Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 21525 times)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2024, 07:19:10 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/16/standing-on-the-god-whose-plans-always-stand?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=257062956&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_BdJeFSF1AkYaGMT8T--HyF5C4cvl_06XdlmcwpiapJQFomq3t8oZVjPXrc81moYzl6I16Na6BLuP2suEGbJ2PQFZdpQ&utm_content=257062956&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Standing on the God Whose Plans Always Stand
May 16, 2023
by Meredith Houston Carr

“Saul’s plan was to have David fall by the hands of the Philistines … David met with more success than the rest of Saul’s officers, and his name became well known.” 1 Samuel 18:25b-30 (NIV)

If you’re like me, you love a good story one of the classics where an embattled hero emerges victorious over the enemy. Or where light overcomes darkness. Or good triumphs over evil.  In one challenging chapter of my marriage, I longed for that kind of storybook ending. Daily, I’d cry out to God, begging Him for victory and protection against the enemy’s schemes that made me wonder: God, are You truly stronger than this opposition we’re facing?

In that season, God led me to a passage of Scripture in 1 Samuel detailing the epic struggle between Saul and David.  In a nutshell, the nation of Israel begged for a king, so God chose Saul as their inaugural leader. However, after Saul failed to obey God’s commands fully, God anointed David, a young, obscure shepherd boy, as Israel’s next king. David entered Saul’s service as a musician and quickly rose to fame and fortune by defeating the notorious Goliath (1 Samuel 15-17).  When the people showered David with adoration and praise, Saul ruled by murderous jealousy went from frustrated to unhinged, bent on taking out his competition.  The first part of today’s key verses clues us in to Saul’s sinister state of mind: “Saul’s plan was to have David fall by the hands of the Philistines” (1 Samuel 18:25b).

Yes, this wayward king had big plans to place David in the path of the Philistines (Israel’s longtime enemies) and let them wipe him out.  On paper, Saul certainly had every resource, power and opportunity to accomplish his evil task. To all the world, it looked like David was at the mercy of Saul’s plans what a vulnerable place to be!  It’s how I felt during that tough time in my marriage, and I wonder if you’re feeling that way today too. Maybe you feel like you’re at the mercy of a challenging season where everything or everyone seems to be against you. We know that Satan is our one true enemy, yet he works through all kinds of people and circumstances to incite fear and doubt inside us.  Like the boss who refuses to recognize your potential.  Or that family member who’s stuck in toxic patterns.  Or the health crisis that’s pushed you past your breaking point.  Or the bills that keep piling up with no end in sight.  With our backs against the wall, we long for an answer to that question nagging at our faith: God, are You really stronger than this opposition I’m facing?

We don’t know if David ever whispered that question, but we do know he moved forward in courage as God’s chosen, anointed future king: “… David met with more success than the rest of Saul’s officers, and his name became well known” (1 Samuel 18:30).

Saul had his plan, yes, but so did God, and no amount of trying, tricking or treachery would stop God’s plan!  Nothing can stop His plans for you either, dear one.  If the enemy has you backed into a corner, try taking these two steps today:  First, resolve to reject fear. We can make this choice with our heads even when our hearts haven’t entirely caught up. Something as simple as repeating the words “I will not fear” throughout the day can make a massive difference in bolstering your courage!  Second, take the next step in front of you. Time and again, that’s what David did he faithfully said “yes” to whatever opportunity God placed in his path, whether it was tending sheep or leading a group of men into battle. He kept his eyes focused on God instead of the enemy  and we can do likewise!  God is bigger than the biggest enemy you’ll ever face. And nothing can or will thwart His excellent and gracious plans for you! I’ve stood on this truth in every hard season of my life, and it’s a truth you can stand on too today and always.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2024, 11:27:52 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/17/learning-to-calm-and-quiet-your-soul?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=257063106&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--ycxh928hR6b1Cqu8gpea8ucmyNZeXCNDuilCuLY9XDXFl4iCrGeO-nZaeFmz0ZpAPy3Xe7fyg9qK82U7_TSJp6vZrkQ&utm_content=257063106&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Learning To Calm and Quiet Your Soul
May 17, 2023
by Sarah J. Hauser

“But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.” Psalm 131:2 (ESV)

Many days, my soul feels frantic and overwhelmed, hurried or even heavy. I sometimes lie in bed at night, staring at the ceiling, taking inventory of all I didn’t get done. Or I incessantly Google my questions, seeking solutions to my problems and answers to angst.  Whether I’m juggling everyday responsibilities or processing profound heartache, I so often find myself restless, fearful and uncertain.  Maybe you can relate. Maybe you find yourself bouncing from one task to the next, and the pace of your life leaves not just your body but your soul feeling rushed. Or maybe you’re in a season of grief, and the broken pieces of your heart feel like they’re being tossed around by relentless waves.  No matter your circumstances, you can still find true, deep rest. King David carried the weight of a kingdom on his shoulders. He was chased by his enemies, suffered loss and wrestled with sin. But in Psalm 131:2, he said, “I have calmed and quieted my soul ...”

Having a calm and quiet soul can feel impossible. There’s so much to do in a day, so much to think through, and so many people hurting. How can we have calm and quiet souls in the midst of it all?

In Psalm 131:1, David wrote, “O LORD, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me” (ESV).

