow weary.  In Luke 1, we read about a godly couple named Zechariah and Elizabeth. They knew what it was like to be dreaming and praying for something too.  Luke 1:6-7 tells us, “They were both righteous before God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord. But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren, and both were advanced in years” (ESV).

In my mind, that’s not how those verses should end, especially not for a couple who seemed to do everything right.  But for a long time, that was their story. Then Zechariah got a little visit from an angel with some big news: “Your prayer has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John” (Luke 1:13b, ESV).

We’re all happy for Zechariah and Elizabeth, but I wonder if they were thinking, Why now?

t would have been nice if this had happened a little sooner. At this point in their lives, they probably pictured themselves pushing a walker, not a stroller.  Elizabeth didn’t ask questions. She simply said, “The Lord has done this for me.  In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people” (Luke 1:25, NIV).

If she were anything like me, Elizabeth may have traced back her steps to figure out why God chose to do this now. Had she been a little nicer to Zechariah that week? Was it because she spent less time chatting with the other ladies at the local coffee shop and more time at the temple?

But the birth of John the Baptist was bigger than Zechariah and Elizabeth. In fact, it was bigger than John the Baptist himself.  “But when the right time came, God sent his Son ...” (Galatians 4:4, NLT).

The timing of Jesus’ arrival was a factor in God’s plan. That means so was the birth of John. After all, Isaiah 40:3 had prophesied that John would prepare the way of the Messiah.  Maybe you are a Christ follower who is doing everything right that you know to do, but like Elizabeth before she had her son, you feel like there is a “but” in your story.  Faithful but diagnosed. Unemployed. Bankrupt. Waiting for a spouse. Waiting for a child. Carrying unfulfilled dreams.  Elizabeth’s story reminds us that God’s will for us may not be fulfilled how or when we expect, but we should remain submitted to God and His plan.  That was my story. That dream opportunity I had been waiting for finally became a reality. However, as life goes on, I may have different dreams that require waiting again. It won’t be easy, but I know I can trust God every time. Even if He doesn't always give us what we hope for on earth, He has given us eternal hope in Jesus.  “Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!” (Luke 1:45, NIV).

We pray. We wait. We hope. We believe. And in His perfect time, we see His faithful plan unfold.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2024, 05:03:09 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/19/if-rest-feels-unrealistic-for-your-life-right-now?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8-RfzYL-NYhx4xWapdCItoeIkmTA9bhlNJ_KNsj64LdTH9vWcTSnxbb6zx_UjhglR1VIPeeFVIzX4iR8fuGMJRiYyOXg&_hsmi=284096021&utm_content=284096021&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

If Rest Feels Unrealistic for Your Life Right Now
December 19, 2023
by Dr. Joel Muddamalle

“On the seventh day God had completed his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, for on it he rested from all his work of creation.” Genesis 2:2-3 (CSB)

Is the pace of your life exhausting you?

I get it. Between both me and my wife working full time, raising four children, managing two dogs, and juggling responsibilities in the home, rest has felt like a destination we’ll reach one day (when we’re retired if we’re lucky).  But recently, I’ve been deeply convicted of the lack of rest in my life. This goes beyond the amount of sleep I’m getting every night. The tyranny of the urgent weighs on me. My to-do lists overflow. There is always something left to be done. I can’t help but feel like I’m falling short and playing catch-up constantly.  The tragedy is that living a life without rest is not biblical, and it’s not the life God modeled for us either. Look at Genesis 2:2-3 with me:  “On the seventh day God had completed his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, for on it he rested from all his work of creation.”

I’ve always read this verse and thought God ceased to do anything on the seventh day. But it’s actually not that simple. Yes, God worked for six days and rested on the seventh day, but He didn’t cease to create on the seventh day. He just created in a totally different way. On the seventh day, He created peace, tranquility and rest.

