Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Irish woman accused of killing son and daughter in car crash goes on the run to escape charges

BY: Irish Post
September 11, 2021

A MOTHER accused of killing her own son and daughter in a crash on the M1 in Buckinghamshire has gone on the run.  Mary McCann, from Derby, was due to appear before Judge Francis Sheridan at Aylesbury Crown Court yesterday (Friday) to answer two charges of causing death by dangerous driving.  The judge issued a warrant, not backed for bail, for her arrest saying he wanted the Home Office to put ports and airports on alert for her.  “It is most likely she will flee to Ireland,” he said.

He added: “This is a sad case, but by absconding to avoid the indictment being put is in my view tactical.”

The 35-year-old, of Bamford Avenue, Derby, was driving a white Vauxhall Astra that collided with a Scania HGV at about ten past eleven at night on Monday, August 9.  Her son Smaller, 10, and daughter Lilly, 4, were killed in the crash on the northbound carriageway between junctions 14 and 15, near Milton Keynes.  The lorry driver was unhurt, but the motorway was closed for 12 hours.  A family member said earlier that Mary McCann was driving back from a party in London. She and another child passenger were injured.  A 13-year-old daughter had stayed in London.  Prosecutor Heather Stangoe told the judge: “Unfortunately, we do not know where she is."

She added: "We were informed through her solicitor that they had failed to make contact with the defendant.  Her bail address was her sister’s and she is not there.  It was the funeral of her children this week. Her one-year-old child is with the grandmother and is safe.”

Defence barrister Laban Leake said: “The funerals were on Monday and Tuesday. She is no longer at the aunt’s address.  She gave a telephone number (for her), an attempt was made to contact that number, but there was no response.”

Mr Leake added: “We know nothing of her state of mind.”

EastEnders' Max Bowden 'isn't doing great' as he's supported by BBC crew after tragedy

EastEnders star Max Bowden, who plays Ben Mitchell in the soap, has admitted he 'isn't doing great' after losing three friends in the last year as well as his grandfather in October, 2020

By Zara Woodcock Showbiz Reporter

09:31, 2 Dec 2021Updated10:05, 2 Dec 2021

EastEnders star Max Bowden has been supported by the crew at BBC after three of his friends tragically died.

The Ben Mitchell star admitted he 'isn't doing great' after going through a heartbreaking year so the team behind the scenes at the soap have been trying to help in any way they can.  He took to his Instagram Stories to share a picture of a card he received from the costume department.  The message read: "Hey Max, just wanted to say we know you're not great at the moment, but we are always here if you need a rant or a cry.  "Keep doing your best because we think you're great."

He captioned the sweet post: "I work with some amazing people."

The message was signed by the women at the EastEnders ' costume department, including Annie, Inca, Becky and Meg.  The star had gone on to explain how lost he feels and thanked his friend for always being by his side.  His friend Luke Goodings passed away several months before in June.  Alongside a picture of his friend Luke, Max wrote: "Heart’s in bits right now. Lukey, will always love you, my bro. Rest easy now. Freestyle the s*** out of it up there."

In February, his agent friend Terry Mills died after losing his battle to Covid in a hospital in Cancun, Mexico.  Terry fell into a coma while away from the UK and died from pneumonia.  In October 2020, Max revealed the tragic news that his grandfather had died from cancer.
Amazing she won as it's so difficult to sue doctors/NHS.