In other words, David humbled himself. He wasn’t arrogant but instead recognized who he was in relation to who God is. Without humility, David wouldn’t have been able to admit his need for rest and his need for God’s care and provision.  Rest requires humility.  Then in the next verse, Psalm 131:2, David said he was like a weaned child with his mother. A weaned child isn’t clamoring for his mother’s milk. A weaned child is content in his mother’s arms, trusting she will provide.  I’ve learned from my four kids that the weaning process isn’t always easy. At first, a weaning child will cry and scream for what he wants, but the mother doesn’t love the child any less because she’s not giving him what he craves. She’s helping that child move from infancy to maturity. She’s still providing what he needs, but what he needs may be different than what he wants.  We are so often screaming babies, clawing at God for what we want and He can handle all our cries and questions. But eventually, a child will recognize that his mother isn’t holding out on him when she doesn’t nurse. He begins to understand that he will be fed.  Like that child calm and quiet in his mother’s arms, we can find rest in the arms of our God. When we humbly trust Him, we can find true, lasting peace, come what may. At times, like the child being weaned, we can feel like God is withholding His provision. But He’s not. He provides what we need when we need it, growing us up so we “may be mature and complete, lacking nothing” (James 1:4, CSB).

Like David, we can calm and quiet our souls not because life circumstances are peaceful or our unruly to-do lists are finally tamed. Rather, we can calm and quiet our souls because God is a trustworthy, faithful provider who invites us to rest in His arms.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2024, 11:33:21 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/18/numbering-our-days-with-hope?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=257063150&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--qYYKD6OVUxoHaumGEGlhHtVdTG7UeiL1M0OvmRXQg4h1LTxoNdyXxW4nApaR16sdh221iyiET9PZlV-_5bb871UYHtw&utm_content=257063150&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Numbering Our Days With Hope
May 18, 2023
by Ruth Chou Simons

“So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12 (ESV)

Do you ever get bogged down in the everyday mundane?

I sure do.  Do you sometimes feel as if the right-now, never-ending emails, to-dos, laundry, homework, conflict resolution, dirty dishes, and carpool lines are always pressing in, always swirling, but never quite getting you anywhere?

Me too.  One of the encouragements I find myself repeating again and again to myself and the women around me is not to let the mundane, everyday tasks of life or the busyness of any particular season rob us of rhythms and priorities that help us know and love Jesus more. We always need the reminder to keep our eyes on our eternal hope in Him.  Maybe it’s my age (let’s just say I’m in my mid-late 40s, shall we?), or maybe it’s the season I’m in (preparing to graduate my oldest child from college and see him off to grad school in another state), but Psalm 90 and its implications have resonated in my heart and mind over the last several months.  The psalmist, often presumed to be Moses, asks God to “teach us to number our days” (Psalm 90:12).

Perhaps what’s most encouraging to me in this passage is the use of the word “teach” because that means it’s normal not to automatically have wisdom for how to live our days purposefully, wisely and rightly motivated. This is something to be learned over time.  Numbering our days means pausing for regular consideration of our days in light of God’s ways recognizing the finite gift of our lives here on earth and gaining “a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12) as we steward what God has given us. This framework gives us permission to live with both courage and caution, simultaneously constrained and carefree. In the big, life-altering decisions and in the everyday mundane.  The eternal hope of Christ gives purpose to our days. There is a destination we’re headed to a hope not yet fully realized and this world is not it.  So numbering our days isn’t about mustering up fervor to “live life to the fullest” or to “carpe diem” our way through life. No, life’s meaning has already been secured by the image of God we carry in us (Genesis 1:27) and the finished work of redemption purchased for us by Jesus (Ephesians 1:7).  What does it mean to number our days, then?

It means rejoicing in our eternal hope and allowing it to shape the choices we make how we spend our time, where we look for encouragement, how we spend money, what entertainment we seek out, and the people we choose to invest in and listen to.  If we consider every day as part of God’s plan to teach us to take our eyes off of our immediate circumstances, we can set our minds on the God who has purposefully placed us in the midst of our current season so that we might live for Him. When we remember that God has numbered our days, we treasure everything that reminds us we already have everything we need in Him.

Lil angel

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2024, 11:46:56 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/23/what-do-i-do-with-these-hard-emotions?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=257492745&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--Kwwu1mc5eCMTV0GE4V0KEsFTxNJakOYZubVRJhYDccaehaL752J61gfT_3HvBCaK1NICGmLxUWdePgV_-PplFMEjgZg&utm_content=257492745&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

What Do I Do With These Hard Emotions?
May 23, 2023
by Lynn Cowell

“He said to them, 'I am deeply grieved to the point of death. Remain here and stay awake.' He went a little farther, fell to the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.” Mark 14:34-35 (CSB)

What is this strange feeling in my chest?

Having never experienced the small pain before, I wondered what was happening.  Over the past few minutes, I’d been talking with Jesus, praying about a tenuous family situation, giving Him my heartache. My pen and paper were tools helping me unload my fears as well as my pain. Hadn’t I been pouring out all my concerns to the only One who could truly fix them?

Why, then, was my chest tight and hurting a bit?

Did this unfamiliar pressure of anxiety in my body mean I was doubting my Father?

I truly thought I was trusting Him.  For the first time, I began to understand that when our emotions are overwhelming, we can feel their repercussions in our bodies. Powerful emotions are not bad in and of themselves; in fact, our emotions were given to us by God. His original design, though, when God created people in His image (Genesis 1:27), was not for us to experience emotions that hurt us.  To make more connections between my Maker and the way He made me, I read the Gospels, searching for the emotions Jesus experienced in His days on earth. There they were: sadness (John 11:35), anger (Matthew 21:12-13), happiness (John 15:11) and so many more.  Though Jesus could never be overwhelmed in His divinity, Scripture tells us that when He was overwhelmed in His humanity, Jesus withdrew to spend time with His Father. He found the strength to keep moving toward fulfilling His Father’s assignment even when He was feeling strong emotions.  The Gospel of Mark shares Jesus’ experience as He faced His hardest assignment yet. Mark 14:33-34 says Jesus “took Peter, James, and John with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. He said to them, ‘I am deeply grieved to the point of death. Remain here and stay awake’” (CSB).