We are invited to create this same peace in our lives by incorporating God's rhythm of rest, which the Bible refers to as “Sabbath,” into our weekly routines.  My family recently started doing an intentional Sabbath one day a week. On this day, we rest. But like God modeled for us in Genesis, we don’t stop all activity. We just work in a different way. We learn how to live in the serenity of an unhurried existence, being still long enough to feel God’s presence, hear God’s instruction and see God’s blessing.  God designed Sabbath to be something that fuels and energizes us not something that we work ourselves to the bone to achieve and experience.  If Sabbath has felt unrealistic or overwhelming to you, I get it. If you’re there today, I want to share three simple things my family and I work into this weekly rhythm:

1.  We set intentions on the morning of Sabbath by asking ourselves, What is one way we want to recharge today? Sometimes that looks like reading a book, taking a nap or going on a walk.

2.  We reduce technology and pick a family board game to play.

3.  My wife and I cook dinner together, and we all eat together at the table.

Don’t let the misconceptions of what Sabbath “has to look like” get in the way of trying it at all. There have been some bumps in the road, and my family and I definitely aren’t doing it perfectly but we are doing it. And we’re experiencing the fruit of a life that is well rested as we follow the instruction of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30:  “Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am lowly and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (CSB).

Lil angel

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2024, 03:06:15 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/22/honoring-god-with-our-bodies-at-the-holidays?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8DIHzRIiEUUNYm8RSg7Zc1X_AHiDnnDA3W9fN_fSAjTBRi0mVsIJTiyXYwU-yciEU6FOJXXT5RXPhWFghf7E1A9GHTKA&_hsmi=284614664&utm_content=284614664&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Honoring God With Our Bodies at the Holidays
December 22, 2023
by Grace Valentine

“‘I am the Lord’s servant,’ Mary answered. ‘May your word to me be fulfilled.’ Then the angel left her.” Luke 1:38 (NIV)

Last year around this time, I remember sitting at the Christmas dinner table with bread rolls, pumpkin pie that had me drooling, and of course, my favorite: mac and cheese. Here I was surrounded by my favorite carbs.  More importantly, I was surrounded by my family and plenty of opportunities for shared memories, good conversations and glimpses of God’s grace. However, last Christmas, I wasn’t thinking about the opportunity in front of me to connect with loved ones. All I could think about was my body.  Should I skip the rolls?

If I eat that pie, will I bloat?

Am I going to exercise hard enough tomorrow to burn off what I ate?

Ugh, I don’t want to take those family photos especially when my body looks like this.  I don’t think I’m the only one who struggles with food anxiety and body insecurities during the holidays. We all have something that distracts us from the things that matter most at Christmastime. Society puts a lot of pressure on women to have and maintain the “perfect” body but in reality, there is no such thing. And while making healthy choices is good, giving food the power to make us anxious and distracted during the holidays causes us to forget our true purpose.  Surprisingly, there’s someone in the Christmas story who inspires me to remember my true purpose and even to look at my body differently and that person is Mary, Jesus’ mother. When she was told she would give birth to Jesus as a virgin, her response was, “I am the Lord’s servant.  May your word to me be fulfilled” (Luke 1:38).

She wasn’t stressed about her body. She knew her body was a vessel for God to use for holy things.  I don’t know about you, but I want to strive to be like Mary, an eager servant of the Lord and His plans. Unlike Mary’s, our bodies are not carrying the Savior of the world, but they are meant to be offerings we use to serve God, not something we stress about (1 Corinthians 6:20; Romans 12:1). Let’s celebrate our bodies because they are vessels for us to live out God’s love.  Many of us have arms that can hug our friends and family members and comfort those who’ve had a tough year.  Many of us have eyes that can see those who feel overlooked and mouths that can affirm them in God’s care.  Many of us have legs that have carried us this far and still have many more miles to go as we walk with God.  And even if parts of our bodies feel limited or unable to do what we want them to do, those limitations can lead us to rely on Christ and connect us with others who need Him too.  I pray you and I can be like Mary this Christmas. May we be willing to be purposeful with our bodies and embrace loving others, loving the bodies God has given us, and loving those around our tables, all for His glory.

Lil angel

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2024, 03:10:35 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/25/immanuel-god-with-us?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--iUYpw8Yu2DE9pfPUSIgojc3Mbp-UrZMAViTz1kAAVgwjI3INnCgpi-qRX2RAzuQGCw5gtonu3AIS9cjbbejmC4_8LNA&_hsmi=284692160&utm_content=284692160&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Immanuel, God With Us
December 25, 2023
by Alice Matagora

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

“Mom, I’m falling!”

