Author Topic: A true Hell Raiser: Steve Priest bassist from outrageous Glam Rock band The ....  (Read 1374 times)

heartbroken

• View Profile
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8389725/The-Sweet-founder-Steve-Priest-dies-aged-72-band-confirm.html

A true Hell Raiser: Steve Priest bassist from outrageous Glam Rock band The Sweet dies aged 72 after a life of sex, drugs, and rock and roll

Priest, who founded the glam rock band in the 1960s, died on Thursday morning
    Guitarist Andy Scott hailed bandmate as 'the best bass player I ever played with'
    Group described as 'womanising, drug-taking, hell-raising, macho alcoholics'

By Connie Rusk For Mailonline and Tom Pyman For Mailonline

Published: 20:52, 4 June 2020 | Updated: 12:20, 5 June 2020

Steve Priest, founder and bass guitarist in a rock band, The Sweet, has died aged 72.  His death on Thursday morning, the cause of which is not yet known, was announced by his bandmates in a statement on their Facebook page.  Guitarist Andy Scott described the late musician as 'the best bass player I ever played with'.

As part of the group which had hits including Hell Raiser, Teenage Rampage and The Ballroom Blitz, Priest enjoyed classic sex, drugs, and rock n' roll lifestyle something he was never shy discussing when talking about his time in the spotlight.  'If it breathed and was female, it was fair game,' he once told the Guardian. 

'The 70s were magical. They were like the 60s, only crazier. God knows how we got away with it.'

At their booziest, some 300 bottles of wine were drunk by the band in just a month, as they recorded an album at Gloucestershire's Clearwell Castle, reports suggest.  After downing up to a dozen bottles of wine at dinner, we would rush to the pub and imbibe some of the local brews,' music journalist Dave Ling reports Priest saying about that time in the band's history.

'The rest of the evening was spent fornicating.'

Indeed, Ling described the group himself as 'womanising, drug-taking, hell-raising, macho alcoholics'.

In another interview, the bassist admitted: 'We were drinking too much and taking too many drugs which seemed to be a good idea at the time'.

The lifestyle was also heavily referenced in Priest's autobiography, titled 'Are You Ready, Steve?'  In teasing the book, he said: 'This is not a Girl Scout manual. There are some very steamy accounts of some close encounters of the sexual kind, so keep this away from young kids.  Obviously, sex is part of the territory in rock and roll, and I thought I should include some of my experiences. It will also convince some readers of my real sexual orientation.'

That was something that caused much speculation, particularly when Priest would sport everything on stage from fake lashes and eyeliner to red hot pants, but the band has always said none of them were gay.  Never far from controversy, Priest caused a particular stir with one of his outfits when he appeared on the 1973 Christmas edition of Top of the Pops wearing a German military uniform and a Hitler moustache.  He told the Guardian in 2010: 'It's amazing how everyone still talks about the Nazi uniform. Good old BBC wardrobe department.  People always want to know if I was serious. I mean, a gay Hitler. Hello?!'   

Scott wrote last night: 'I am in pieces right now. Steve Priest has passed away.  His wife Maureen and I have kept in contact and though his health was failing I never envisaged this moment. Never.  My thoughts are with his family.'

The musician was born in Hayes, Middlesex and began playing bass guitar as a young teenager, after being influenced by artists such as Jet Harris of the Shadows, the Rolling Stones, and The Who.  In January 1968, he was invited to form a four-piece band with vocalist Brian Connolly, drummer Mick Tucker, and guitarist Frank Torpey the band that was to become The Sweet.  Torpey was replaced by Mick Stewart in 1969. Guitarist Scott joined in August 1970, following Stewart's departure and the classic line-up established.  The band had hits with songs including Funny Funny (1971) and Blockbuster, which spent five weeks at number one in 1973.  Hell Raiser, The Ballroom Blitz, and Teenage Rampage all got to number two in the charts in 1973.  Scott said: 'The noise we made as a band was so powerful.  From that moment in the summer of 1970 when we set off on our musical odyssey the world opened up and the roller coaster ride started.' 

They had their last top ten hits in 1978 with Love is Like Oxygen.  The following year their Scottish lead singer Brian Connolly left the band to go solo and Sweet split up in 1981.  Since the 1980s, guitarist Scott, Connolly, and bassist Steve played with different line-ups of Sweet.  Connolly died in 1997 and drummer Mick Tucker in 2002.  A statement from the band announcing the news last night read: 'Dear Friends and Fans, We have very sad news - Please see the below statement from Steve Priest's family.  Love, Richie, Stevie, Mitch & Paulie ...

'It is with a heavy heart that we announce at 8:25 am PT today, Steve Priest, founding member of The Sweet, passed away.  He is survived by his wife, Maureen, three daughters, Lisa, Danielle & Maggie, and 3 grandchildren, Jordan, Jade & Hazel.'

Following the announcement, dozens of The Sweet's fans took to Twitter to pay tribute to the bass guitarist. One wrote: 'Thank you so much for MY life in music. My first 7' single purchase was Blockbuster. Pre-teen me won a fully signed Desolation Boulevard LP in Capital Radio's release week phone-in competition. Last month I purchased an original copy of the Strung Up LPN tour manager. RIP Steve'.

Another fan typed: Rest in peace. An amazing and entertaining bass player'.

A third chimed: 'RIP Steve we will miss you', while a different user added: 'Sending love and condolences to everyone'.