There in the garden, on the night of His betrayal, crushed by pain, Jesus “fell to the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from him” (Mark 14:35).

Jesus fell facedown (Matthew 26:39). It seems His emotional anguish was so strong He collapsed. And Jesus experienced other visible signs of emotional distress: “being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground” (Luke 22:44, NIV).

Yet He went on to pray: “Abba, Father! All things are possible for you. Take this cup away from me. Nevertheless, not what I will, but what you will” (Mark 14:36, CSB).

He experienced extreme anguish and trusted His Father at the same time. In spite of profound agony, Jesus kept going, fulfilling His mission to die for us.  Like Jesus, you and I may experience powerful emotions, energy coursing through our minds, hearts and bodies, while walking with the Father. Anxiety, sadness, anger or other emotions are not necessarily indications that we’re not close to the Lord. And trusting God doesn’t always mean that what’s creating the strong emotion in us will go away. Still, we can choose to trust God even if things do not go the way we want, facing what comes with the assurance that God is by our side.  As I began to take long, deep breaths and meditate on His Word, my emotions prompted me to continue inviting the Holy Spirit into my problem by using tools sometimes called “spiritual disciplines” such as prayer, meditation on God’s Word, lament and more. We can always ask God to empower us to continue moving toward Jesus, even in the midst of anxious or hard feelings.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2024, 01:13:28 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/26/god-has-not-forgotten-you?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=257514411&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--SeRmLGSQP0CUYjTl9nK7ToXDTCjRPA1jDzNdFKc2QqKPqYT7c03mM58F1BaJNsqP_n7ZcE9qtwn6kDpj4GH7Iy8NVig&utm_content=257514411&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

God Has Not Forgotten You
May 26, 2023
by Jodi Harris

"HOW LONG, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?  Consider and answer me, O LORD my God ...” Psalm 13:1-3 (ESV)

“I think we should name him Chuck Norris.”

“How about Bruce Lee?”

“I say Chuck Lee.  Raise your hand if you vote for Chuck Lee.”

This was a nightly dinner discussion with my then 7- and 9-year-old sons, talking over names for their soon-to-be baby brother.  “How about Zachary? Or Christian?” I added, hoping to sway the crazy talk.

“Ooh! I like Zachary! And Christian!” my oldest said. “Raise your hand for Zachary Christian.”

All hands went up. Whew. That was close. How weird it would have been to explain how my youngest child was named during the karate phase at our house.  Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you know it’s your life, but you don’t recognize your life? This was me at the table of karate name options.  Our family had moved to minister in a new community, believing God had called us there, but as we stepped out in faith, He went radio silent. He gave marching orders; we charged ahead. When we looked back, He was gone. Or so it seemed.  Maybe you’ve been here too: With all your heart, you knew it. You put all your eggs in the basket. You bought the field for the treasure (Matthew 13:44). You. Were. Sure. And then you weren’t.  Maybe you’ve prayed a prayer of desperation similar to King David’s in today’s key verse: “How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?

Consider and answer me, O LORD my God ...” (Psalm 13:1-3).

In my own prayer of desperation, I tagged on the specifics:  Lord, this baby is a miracle. And I'm so thankful for the blessing of a child! But in the stress and overwhelm of our ministry situation, I’m feeling out of sorts and crying over a seemingly small thing this baby’s name. Nothing seems right. Not my life, not my situation, and not the baby names on my list! Where are You, God?

Why have You forgotten me?

Zachary.  That’s all I heard in my spirit. Skeptical, I prayed, For months, You’ve said nothing, and now just this random name? That’s not even on my list!  Maybe there was more to it. I pulled out my book of baby names to search the biblical meaning of the name Zachary:  God has remembered you.  I let it sink in. God has remembered you.  Now it was my turn to be silent as I sat in awe of God’s wisdom and timing.  So distracted by unmet expectations, I had assumed God was nowhere near. But in the midst of my frustrated prayers, He reminded me of His presence by gently whispering the name of my unborn son.  That personal and kind reminder not only touched my heart in that moment but in every moment over the last 14 years when my son Zachary has whispered “I love you” to his mama.

If you’re like me, you tend to look for God in the obvious, over-the-top miracles. You look for Him in mighty displays of power like fireworks, where you can point and say to those around you, “See? Only God could do that!”

While we’re busy seeking the big and boisterous, we often miss His still, small voice that comes in those dark and desperate, very silent nights. In a world of “bigger means better,” we’ve been desensitized to the smaller yet spectacular. We miss the God who sits so close He whispers with the gentleness and intimacy of a loving Father speaking to His child.  Friend, following God’s call may not meet your expectations. But quite possibly He wants to reveal His heart in new ways that exceed your expectations.  And today, if you’re in the in-between place of surrendering your expectations and looking for how God will move in your situation, let me remind you of this simple truth:  God has not forgotten you.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2024, 10:06:06 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/29/finding-gods-love-in-the-darkness?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8S99WjebhlP9bt0qe9EdEqIbGQN1EcAAVAVvNe-USWSEITBKMj5SZjPckByPHkIVoQU-mxA5lwY6zqRCiUEaXBIzk2DA&_hsmi=257692862&utm_content=257692862&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Finding God’s Love in the Darkness
May 29, 2023
by Elizabeth Laing Thompson

"Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell." Psalm 43:3 (NIV)

“Do you know which pill to take tonight?”

I hold out Dad’s medicine container.  Dad studies it, brow furrowed. “This is Tuesday night? So I take …” He points to a blue compartment. “This one?”