I was on a hike with my toddler and preschooler. As we made our way down the hill, my son’s arms flailed wildly as his feet slid down the leafy dirt path. I reached for his hand, and with my help, immediately he found his footing. Hand in hand, we continued on our journey until we made our way safely home.  Throughout different seasons of my life, I’ve also found myself crying out to God, Help I’m falling!  Nothing major or traumatic needs to have happened. It could be that I simply feel emotionally unsteady, physically exhausted or overwhelmed by life, like I am wandering and I’m not sure if I have the strength to keep going.  Then I feel God’s steadying hand reach for mine to strengthen me and help me, and I remember what His Word assures in Isaiah 41:10: “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

Today especially, we praise God that He has kept this promise to strengthen, comfort and never let go of His people.  How do we know?

He sent Jesus to be Immanuel, God with us (Matthew 1:23).  One thing I love about Jesus is that He reveals to us the very heart of God because He is God. Matthew 9:36 says, “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd” (NIV).

The Son of God, who knows all things, could see every last thought in the mind of every human. But in this moment, He didn’t respond with judgment or condemnation of the crowd’s lusts or jealousies or anger or sin; He had compassion on their inner torment. He saw their harassment and helplessness and knew they could do nothing to save themselves from it.  Because of Jesus’ compassion toward us, He came to earth as a baby to live a sinless life; to die on the cross, bearing our sin, shame and powerlessness; and to be raised to life again so that whoever believes in and receives Him will never again have to live life harassed and helpless on their own. We not only have God’s steadying hand that will hold us we now have God’s steadying Spirit who will live within us, if only we turn our hearts to Him (Ephesians 1:13-14).  As we celebrate this Christmas, may we remember that Jesus is God with us in our mess. He is God with us in our pain. He is God with us in the deepest dark valley. He is God with us in our exhaustion. He is God with us in our waiting and in our wandering.  Jesus is Immanuel. He is with us all the days of our lives and all eternity.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2024, 12:01:11 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/26/a-pondering-perspective?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--YnXoDlFr3XVwluqOKI_UfOK_Uyg9lcY6ujvUYpDmxT6LjQdLeH9rx8a7ERWd_7UGSxesXFbpzNrxj1WTaRAi4VTpQdQ&_hsmi=284725502&utm_content=284725502&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

A Pondering Perspective
December 26, 2023
by Sarah Freymuth

“But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.” Luke 2:19 (ESV)

A festive tree. Twinkling lights. Hot cocoa. Everything screams “cozy” in the Christmas season.  However, behind the scenes, we’ve scrambled to find gifts on lists, top off our decorations from last year, and strain our brains as we assess the events piled up on the calendar. The weeks leading up to Christmas nearly bowl us over with stress, strain and uncertainty. Woven within the wonder of caroling and cookie decorating, the pace of it all threatens to knot us up and choke the life out of what this season truly offers. There’s hardly any time to sit still and be.  Or maybe this holiday season has brought up emotions of loss, loneliness and forgottenness. You've tried to escape them, but in the face of festivities, there seems to be nothing but time to process what you've experienced.  Either way, after the chaos of Christmas Day has passed, our weary hearts may need a rest and a perspective shift.  So travel back in time with me to the first Christmas. After miles on the back of a donkey, traveling to a city with no accommodations. After a manger and a baby. After a brightly shining star and holy songs sung by angels.  Now, it is calm. A man, a woman and a child. Above their heads, the sky winks with a night wrapped in soft, quiet wonder. Lying beside her sleeping boy, Mary takes in His every feature. With a few moments of peace to reflect, she remembers the journey.  She recalls the angel Gabriel appearing to her with a nation’s long-awaited news of a Messiah how surprised and terrified she had been (Luke 1:26-33)! The Savior would be knitted together in her womb. This alone would have been enough to overwhelm, but she likely also endured the looks and whispers of Nazareth’s busybodies, who knew she was betrothed (not married) yet bearing a belly. Unheard of. Unspeakable. The angel of the Lord told her not to be afraid, for the almighty God showed favor to her in her unwavering and innocent faith. God knew she would be the one to carry His Son, to raise the man who would raise the dead.  So she took hold of her faith, following her fiancé, Joseph, to a tiny town, and welcomed the world’s Light in the darkness of night.  Here Mary rested, pondering all that had transpired. For this moment, this tired, breathless moment of reverence, she thought of nothing but the sound of her son, our Savior, breathing beside her. She treasured the stillness, a holy night frozen in time. This little boy was everyone’s hope, and tonight, He was her own miracle.  “But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart” (Luke 2:19).