Daughter, 20, who sued mum's GP for millions for allowing her to be born wins case

Today's ruling now means a healthcare professional can be found liable for negligent pre-conception advice which results in the birth of a child with a serious health condition

By Florence Freeman & Alahna Kindred News Reporter

14:01, 1 Dec 2021 Updated 18:21, 1 Dec 2021

A daughter who sued her mum's GP for millions for allowing her to be born has won her landmark legal case.  Evie Toombes, 20, was born with spina bifida and has won her case against a doctor who advised her mum she would not need to take a supplement that could have prevented the condition.  She also educates children about invisible illnesses and works at Nottingham University.  Evie claimed Dr Philip Mitchell was liable for a "wrong conception charge" after failing to advise her mother, Caroline Toombes, to take vital supplements before getting pregnant.  Doctors routinely advise prospective mums on the benefits of taking folic acid before conceiving and up until the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.  The supplement is known to reduce the risk of spina bifida.  Susan Rodway QC told the court that had Evie’s mother been advised by her GP she would not have proceeded with her pregnancy as hastily as she did.  If she had been put off getting pregnant, she would have had a "normal, healthy" baby but one who was a "genetically different person" to Evie, the QC added.

This was accepted by the court in the landmark ruling in London today.  But Dr Mitchell denies the claims, stating he provided Mrs Toombes with "reasonable advice".  The High Court heard how 50-year-old Mrs Toombes went to visit Dr Mitchell at the Hawthorn Medical Practice in Skegness to explain her plans on having her first baby in February 2001. "This was a very precious decision to start a family, because she herself had lost her parents when she was young," Mrs Rodway told the judge.

"They had been refraining from sexual intercourse until after they had received advice at this consultation."

But despite discussing folic acid during the consultation, Mrs Toombes insisted she was not told by Dr Mitchell of its significance in spina bifida prevention.  "He told me it was not necessary," Evie told the judge. "I was advised that if I had a good diet previously, I would not have to take folic acid."

Michael De Navarro QC, insisted it was Dr Mitchell's defence that he gave "reasonable advice" about the desirability of folic acid supplements being taken.  It was his common practice to tell potential parents that 400 micrograms should be taken by those gearing up for pregnancy and all through their first trimester.  He claims he surely would have advised the mother to have a good diet and good folic acid levels and denies saying supplements were not necessary.  He also suggested that Mrs Toombes might already have been pregnant when she went to see Dr Mitchell.  However, Judge Coe today ruled against the doctor.  "In the circumstances I find that Mrs Toombes was not pregnant at the time of the consultation with Dr Mitchell," she said in her judgment

"She was not advised in accordance with the guidance to take folic acid prior to conception and for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.  She was not advised about the relationship between folic acid supplementation and the prevention of spina bifida/neural tube defects.  Had she been provided with the correct recommended advice, she would have delayed attempts to conceive.  In the circumstances, there would have been a later conception, which would have resulted in a normal healthy child. I therefore find that the claimant's claim succeeds on liability."

The case will later return to court to decide the full amount of Evie's compensation, unless this is agreed upon by the parties outside of court. The decision could pave the way for Evie to now claim damages related to her disability which will ensure she is supported properly for the rest of her life.  During the case, the court heard of how Evie's mobility is very limited and will need a wheelchair more than ever as she grows older, whilst suffering from bowel and bladder.  The ruling could open the doors for other healthcare professionals to be found liable for negligent pre-conception advice which results in the birth of a child with a serious health condition.
Fun, Games And Silliness / Re: Jokes
« Last post by Cocopops on December 27, 2021, 05:16:10 PM »
You've heard of Murphy's famous law: Everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

There are many other related laws. Here are a few:

After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch. - Lorenz's Law of Mechanical Repair

Identical parts aren't. - Beach's Law

Any tool, when dropped, will roll into the least accessible corner. - Anthony's Law of the Workshop

Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come. - Tussman's Law

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. - Lowery's Law

The solution to a problem changes the problem. - Peer's Law

There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance. - William's Law

Handy Guide to Modern Science:
1. If it's green or it wiggles, it's Biology.
2. If it stinks, it's Chemistry.
3. If it doesn't work, it's Physics.