“Yes!”

We share a triumphant smile, reveling in this small victory over his failing memory.  Dad walks me to the door of his house, the little place we built for him behind our house. I drop a goodnight kiss on his cheek, and when he opens the door, darkness greets us. “Hey, Dad, can you turn on your porch light till I get inside?”

His expression brightens. “I’d love to do that for you.”

And in his enthusiasm, I hear the sentiment he can no longer express: I’m delighted to take care of you for a change the way I used to.  I walk across the yard, my path bright. When I reach my door, I wave to Dad, and his light blinks off. My eyes are blurred with tears, but I’m not just sad I’m thankful. Memory-filled. Because even though Dad’s dementia is progressing, God keeps giving us precious, don’t-blink-or-you’ll-miss-them connections like this, moments when Dad is still Dad. When his love breaks the chains of his disease.  I’ve learned to look for these moments to pause, linger, savor because not only do they help me feel my earthly father’s love, but they also help me feel my heavenly Father’s love. They remind me that even in heartache, God is with us.  A psalmist wrote this poignant prayer in God's Word that helps us seek His love in dark times:  “Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight” (Psalm 43:2c-4a, NIV).

When heartache strikes, we can ask our Father to lead us. And where does His loving light point us?

To His mountain, His altar. To relationship with Him, a relationship radiating joy and delight.  That’s a comforting thought, yet when we’re walking a not-so-comforting path loneliness, loss, debt, disease it can be difficult to see God’s light or feel His presence. We inch forward, dodging shadows. Eyes glued to the ground, we see only rocks and divots and dangers. Consumed by worry and fear, we don’t notice our Father quietly shining His light behind us, keeping watch till we’re safely inside.

The psalmist expressed a similar inner conflict. He asked God to lead him, but in his next breath, he poured out a contradictory jumble of feelings:  “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God” (Psalm 43:5, NIV).

He was basically saying, “I do trust God but I still feel sad and confused and that confuses me!” Can’t we all relate to this struggle?

When life gets challenging, our feelings and our faith may disagree! But the psalmist fought through his feelings to reclaim his faith. He deliberately put his hope in God’s care.  And what does putting our hope in God look like?

It often begins simply: by asking God to help us see His love at work. Because even when our path is littered with obstacles, our faithful Father is working, guiding us to solid footing. If you pay attention, you’ll begin to notice the many ways His love is piercing the darkness, lighting your way.  Maybe He prompts a friend to text you at just the right moment.  Maybe He guides you to a scripture that bolsters your courage.  Maybe He helps your money stretch just far enough.  When we look ahead with eyes of faith, we see our Father keeping watch over our steps, beating back the darkness with enough light and love to help us find our way home.

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2024, 12:09:38 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/05/31/keep-moving-into-your-future?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8K-14uoHy49ua_TZCdpnu84VHSb1udXM3aRh_t24R_-K4lJIbHemcR5cRyEUGr7R9dKs7_8wLqbrcHF0WlygFwwdIf4w&_hsmi=257850591&utm_content=257850591&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Keep Moving Into Your Future
May 31, 2023
by Christine Caine

“When the time came to completion, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, ‘Abba, Father!’ So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then God has made you an heir.” Galatians 4:4-7 (CSB)

I love that adoption is the heart of the gospel and not because I’m adopted.  Well, maybe a little because I’m adopted.  But the truth is God could have used any metaphor to explain how we become a part of His family. Yet He used this intimate metaphor of adoption to show us that He actually chose us to be His children because He loves us and that is where our identity lies.  “When the time came to completion, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, ‘Abba, Father!’ So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then God has made you an heir” (Galatians 4:4-7).

We are meant to live securely in His love, knowing we are His loved children.  But the reality is we often outsource the source of our security by making others our authority, by placing their opinions of us above God’s truth about us. If we do this long enough, it can lead us off the course of God’s purposes and on a personal quest to seek our value, worth and belonging from those who can’t give it to us.  In all of life, the most insecure position to be in is the one in which we have something to prove or something to lose. So anytime and every time we seek to find our security in anyone or anything other than God, we will be plagued with insecurity. Can you think of anyone in your history who has this place of power over you?

Who are you still looking back at, desperately longing for them to validate you?

Maybe you’re looking back at:  A father who was never satisfied.  A mother who you couldn’t do enough to please.  A teacher who said you’d never amount to anything.  An ex-spouse who said no one could ever love you.  The middle-school or high-school mean girls who shamed you for your body.  Or maybe you’re looking back at what you consider to be your worst mistake, the one by which you’re still defining yourself.  Instead of glancing back to learn, grow, develop and repent, we’ve grown accustomed to constantly looking back, and that looking back has gotten us stuck and fixated on the past. We’ve allowed whatever is back there to define us, limit us, label us and trap us. But the same Jesus who saved us wants to set us free (John 8:36).  If you are a follower of Christ, I assure you that you are fully loved, no matter what anyone else has ever said to you or about you, no matter what anyone has ever done to you, no matter what mistakes or failures you’ve experienced. You are His adopted, beloved, chosen child.  He’s loved you since before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4) and He will not stop.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2024, 10:49:44 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/06/09/the-end-of-all-weeping-is-coming?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9pCyOr7DLK86VQGbU2D28Fv0GtfyfsvlcDsti8pgla58QT-TedJQ48Lg339gnW4sz9DcWjF4HsmYoV6YUFhkj8At2Pdw&_hsmi=258837864&utm_content=258837864&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The End of All Weeping Is Coming
June 9, 2023
by Lysa TerKeurst

"'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4 (NIV)

Do you ever feel like pain and sorrow are chasing you down?

Like you just can’t outrun all of the hurt?