How do we find a silent night in our stress-filled days to ponder the birth of our Lord and look forward to His coming again?

We still our hearts and clear a space within us to ponder the wonders of the Lord.  “For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation” (Psalm 62:1, ESV).

Our souls need slowness to savor what this season means, what God’s love means through Immanuel, God with us (Matthew 1:23).  This week, as the dust of Christmas settles, let's settle down. Maybe sit in a cozy chair in the corner of your living room. Turn the tree lights on and the clutter off. Silence yourself before your heavenly Father, pull out your Bible, and read the tale of wonder set in the town of Bethlehem. Let’s ponder in our hearts and treasure the Savior who transforms our lives.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2024, 12:07:51 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/12/27/a-promised-peace-thats-out-of-this-world?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--TUxx4shs5vj-E8f3W783Ne-wFPrhmkz_sCGjBhdQJTcNpY2O8R2lk7zs2ln2is23ZFrPbKVWHsElCEEgdDIIrG9webA&_hsmi=284753026&utm_content=284753026&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

A Promised Peace That’s out of This World
December 27, 2023
by Karen Ehman

“Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Don’t let your heart be troubled or fearful.” John 14:27 (CSB)

It was one of those days of emotional overload. My nerves were stressed. My mind was restless. My heart was feeling battered and bruised.  I plopped myself on the couch and grabbed the remote. Maybe numbing my brain by watching television would help me to relax and forget my troubles at least for an hour or so.  Two commercials popped up. One promised peace with a trip to a new local nail salon, and another suggested that serenity could be achieved by grabbing tickets to a tropical escape. Both images were tranquil and inviting. How incredible it would be to experience that magnificent paradise! I knew I couldn’t afford a vacation. Perhaps a pampering pedicure might do the trick?

But I know from experience that while a trip to the salon or a getaway vacation might give us a breather, they are not what our hearts and minds most need. We need something more. And thankfully that something is free for the taking the peace that Christ offers.  Jesus promises us peace of mind and stillness of heart so we can be free from worry and fright. He declared in John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Don’t let your heart be troubled or fearful.”

The word “world” might first make us think of the earth and the people residing there. However, the Greek word translated here as “world” has a nuanced meaning. It refers to the affairs and adornments the world provides for us humans. The trinkets and treasures that sparkle and shine, many promising peace.  The world offers us activities that can distract us for a while. It attempts to dress us up and adorn us to give us a better existence. Certainly, in some cases, this helps. There are businesses in the world that help clothe our bodies fashionably or enhance our homes with stunning decor. But our hearts and minds are a different story. Outward embellishments and pampering activities don’t produce lasting harmony in our hearts Jesus does.  The peace Jesus promises literally means having hearts and minds that are undisturbed, whole and no longer disquieted. We can rest assured and not be afraid, knowing God is in control. This is an out-of-this-world peace that Scripture describes as surpassing all human understanding (Philippians 4:7). And we are assured our minds will be kept in this perfect peace when we steadfastly trust in God (Isaiah 26:3).  Is your heart unsettled or your mind uneasy?