Machines should work. People should think. - IBM's Pollyanna Principle

The most ineffective workers will be systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage - management. - The Dilbert Principle

The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts. - Ehrlich's Law

It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry. - Ralph's Observation

If you tell the boss you were late for work because you had a flat tire, the next morning you will have a flat tire. - Cannon's Comment

Thinly sliced cabbage. - Cole's Law
Fun, Games And Silliness / Re: Jokes
« Last post by Cocopops on December 27, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
Be careful what you pray for.

The first congregation we started was just beginning to come together in Guayaquil, Ecuador. My Spanish was just so-so. Ruth, one lady among these first converts, had an aged mother in the hospital in grave condition. This Ruth asked me to visit her mother and pray for her. I am glad to make hospital visits but it is not my strong suit. There are those that have the gift to greatly encourage the sick. I do not have that giftedness.  So one afternoon, I took Carlos, a man who was also a new convert, with me to visit this lady´s mother. She was in very poor condition. Plus, she had not slept much in two nights. Her level of anxiety was very high. At the end of the visit I prayed for her that God would comfort her to lower her anxiety and that she might get some well need sleep. As we walked back to the car, Carlos questioned me about what I had prayed. He told me that I had textually asked that the aged mother would "Rest In peace."
Less than an hour after leaving the hospital, I get a call from Ruth. Her mother had passed away shortly after our visit. Carlos soon spread the story about what had happened and how I had prayed for this lady. In the 30 years we have been here, no one has complained if the pastor/missionary does not visit the sick. To the contrary, some have said to me that it is fine with them if I don't visit them when they are sick.
It scares me that a 14 year old has done this, when I was that age my friends and I just wanted to enjoy ourselves and work towards having a good life.0

Ava White murder: Boy, 14, in court after schoolgirl, 12, knifed to death in Liverpool

A boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Liverpool Magistrates' Court, sitting as a youth court, charged with the murder of 12-year-old Ava White and possession of a bladed article

By Danya Bazaraa Senior News Reporter

10:53, 29 Nov 2021Updated11:09, 29 Nov 2021

A 14-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with the murder of a 12-year-old schoolgirl in Liverpool.  The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Liverpool Magistrates' Court, sitting as a youth court, charged with the murder of 12-year-old Ava White and possession of a bladed article.  He wore a grey tracksuit and sat in the dock for the five-minute hearing.  District Judge Wendy Lloyd remanded him in secure accommodation to appear at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday.  Detectives investigating the murder of 12-year-old Ava White in Liverpool City Centre on Thursday night, 25 November, charged the teenager on Sunday evening.  Ava had been in the city with friends on Thursday following a Christmas lights switch-on when she suffered "catastrophic injuries" in an assault at 8.39pm, Merseyside Police said. Ava, who has been described as "popular" and "bright", was involved in a "verbal argument" which escalated into an "assault on her with a knife", police said.

A 14-year-old boy was charged with murder and possession of a bladed article and appeared in court today.  Three other boys arrested have been conditionally bailed as extensive enquiries continue, police said.  On Friday, flowers were laid on Church Street in tribute to the Notre Dame Catholic College pupil, as forensics officers and police searched the scene.  A balloon was left by 17-year-old Lacey, who did not want to give her surname, who said her younger sister had been close friends with Ava.  She said: "She was just a bubbly character, so loving and caring.  She came out with her friends to enjoy herself and I think it's just wrong that this has happened."

Headteacher Peter Duffy said: "She was an incredibly popular girl with a fantastic group of friends."