I’ve been there.  That’s why I want us to look at someone in Scripture who understands this kind of pain King David.  Not only did David spend a significant amount of time running for his life from King Saul (before David himself became king), but he also eventually ended up running from his very own son Absalom.  But whereas Saul openly sought David’s life, we find Absalom sneaked around behind his father’s back in an effort to rip the kingdom from David’s hands. With slick promises and conspiratorial kisses, Absalom easily “stole the hearts of the people of Israel” (2 Samuel 15:6, NIV).

And it wasn’t long before David received word that his kingdom was crumbling right in front of him (2 Samuel 15:13).  In light of these events, David saw that his situation was desperately dangerous. He needed to escape. The route we find him taking to escape the city, weeping as he went, trailed across the Kidron Valley, through the garden of Gethsemane, over the Mount of Olives, and into the Judean desert. This was the known escape route for those needing to flee from danger quickly in Jerusalem (2 Samuel 15:16-37).  Within this story, we are reminded of a larger story. The people of God are continually wayward in our love and affections toward our King. We allow our hearts to be captivated by others. We are prone to stray. This wasn’t just the case when David was king. People also did this to another King who would come from David’s bloodline generations later King Jesus.  Years later, Jesus would sit in the garden of Gethsemane, the very gateway of David’s escape route, facing extreme danger. We read about Jesus in these difficult moments in Mark 14:34-36, where He lamented: “‘My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,  Stay here and keep watch.’ Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. ‘Abba, Father,’ he said, ‘everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will’” (NIV).

His people were turning against Him. Jesus wasn’t meeting their expectations as King. They wanted Him dead.  As I once sat in the garden of Gethsemane during a visit to the Holy Land, my heart was overcome with the reality of what Jesus was facing while in that very place. He knew He could have escaped (Matthew 26:52-54). He knew He could have fled like David had done. He knew the way to take to save Himself.  But Jesus stayed so He could save us.  Though my heart strays from Him, Jesus’ heart is compelled to stay for me.  Jesus ended His prayer to God with nine earth-shaking, demon-quaking, hell-shattering words: “Yet not what I will, but what you will” (Mark 14:36c, NIV). In other words, He completely submitted to God’s plan because He knew, in the end, it was best.  Jesus is the only King who perfectly fulfilled God’s will.  As we read the story of King David, we must always remember he simply points to the better David Jesus, who is the King of kings. The contrast between David’s experience and Jesus’ is important:

*  Both David and Jesus wept on the Mount of Olives. David wept over the betrayal and potential loss he faced all things that affected him personally. Jesus wept over the city and people of Jerusalem.
*  As David escaped over the Mount of Olives, he faced the potential loss of his kingdom. As Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane at the base of the Mount of Olives, He began His journey to the cross, where He conquered sin and death and established the Kingdom of heaven.
*  David’s kingdom was eventually war-torn and broken. The Kingdom of heaven will reign forever.

What does this mean for us today?

I would imagine we can all relate to David’s weeping. Our lives are riddled with evidence that we live in a broken world loss, hurt, death, betrayal, heartbreak and relationship breakdowns. But may we remember Jesus’ weeping as well. He hurts when we hurt. And that’s the exact reason He made a way for us to enter His eternal Kingdom one day, where there will be no more sorrow and no more weeping. Hold on to these words. This coming day is closer than we realize: "'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away" (Revelation 21:4).

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2024, 10:13:03 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/06/19/when-envy-tempts-follow-jesus?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_vrjQR2SaidW6VdYbcoXYjbtlXJqJYF6bkT4x1uieolYHNb-ewHBas9Xaz8N_aXc8h3Gi5jKMBlTltVSKrBdrVDfr8NQ&_hsmi=261041537&utm_content=261041537&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When Envy Tempts, Follow Jesus
June 19, 2023
by Elizabeth Laing Thompson

“… what is that to you? You must follow me.” John 21:22 (NIV)

“I finally got it! The big break I’ve been praying for at work!”

My friend’s voice was alight with excitement and I felt excited for her too.  Mostly.  But to my dismay, I also had some side feelings. Unwanted thoughts. Somewhere behind my genuine joy, a shadowy voice whispered, I’ve been praying for a breakthrough, too why hasn’t God said "yes" to me?

Why her and not me?

The moment those thoughts took shape, I felt a swift surge of shame: What’s wrong with me?

How could I think something so ugly?

Maybe you’ve been there, too watching someone else receive The Thing you’ve been praying for. Feeling happy for them but also wrestling with the infamous green-eyed monster, aka envy.  Envy is one of those complicated internal struggles that can make us feel an undue amount of shame. Alongside the envious thoughts, we hear the enemy’s cruel voice taunting, How dare you struggle with envy! You’re an unloving friend!  So before we tackle the envy, let’s dismantle the shame. When my thoughts drift toward envy, I find it helpful to remember the difference between temptation and sin. We all have in-the-moment, knee-jerk reactions. Our fleshly natures instinctively lean toward petty thoughts and selfish feelings. But simply having an envious thought pop into our heads is not sin it’s temptation.  Scripture describes temptation this way: “but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death” (James 1:14-15, NIV).

Sin takes time to grow in our hearts. Envious thoughts may contain the seed of potential sin, but if we don’t water them, they can’t grow. We all have envious thoughts it’s what we do with those thoughts that matters. God gives us the power to choose: Will we follow envy’s lead, or will we follow Jesus?

Jesus once had a conversation with His disciple Peter that resets my perspective whenever I’m tempted with envy. Jesus was preparing Peter for his future, hinting that Peter would one day be martyred (John 21:18-19). Peter, perhaps feeling that he was being unfairly singled out for suffering, pointed at another disciple and asked, “Lord, what about him?” (John 21:21, NIV). 

