Author Topic: 'Selfless' healthy mum-of-six dies after a short and sudden illness  (Read 2282 times)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/selfless-healthy-mum-six-dies-22079444?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_Mirror_Nletter_DailyNews_News_smallteaser_Image_Story7&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter

'Selfless' healthy mum-of-six dies after a short and sudden illness

Paula Hughes, who volunteered St John's cancer hospice and lived in from Moreton, Wirral, died at Arrowe Park Hospital after she developed an infection in her stomach

By Luke Traynor

19:57, 24 MAY 2020

A fit and healthy mum-of-six died last weekend after a short illness.  Paula Hughes was as happy as she usually was following her 49th birthday in the last week of April.  The hospice volunteer then developed an infection in her stomach which triggered organ failure, the Liverpool Echo reported.  She died last Saturday, holding one of her sons' hands.  Paula, from Moreton, Wirral was also diagnosed with Covid-19 while at Arrowe Park Hospital.  Her heartbroken daughter Steph described her mum as "an amazing person" who was "the centre of all our worlds".

The grandmother-of-six dedicated herself to St John's cancer hospice after her husband lost his life to the disease in 2011.  She leaves behind six children in their twenties and thirties.  Her son Liam was the only child able to be at her bedside when she died due to coronavirus restrictions placed on the hospital.  Steph, 25, said: "Mum was selfless and generous, we all went to her house every day.  Everybody felt like family round mum, she was always happy and smiling and the person everybody went to.  If ever we hear Dancing Queen by Abba, we think of mum as she would be up, dancing away to it.  She dedicated her life to the kids and the hospice where she volunteered in the charity shop.  I think we've not accepted her death yet, it's not real, and I can't understand how I can't just go and see her.  We are all just broken.  But we are staying strong for our younger brothers."

Paula's funeral will take place in the middle of June, with just 15 people allowed to attend, and a 20-minute service.  Mum-of-two Steph added: "It doesn't seem fair, mum was such an amazing person, yet we can't give her a proper send-off.  I only moved out of her house two months ago.  On her birthday, at the end of April, she was completely fine, no cough, nothing.  If I had something to say to mum, it would be "thank you" for everything she did for us."

To contribute towards the cost of her funeral click here.