Assistant Chief Constable Ngaire Waine said the incident was "sad for the city" but "even sadder" for Ava's family.  Detective Superintendent Sue Coombs said: “We’re continuing to support Ava’s family, and they have requested that their privacy continues to be respected at this difficult time.  “It’s also vitally important as we continue the investigation that nobody posts comments or names on social media which could potentially impact upon us getting justice for Ava’s family. Please trust us that we are doing all we can to investigate and update people on this tragic incident, and we do not want anything to jeopardise this.  We’d also urge anyone else who has captured the incident or aftermath to send any images/footage directly via the following link:

You can pass information on with reference 21000820789 via ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre' on Facebook, 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their online form at:

'Mean-spirited' son, 37, who stole £10,000 from his dying mother is spared jail after pleading guilty and will now inherit the £500,000 home she left him in her will

    James Windsor caused 'significant' agony for his ill mother in her final months
    She had to give statements to police from death her bed before dying last year
    Judge described the case as 'worst I have come across for some little while'
    Windsor avoided prison after pleading guilty at Sheffield Crown Court
    Judge fumed as it was revealed he will now inherit mother's £500,000 home

By Jamie Phillips For Mailonline

Published: 15:50, 16 December 2021 | Updated: 15:52, 16 December 2021

A 'mean-spirited' son who stole £10,000 from his dying mother has been spared jail after pleading guilty - and will now inherit the £500,000 home she left for him in her will.  James Windsor, 37, defrauded seriously ill Sylvia Frances Turner out of savings that would have been made available for her care when she trusted him with her bank card.  She had to give statements to police from her death bed before she died aged 76 in June last year.  Windsor, though, has avoided prison sentence despite being told by a judge his was 'one of the worst cases I have come across for some little while'.   

He entered a guilty plea on the first day of his trial at Sheffield Crown Court on Thursday and escaped with a seven-month suspended jail sentence.  The judge also fumed when he became aware Windsor now stands to inherit his mother’s £500,000 home in Sheffield within the next 12 months.  Judge Jeremy Richardson told the court: 'What a mean spirited individual you are. This is one of the worst cases I have come across for some little while. A mother effectively being defrauded by her son.  Your mother is now dead. She has left you everything. What did you do? You stole just under £10,000 from her, your mother.  She was very ill at the time and she died as a result of her ill health. She loved you. She trusted you and she gave you her bank card.  You were living with her and I have been told you were idling your life away to use certain language, sponging off your mother.'

The judge added that Windsor had caused 'significant' agony to for his mother in her final months and described his conduct towards her as 'quite astonishing'.  The court heard that there was 'no doubt' he would have been handed an immediate nine-month custodial sentence if he had been convicted after trial.  Judge Richardson added: 'The funds you stole could and would have been made available for your mother’s care but instead you went off buying and frittering the money away.  By rights you should be going straight to prison now. This deserves prison and I have no doubt that prison would be very unpleasant for somebody like you.'

Windsor, of Sheffield, was also fined £15,000 and ordered to pay £1,350 by December 31, 2022.  The judge was satisfied he has the means to pay the fine after inheriting the £500,000.  He added: 'I don’t see why you should profit from your economic depravity.'

Unsolved hijack mystery that stumped FBI for 50 years with petrifying final note

The mystery of Dan, or D.B. Cooper, has stunned authorities for decades and remains unsolved today - and the baffling story is almost too bizarre to be believed

By Jessica Taylor Real Life Features Writer

12:48, 19 Nov 2021

When a man going by the name Dan Cooper boarded a flight from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington in 1971, no one on the plane batted an eyelid.  Cooper, who was suited up and carrying a black briefcase, paid cash for a one-way ticket on the Northwest Orient Airlines flight on 24 November and took his seat.  But he would soon become the focus of an FBI investigation that would baffle officers for nearly half a century, and is still unsolved today.  Cooper, who appeared to be in his mid-40s, boarded the flight that day with a plan to extort hundreds of thousands of dollars, which he claims was to settle "a grudge" but to this day, very little about his true motive is known.  After flight #305 took off, Cooper bought a bourbon and soda from the air hostess again, paying cash.

Ransom note

At about 3pm, he calmly called the air hostess, 23-year-old Florence Schaffner, over and handed her a note. Thinking it was just a passenger giving her his number, she took it but didn't think anything of it.  Then Cooper said something that sent a chill up her spine.  "Miss, you'd better look at that note. I have a bomb," he told her.