Jesus then told Peter, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me” (John 21:22).

Jesus’ bluntness here always surprises me, as I imagine it surprised Peter. And yet the Lord wasn’t being unkind; He was being truthful. Jesus was reminding Peter that He has different purposes and paths for each person.  The next time you’re tempted with envy, try borrowing Jesus’ logic and gently asking yourself, If God wants her to have that blessing, what is that to me? In other words, If God wants her to walk a different path from mine, how does that change my calling?

Each of us experiences unique detours and obstacles, burdens and blessings. When someone else receives something we don’t have yet, they aren’t taking our blessing they are simply walking God’s path for them. Embracing this perspective helps us to sincerely rejoice with others instead of thinking, Why not me?

We may never know why our paths differ, but we can trust that we are all being shepherded by God, whose love for us is “as high as the heavens” (Psalm 103:11, NIV).

Jesus concluded His talk with Peter by saying, “You must follow me” (John 21:22).

Our paths are all different, but our calling is the same: No matter where Jesus leads us, we must follow. Why?

Because Jesus knows the way.  When we encounter disappointment or delay Jesus knows the way.  When our paths take unexpected or unwanted turns Jesus knows the way.  When we need help battling temptation Jesus knows the way.  Best of all, when we follow Jesus, we are never alone. He walks in front of us He walks with us every step of the way.

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2024, 10:21:06 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/06/20/just-when-i-thought-i-was-ok?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_kEVXUQGN_YvModsllB6nA20Diborqo4RTsWKsZUtMCkkRVY4fp2txh8jwNllpFsZng-s1QDbl_tsbjoWPfdVyB9-SHw&_hsmi=261045511&utm_content=261045511&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Just When I Thought I Was OK
June 20, 2023
by Tracie Miles

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT)

The conversation was going along fine. Laughing. Poking fun. Making plans for a vacation. Just having a good time until we weren’t.  I said something in a joking manner, but my friend didn’t hear it that way, and the tables suddenly turned. My friend responded with instant anger and annoyance, which caught me off guard, and I felt misunderstood. Then the friend made some hurtful remarks and walked away.   Instantly, I shut down and my walls came up, which has become my involuntary response to these types of situations. Anxiety rolled in, my thoughts plummeted, and flashback visions of the past played before my eyes as if they were actually happening as if I was reliving traumatic events all over again. The emotions and hurt I routinely felt in past, similar circumstances with someone else felt just as strong in the present moment.  Just when I thought I was doing OK something triggered a past memory of a trauma that occurred. Feelings crashed down, fears flared up and walls erected.  Triggers from emotional wounds are real. They leave us feeling vulnerable, unsafe, unable to trust others, and at times unable to move forward with a healthy state of mind, peace or joy. Fear seeps into our souls, and it can be hard to shake.  Although the Bible doesn’t specifically address the phrase “emotional triggers,” we can still glean so much wisdom and comfort from many passages in Scripture as we cope and heal. Today’s key verse is merely one of those. Second Timothy 1:7 says, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.”

God’s Word tells us countless times not to fear because He’s got us covered (Isaiah 41:10). We have the power, through Him, to control our feelings, though that’s not always easy (Proverbs 16:32).  God's Word also helps us find freedom from our thoughts by capturing them and turning them around (2 Corinthians 10:5). His comfort can soothe our emotions as we breathe in His love (2 Corinthians 1:4).  As we lay our burdens at His feet, God ushers peace into our hearts (Matthew 11:28). We can learn to practice forgiveness of the ones who hurt us and to release the bondage of traumatic memories and anger (Ephesians 4:31).  We can lean into trusting God, believing He has our past and our future in His hands because of the love He has for us (Jeremiah 29:11). We can have faith that we will overcome adversity in His strength and power, just like David, Peter, Paul and even Jesus did in Scripture (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).  All of these biblical truths and practices can slowly heal us from the inside out, alongside the God-given blessings of counseling, therapy and medication if needed.  Over the years, I’ve finally learned that the hurt I endured during my marriage left scabs on my heart that can be all too easily ripped open. And when that happens, it only compounds other traumatic experiences earlier in life where emotional scars run deep. Yet if I remember all the countless holy truths and promises woven throughout God’s Word, I can learn to feel empowered to see life through His lens instead of mine and you can do the same.  A lot of people experience triggers from any form of emotional, mental or physical trauma every single day maybe even you. But regardless of what caused your wounds, healing is possible for all believers with God’s help. There are many beneficial avenues of healing that modern medicine provides, yet our faith is the core foundation that will get us through.  Because of our Lord, we don’t have to let fears, hurts from the past or triggers in the present dictate who we are or if we are happy. They don’t have to have control over us if we put God in control instead.  Healing is a process, not a destination, and God will be with us every step of the way.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2024, 12:01:26 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/06/22/when-youre-tempted-to-judge-her?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8pSG6uPKF5e79pmU4D7qXAvjpN2Z82288hQA8W9e3VQ1UFbaIkq9aSl-hZ0ddwNXPQcHjhh61HAwUIY35JchgKH1Mkyg&_hsmi=261222689&utm_content=261222689&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When You’re Tempted To Judge Her
June 22, 2023
by Lysa TerKeurst

“Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.” Philippians 4:5 (NIV)

Almost every day, I talk to people who are hurting for many different reasons.  When we’re in those places, one of the hardest parts is that we feel not only the pain of our hurtful situation but also the compounded hurt from others doing things that unknowingly add to our pain.  Assumptions are made.  Blame is assigned.  Labels are given.  Judgment is cast.  Whether we know someone is hurting or not, we can make a decision today: We will be people of gentleness, living out Philippians 4:5 “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.”

