Author Topic: Brit dad, 57, killed by shark while swimming as horrified wife watched from....  (Read 4287 times)

heartbroken

• View Profile
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-dad-57-killed-shark-25400089?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_evening_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Brit dad, 57, killed by shark while swimming as horrified wife watched from shore

The couple were together with their adult children at the time of the attack, watching on as Mr Millachip swam at the popular beach as the shark struck

By Tom Ambrose

15:01, 7 Nov 2021 Updated 15:39, 7 Nov 2021

A British dad was killed by a great white shark as he swam in the sea off Western Australia, as his wife and kids tragically watched on from the shore.  Paul Millachip, 57, was attacked by the shark, with witnesses claiming it was around 14ft long, at around 10am local time on Saturday.  A large shark was reported to have been seen in the water before Mr Millachip was killed, according to 9News.  His wife, who asked not to be named, paid tribute to her husband and described him as a "wonderful man" and a "wonderful father" to the couple's two adult children, The Sun reported.  Mrs Millachip added that the attack off Port Beach in Fremantle “came out of the blue”, according to a report by news.com.au.  The family were together at the time of the attack, watching on as Mr Millachip swam at the popular beach as he often liked to do.  Mrs Millachip said a group of teenage boys witnessed the attack and rushed into the sea to warn other swimmers to move away from the danger.  It must have been an absolutely terrifying experience for them, so my heart goes out to them,” Mrs Millachip said.

“I thank them for what they did. Amazing. They could potentially have saved other lives.  Rest in peace Paul,” she added. “He died doing what he enjoyed doing the most, which was exercising.”

Emergency services were called to Port Beach at North Fremantle just after 10am on Saturday after reports of the attack on Mr Millachip.  The couple were originally from the UK and had been together for 35 years, she said. Mr Millachip was "super fit" and regularly took part in triathlons and marathons, she added.  “We had been going down to the beach two or three times a week we would go running first and then go swimming,” she said.

“He was due to swim for 1km on Saturday I just went into the water and out again because it was cold and I’m not a huge fan of the cold water.  He was a wonderful man, a wonderful father, and he loved his exercise.”

Police Inspector Troy Douglas said the search had been thorough and would only resume if there was “reason”.  “Inquiries will continue based on anything washed up or anything found,” he said.