Schaffner later recalled reading the note, which had been written neatly in block capitals and directed her to sit down in the seat beside Cooper.  Stunned and terrified, the air hostess did as she was told and sat down next to Cooper, who maintained his calm demeanour as he opened the briefcase he was carrying.  According to Schaffner, the case contained what looked like an explosive device, filled with cannisters and wires.  After a short time sat with the mysterious passenger, Schaffner was directed to take a new note up to the cockpit for the captain.  This note laid out Cooper's demands - $200,000 in cash and four parachutes. He also wanted a fuel truck to be stationed near the plane when it landed in Seattle so it could refuel and he could get back in the air.  Captain William A. Scott called air traffic control at Seattle-Tacoma Airport and informed them what was happening.  The president of Northwest Orient Airlines gave permission to grant the hijacker's demands, leaving the plane to circle for two hours while the money was gathered on the ground.  Meanwhile, the 35 passengers onboard the flight were told their arrival would be delayed due to a "minor technical difficulty" with the aircraft.

Polite demeanour

Strikingly, cabin crew members on the flight at the time noted Cooper's calm and polite manner while making the threats.  Air hostess Tina Mucklow reportedly told investigators: "He seemed rather nice. He was never cruel or nasty. He was thoughtful and calm all the time."

Schaffner recalled that, when she realised the enormity of what was happening, Cooper actually reassured her.  While they circled above Seattle, Cooper ordered a second bourbon and soda, attempted to give Schaffner the change, and even offered to request meals for the flight crew when they landed in Seattle.  During a tense few hours, Mucklow asked Cooper if he had a grudge against Northwest Orient Airlines. But he reportedly replied: "I don't have a grudge against your airline, Miss. I just have a grudge."

On the ground, the FBI was busy gathering the ransom money from local banks, as well as military-grade parachutes. When offered this equipment, Cooper declined and insisted on civilian-style parachutes instead.  The flight landed at 5.39pm, when Cooper allowed passengers off the plane in exchange for the cash and parachutes. But he had one final demand he wanted to keep a few crew members onboard so he could fly to New Mexico with another refuel stop in Reno, Nevada.  At 7.40pm, after the aircraft had been refuelled, it took off again, heading for Reno. Only five people were onboard this time, including Cooper, Captain Scott and Tina Mucklow.  After takeoff, Cooper asked Mucklow to show him how to open the door to the back staircase. She complied, and he then directed her to go into the cockpit, where the rest of the crew were seeking solace, and close the door.

Unsolved mystery

Then, Cooper pulled off the impossible.  At 8pm a warning light signalled in the cockpit, indicating that the stairs at the back entrance of the plane had been activated. On the intercom, the pilots asked if Cooper needed help.  He picked up the phone and replied: "No."

The response was the last time Cooper was ever heard from. Shortly afterwards, the crew noticed a change in air pressure which suggested the back door was open.  The pilots directed the plane to land safely at Reno airport and it soon became clear Cooper was no longer onboard. He'd jumped out of the plane with the parachute and the ransom money, and there was no trace of him.  After the saga, the FBI opened an investigation to find out what on earth had happened. No one knew who Dan Cooper really was, where he had vanished to, or what his motive was.  The extensive investigation interviewed hundreds of people and took several leads all over the country. Of the 800 suspects identified, all but 24 were ruled out entirely.  In 1980, nearly a decade after the incident, a young boy stumbled across a rotting package full of twenty dollar bills in the area where Cooper is estimated to have landed. The serial numbers on the notes matched those on the ransom money.  This supported a theory many people had already considered that Cooper hadn't survived the jump at all, with basic equipment and unsuitable clothing.  After 45 years and hundreds of leads, the FBI still has no answers on what became of Dan Cooper (who came to be known as DB Cooper in the press).  In 2016, the Bureau officially closed the investigation, but it remains open to tip offs today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10