Take your troubles to Jesus. He sees. He hears. He listens. He alone can provide serenity for your soul.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2024, 04:57:14 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/01/02/finding-peace-when-life-is-out-of-control?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9jYs5m7ic3YZ8hfmAJKAhwVSq4JivJk3dAnDXMdYqCMVGsuPj7g9o1CW7CHey90WL2iqw2dy37ZEfn71-4MyXlZZGv8A&_hsmi=285709404&utm_content=285709404&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Finding Peace When Life Is out of Control
January 2, 2024
by Lauren and Michael McAfee

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 (NIV)

When things don’t go our way, our reflex is to grasp for control, organize and systematize, plot and plan, and make bold declarations of what we’ll do if things don’t get turned around fast.  My husband and I experienced this when our adoption journey took years longer than we’d expected and again when our daughter was diagnosed with cancer seven weeks after we brought her home. We tried to strategize, scheme and barter with God yet again when a judge told us to hand over our foster son to his biological family a year after we had brought him into our home.  When we realize deep in our souls that we are not in control, but God is, we know peace and hope beyond our circumstances. We begin to understand that God can bring good to us despite the most evil and devastating events in our lives. God is orchestrating all things for His eternal glory and our eternal joy.  Just before Jesus faced His crucifixion, He gathered His disciples in the upper room to share a final meal together. Jesus knew they would feel fearful after His crucifixion, so He told them, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27).

Peace. Wholeness. The basic definition of the word “shalom” can mean “made good,” “fully restored,” “set at one again.” It's the sense that whatever was missing has been returned, whatever was lacking has been replaced, whatever was fractured has been brought back together.  Just as Jesus offered peace to His disciples, God longs to usher peace into your life. But this isn’t something He will force on you. This is something you choose.  If peace seems inaccessible, ask God to search you and know your heart, to try you and know your thoughts, like David prayed in Psalm 139:23-24. Invite God to probe the innermost part of you to see what might be askew. Are you believing that God is who He says He is?

That He is doing what He said He would do?

What unbelief could be leading you away from the peace to be found in Him today?

God doesn’t stand back as we struggle or try to convince us pain doesn’t exist it does. But in His very presence, God declares over us that our pain doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Pain does not get to win. And by His power, accompanied by prevailing peace, God will walk us from here to eternity in safety, holding our hand each step of the way.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2024, 05:00:50 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2024/01/03/god-has-heaven-waiting-for-you?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9I6-hNXHzTjgg9cZilHyexdH1sXI7T7Ef_OZMQjUngVGtPURFDU_ZITnPgYQYlDPhtYABfRnZHSGJDcUPq6nNQNL7hZA&_hsmi=285709369&utm_content=285709369&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

God Has Heaven Waiting for You
January 3, 2024
by Karen Wingate

“And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” John 14:3 (NIV)

For two years, I’d held my breath every time I turned the dials of my derelict, mismatched washer and dryer, praying they would work one more time. So when I heard about a used pair of machines, a model I’d long admired, for an incredible price, I pounced on the deal.  But I soon discovered the dryer had a cracked drum. I ordered the part, but it was on back order.  Was I willing to wait?

Yes! I happily spent a month spreading wet clothes around my house, relishing thoughts of finally having that beautiful, matching, reliable laundry set. In my mind, waiting was worth the inconvenience because something much better was coming.  When I think of patience, I often think of this small example from my own life and in Scripture, I marvel at the tenacity of God’s faithful people mentioned in Hebrews 11. After describing several examples of faithful lives, the author makes this statement in Hebrews 11:13: “All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth” (NIV).

Old Testament heroes like Abraham, Moses and David were longing for the coming of Jesus, the Messiah. They were willing to stay obediently faithful to God because they knew something better was coming, even if they didn’t get to see it in their lifetimes.  Jesus makes the same promise to us about His second coming. In John 14:3, Jesus says, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”

Won’t that be wonderful? If we trust in Jesus today, we’ll be with Him forever. All the tough stuff of this earthly life will be gone. No more pain, tears or evil like we’ve endured in this earthly life. The joys of heaven will be far more satisfying than a refurbished dryer! God’s dependability to keep His promises has a far better rating than the supply chain of a dryer drum.  No matter what current challenges you face, no matter how hard the struggle, look ahead. Our faith in Jesus grows stronger day by day as we continue to follow Him despite the struggles we face. Just like those men and women mentioned in Hebrews 11, you and I can brave the inconveniences, heartaches, obstacles and struggles because we have the assurance that whatever is happening in this life won’t last forever. Something better is coming.  Sometimes it's hard to envision eternity but I can wait. And so can you. Because it’s going to be fantastic.