Author Topic: Coronation Street's Victoria Ekanoye to have double mastectomy after cancer ....  (Read 904 times)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/coronation-streets-victoria-ekanoye-double-25404789?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=12at12_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Coronation Street's Victoria Ekanoye to have double mastectomy after cancer diagnosis

Coronation Street star Victoria Ekanoye, who played Angie Appleton in the ITV soap, revealed she has been diagnosed with breast cancer, just months after she and partner Jonny Lomas welcomed their first child

By Emma Wilson Showbiz Reporter

11:25, 8 Nov 2021 Updated20:16, 8 Nov 2021

Coronation Street star Victoria Ekanoye is to have a double mastectomy as she bravely revealed she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.  The former soap star, who played Angie Appleton during her 18-month stint on the ITV show, found a lump in her left breast while feeding son Theo, who she and partner Jonny Lomas welcomed in January.  Victoria, 39, said she was inspired by the late Girls Aloud singer Sarah Harding, who passed away in September, to get a third opinion after she was convinced something wasn’t right.  During an interview with OK! the actress revealed she was given the all-clear by two doctors, but sought further advice and was subsequently given a tough diagnosis, and she’s preparing to undergo a preventative double mastectomy.  Victoria, who has a family history of breast cancer, said she noticed a lump “protruding” from her breast while feeding Theo, and she was told by doctors in France it was a “benign lump”, but that “didn’t sit right” with the actress.  A second doctor blamed the lump on blocked milk ducts, but Victoria was unconvinced, and she said it was Sarah’s battle with breast cancer that prompted her to push for a third opinion.  It was really alarming for me, as it was for everyone. And so sad. Really sad,” she said of the singer’s tragic death. “If anything it made me determined to get to the bottom of things with my health.”

She refused to wait six months for another appointment, and went to a clinic in the UK, where she underwent a series of tests, only for doctors to confirm what she had already feared.  “I felt so bad for Jonny as I’d prepared myself and felt that I knew the outcome,” she explained, as the consultant told them Victoria had found cancerous cells and a “4cm mass”.

The actress confessed it’s been an overwhelming year for her and Jonny, especially after her traumatic labour with son Theo, and she said she’s trying to focus on the future as a way to deal with the stress.  “It feels unfair. I feel a bit overwhelmed and I’m scared because, as optimistic as the outlook is, you can’t predict the future. I just want to be here. I’ve got a life to live and a family to love and look after,” she candidly shared.

She refused to wait six months for another appointment, and went to a clinic in the UK, where she underwent a series of tests, only for doctors to confirm what she had already feared.  “I felt so bad for Jonny as I’d prepared myself and felt that I knew the outcome,” she explained, as the consultant told them Victoria had found cancerous cells and a “4cm mass”.

The actress confessed it’s been an overwhelming year for her and Jonny, especially after her traumatic labour with son Theo, and she said she’s trying to focus on the future as a way to deal with the stress.  “It feels unfair. I feel a bit overwhelmed and I’m scared because, as optimistic as the outlook is, you can’t predict the future. I just want to be here. I’ve got a life to live and a family to love and look after,” she candidly shared.

Doctors are hopeful that the double mastectomy will be curative, and Victoria won’t need any other treatment, but she’s worried the surgery will keep her in hospital over Christmas, as she’ll need a full body blood transplant before the op due to having sickle cell anemia.  Victoria said she’ll have reconstructive surgery at the same time, and she’s keen to “get up off the floor” and put the health ordeal behind her.  “I just want to get it done and get up off the floor and start living my life. But it’s scary as I know there are risks with surgery and I’ve got my little boy. I want to make sure I’m here for him,” she sobbed.