Your co-worker?

Your friend?

The woman at Bible study who never seems to engage?

That stranger whose child is screaming in the grocery store?

The neighbor who always seems grumpy and complains about everyone on your street?

Maybe she’s processing some kind of pain you don’t know about. Or she’s trying to figure out something very complicated. Chances are that she is facing or has faced something challenging. How do I know that?

Because she is a human living in the same confusing, often chaotic, hard-to-understand world that breaks your heart and mine.  Instead of following our first reaction to label her based on what she is doing right now, let’s pray for her based on what she’s probably facing right now. And if possible, why not offer a rare voice of encouragement or an unexpected act of kindness?

We may not be able to help the whole world be a better place today. But why not help the ones God places right in front of us?

In my own life, there was a time when my heart hurt so deeply that not much helped. But I remember an ordinary day when one of my friends randomly dropped off dinner for me. She didn’t even ask to come inside. She just texted me that she left dinner on the front porch, allowing me to have my space while making sure I knew she was there for me.  I cried because I had just prayed for God to help me. And then my friend showed up. Even though the soup she made wasn’t the solution for what I was facing, I felt a lot less alone. And I felt seen by God.  You can love and help and pray for someone without knowing the full story. Help with an obvious small need. Make that phone call. Send that card you wish you would receive in the mail. Leave an encouraging comment on her social media. Stop by with her favorite coffee just to say hello. Pick a flower and place it where she can see something beautiful. I believe that when we suddenly find ourselves in the seat of suffering (and all of us will be there at some point), what we’ve modeled to others will often be returned back to us.  Judgment can end with us when gentleness flows through us. Together, let’s show someone a little less judgment and a lot more of Jesus today.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2024, 12:07:12 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/06/23/feelings-may-fade-but-his-word-remains?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_c30i-ldE7FjGGCPWF8s7ShR9kNkNgH8N6KqWwJfFA0ZME6aXonaKNBIjuOIQRsDww52mcFRXObWA01dnhvyU9ft2Ouw&_hsmi=261240701&utm_content=261240701&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Feelings May Fade, but His Word Remains
June 23, 2023
by Sarah Freymuth

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105 (ESV)

I plod to my chair in the corner, pull my coffee close, and breathe for a minute before opening my Bible. I glance out the window, taking in the curve of tree branches and the sea of blue sky above. I wish, yet again, that the inside of me would look the same: restored, light, vibrant.  I’m a feeler through and through, an empath who puts on the emotions and experiences of others and feels them deeply. But since being struck with lingering physical and mental health challenges from a traumatic season of life, I’ve found my emotions are very low, and I’m unable to commune with God and others in the ways I love.  It’s been over a year, and I’m still shuffling through the beauty of this world with a muted palette. Brain fog, exhaustion and perhaps medication have stifled what I’ve always seen as my “superpower” of feeling, which has led most of my life and faith.  It’s been frustrating, confusing and full of grief. While there has definitely been improvement, I’m still not operating in mind, body and spirit as I would like.  What do we do when we feel empty, lost and disillusioned?

When our feelings have fled and we can’t sense the closeness of God, how do we still stay grounded and secure in our belief that our loving Father hasn’t left us?

When the ways we’ve always relied on are no longer around to guide us, how do we handle the inside-out season of uncertainty?

We choose to stake our faith on the promises of God.  As the fog shrouds our spiritual view and our hearts are left unfeeling and unable to sort through the emotions, we reach out for something strong to hold on to. And we learn a new way of walking with the Lord.  “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105).

This is the time to lean on the strength of Scripture, looking to the words written long ago that stand the test of time and have guided thousands upon thousands of fellow sojourners through life with our Lord despite every internal and external suffering and uncertainty.  Even when we don’t feel our faith, we fight for our faith. We taste His Word on our tongues and receive what revives. We get up each day as best we can and take hold of even just one piece of Scripture, returning to it again and again throughout the day. Sometimes this is all we are able to do, and it is good. God is there, in the fight for the day, in the tears that stay in our hearts rather than our eyes, in the numbness, in the muted emotion.  Faith is not just a feeling, and feeling isn’t always fact. God has given us His Word exactly for times like these because His Word is living and active, always moving for us, always at work in us (Hebrews 4:12). And the more we rely on the reminders of His faithfulness, His presence, His promise to go before us and keep us in His forever love, the more we are anchored in mind, body and spirit. When feelings fade, His Word remains, building a pathway that leads deeper into who God is.  “Your word is a lamp to my feet …” (Psalm 119:105).

This image implies the speaker's feet are moving, making a way forward.  God's Word is also “a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105).

When we long to know the way, we can choose to trust He will guide us through.  Today is here, and so is He. We have a choice to place our trust in God even if especially if we can’t gauge our feelings. God is the One who navigates, who guides, who makes His goodness known. And that is a fact to hold on to.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2024, 04:59:35 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/07/03/finding-courage-in-community?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-86SAnp3coq0lCWBPWMK2J2wvXTiLy122hh89Eda-Mxsc0ocwfTzkdmQ2iTT550OmtzjbQlvWoEWxqrYnYCyqQrCmzAHg&_hsmi=262567430&utm_content=262567430&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Finding Courage in Community
July 3, 2023
by Dorina Lazo Gilmore-Young

“So Moses brought their case before the LORD, and the LORD said to him, ‘What Zelophehad’s daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father’s relatives and give their father’s inheritance to them.’” Numbers 27:5-7 (NIV)

Recently, I gathered with a group of women leaders in my city. These women head up nonprofits, work as teachers and administrators in local schools, run businesses, and lead in churches. Many of them were feeling run down and overwhelmed by needs in their circles of influence.  Maybe that describes you today: run down, overwhelmed, and ready to throw in the towel. No matter where we lead whether in our city, church, workplace or home we all reach a point where we’re not sure how to keep going. Loss, obstacles and opposition wear us down and wear us out.  The women leaders in my city were hungry for some encouragement in their various leadership roles. So I opened up my Bible to the book of Numbers and read a story about five sisters who were part of the nation of Israel: the daughters of Zelophehad.  These women in Numbers 27, who are called by name Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milkah and Tirzah (Numbers 27:1) walked a journey of grief. Their father died, and they were left without provision. Together they went to Moses and appealed to his compassion and subsequently the compassion of God.  They posed a respectful yet pointed question: “Why should our father’s name disappear from his clan because he had no son?” (Numbers 27:4a, NIV).

In essence, they asked for the rights to their father’s property, which is not something women were usually granted in this ancient context. Fathers gave their daughters a dowry or gift upon marriage, but daughters did not inherit property. Still, Moses heard their case and brought their request to God. I love God’s response:  “So Moses brought their case before the LORD, and the LORD said to him, ‘What Zelophehad’s daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father’s relatives and give their father’s inheritance to them’” (Numbers 27:5-7).

This story teaches us a lot about God’s heart for women. The word translated “case” here is mishpat in Hebrew, which can also mean “justice” and is used throughout the Bible. The women made a personal case for justice, which affected the entire community. The law was changed, and all women who were left without fathers and brothers would benefit (Numbers 27:8-11).

These women stepped out in community with courage. They serve as examples to all of us today. God gives us intelligence, agency and creativity to move in our respective spheres of influence. And because He goes with us and provides others to bolster our courage, we don’t have to do it alone.  Who can you link arms with to go with them courageously toward change?

Maybe God is calling you to go with your daughter by offering her wisdom and encouragement.  Maybe He’s calling you to lead your organization and go with your team in a new direction.  Maybe your husband needs you to go with him by praying over him.  Maybe you can go with your sister in Christ who is learning to rise up and voice her story.  Let’s pray about ways we can move forward in faith and community like the daughters of Zelophehad who changed history.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Today at 03:57:42 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/07/04/celebrating-the-victories?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9qNZ8-GRdozLxZWHzjDJ4Jz0waRRUPOcy8XySDZwEvxAv73E4VqaASKBWsRcQKa8F7NCZfrmxxbShPj48o8mGIecjecw&_hsmi=262570647&utm_content=262570647&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Celebrating the Victories
July 4, 2023
by Karen Wingate

“With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.” Psalm 18:29 (NIV)

The day after my husband got a job offer in a city 1,000 miles away, I gave birth to our second child.  Within two weeks, we learned our newborn baby daughter would need immediate surgery, leading to two overnight hospital stays, and we had no insurance. The new job couldn’t wait, so my husband drove off with our belongings, leaving me to stay with friends and finish up with post-op doctor visits and financial arrangements.  When I remember this two-month period in my life, I still get teary.  I have never experienced such a mixture of despair, anguish and worry sloshed together in one big mess. When I have hit other stretches of rough pavement in my life, I’ve often thought, If I could make it through that season of life, I can make it through anything.  But I don’t want to remember those two months with only sorrow and regret. I want a smile to accompany the tears. God did amazing things for us: He surrounded us with kind and generous friends who fed us, gave us housing, and spoke encouraging words that offered hope. Two days before the children and I left town, our doctor’s financial director told me a county grant would pay our substantial medical bills in full. And today, my daughter has grown into an accomplished young woman.  While God invites us to make space for lament in suffering, I've realized we also have every reason to dance with delight for the ways we've witnessed God’s care for us.  In Scripture, Nehemiah gives us an example of how to remember hard seasons of life with celebration after our sadness. Nehemiah was the provincial governor during the time when returning Jewish exiles rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem and the rebuild was not easy. Enemies and naysayers dogged every hour, leading volunteers to work with a hammer in one hand and a sword in the other.  Yet God’s partnership with His people was so apparent that Israel’s enemies lost their nerve (Nehemiah 6:16). And when the building project was done, Nehemiah led a parade of people to march on top of the walls in praise to God, showing the strength of the very walls that their enemies had predicted would topple (Nehemiah 4:3). I love the imagery of Nehemiah’s dedication service. No private, closed-door ceremony for them; it was a loud, musical, top-of-the-wall celebration that could be heard far away (Nehemiah 12:43).  Our key verse for today says, “With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall” (Psalm 18:29).

With God, we can rebuild after devastation and then dance, even when others say it can't be done, praising God because He helped us do it. Our memory portraits of the sadness and struggle are not erased, but they now bear the added marks of God’s mighty power that makes healing possible.  I imagine you’ve had your seasons of struggle too. How did God walk with you? How did your faith stay strong, and how did others grow in their faith as they watched you? Even if it has been years, you can commemorate that time when you had to pick up the pieces of brokenness and rebuild your life. Like Nehemiah, you can dance in praise for what you accomplished with God’s help, even though it was so very hard.  Here's my idea: Like Nehemiah, let’s plan a victory celebration. We can set aside a time and place to praise God for what He has done to carry us through and empower us to rebuild.  You can even invite those who shared the work and worry with you and, together, tell what you saw God do. Be creative! To represent the person you are and how God has delivered you, you can celebrate with music, food, decorations, storytelling, crafts, or whatever helps you best express your joy.  In trouble and heartbreak, there is a time for grief. But there is also “a time to heal a time to build a time to dance” (Ecclesiastes 3:3-4, NIV).

Our faith can become even stronger than before with the help of our faithful God.