Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 21621 times)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
The Gift of Giving Part 2
Apr 08, 2019 | Mary Southerland

Today's Truth

I will provide for their needs before they ask, and I will help them while they are still asking for help.   Isaiah 65:24, NCV

Friend to Friend

Despite a very shaky start, the weekend could not have gone any better! (If you have not read yesterday’s devotion, stop where you are. Go back and read it now!)  Dan and I finally made it to Greensburg for my speaking event and checked into our hotel only to discover that the air conditioning in our room did not work.

1.   Did. Not. Care.
I was so tired that I literally climbed into bed and pleaded with my sweet husband to just deal with it. He did. I vaguely remember the maintenance man kicking the air conditioning unit in our room, and the unit coming to life. Go God!  And God was all over the event from beginning to end. I totally forgot about my hurting back the minute I began to speak. Every time I gave an invitation, women flooded the aisles. I talked and prayed with woman after woman all seeking God and His power to redeem, heal, and restore. It was an amazing day!  I even managed to forget about the fact that this “free” event had gouged an unexpected hole in our finances. I shakily chose to trust God.  The next day I spoke for the church where my friend and her husband pastor. I noticed her look of concern when I hobbled in and assured her that I would be fine. I then turned to Dan and quietly pleaded, “Do you have a sermon in your pocket?”

He smiled and said, “You’ve got this, honey.”

I did not care for his faith in me at that moment. But when I got up to speak, God did indeed come through again. It was a precious service and a time of eternal business with God.  On the way home, Dan and I talked and laughed about the whole weekend from the minute we stepped up to the airport counter to the air going out in his truck and that funny little auto parts store. We then celebrated all that God had done in the lives of the people who came to hear His Word and were forever changed through His power.  “Oh, did you check your money pouch?” Dan asked.

I had honestly not even thought about it. I had only brought a minimum number of books and CDs to sell and really did not expect much.
And that was my problem my pitiful expectations my meager faith.  We serve a God who can do a whole lot when we expect Him to. When I counted the money, I could not believe it. We had just enough to cover all of our expenses for the whole weekend! We partied all the way home!  But there is more.  When we got home, pulled in our driveway, and opened the garage door, Dan said, “Uh, honey, I think you need to go in the garage.”

Now that was strange. Dan had just told me to stay put while he unloaded the truck and opened the door. Yes I had a frozen bag of peas that still had a little life left in it. But I got out of the truck and went in the garage and promptly started screaming!  There sat a 2004 silver Honda Pilot. The car was in mint condition. The dealership papers said it had new tires, a new transmission, and a new timing belt. The car was a lease and had been perfectly maintained. And it had a third row big enough for all of our grandchildren!  The note on the windshield said it was a gift from the men in Dan’s fireside group. Three months earlier, they had noticed the absence of my old car and asked Dan about it. That’s all.  And now the note read, “It is unacceptable for our pastor’s wife to not have a car. We want you to know how much we love you.”

And there were no names except for the one man who had to title the car. I had no idea who to thank.  Oh, but I did.  My Father had worked through the willing hearts of some precious men to meet a need in my life. So I named the car Gracie. And every time I get behind the wheel of Gracie, I am reminded that no matter how hard we try, we simply cannot out-give God.  I want to live my life with open hands, dusty feet, calloused knees, and rolled-up sleeves. I want to be a generous giver. I may not have much money, but I can give what I have. I can give my time and energy my love and concern a listening ear and a caring heart. I can give my life.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 08:35:21 PM »
Jesus Is on Your Side
Apr 09, 2019 | Guest Writer

Today's Truth

Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail.  Luke 22:31-32, NIV

Friend to Friend

If I made a list of all the things that I want to thank Jesus for, this wonderful display of grace would be at the top. I mean seriously, here Jesus is, about to be abandoned, arrested, persecuted and executed, and what does He do? 

He prays for Simon Peter’s faith and assures Him that even though the waters are about to get stirred up, he’ll pass through them. The waves will not overwhelm him or obliterate his faith, even if he might feel like he’s going under.  You want to know what just wrecks me?

Knowing that Jesus, who now sits at the right hand of God and is interceding for us, has prayed specifically for me, that my faith may not fail. Consider the fact He’s doing the very same thing for you, right here and now in this moment. Amazing, right?

Jesus is on your side. He is with and for you, leading you to move forward through every trial and tribulation. I know there are times where it might not feel like it, but it’s the truth. Even when we feel worn out, tired, hopeless, afraid, abandoned and forgotten, Christ is standing right beside us. We are not alone in this journey and Jesus isn’t going to let our faith fail. As John Piper so eloquently put it in a recent sermon, “God guards his children by preserving and sustaining their faith Himself.”

Our faith may falter and change from season to season, but we can rest in knowing that God is the One guarding and strengthening us. Because He who began a good work in us will carry it to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6). Hallelujah, Amen. Thank you, Jesus. We don’t have to go it alone.  And so, when the doctor whispers the diagnosis you never wanted to hear. When a close friend or family member says they’ve stopped loving you. When a peaceful vacation turns into a nightmare full of disappointments. When your employer gives the promotion that they promised you to someone else. When you feel like you’ll never be the man or woman you used to be. Remember, you are not alone, and your faith is not going to fail, because Jesus is praying for you. Oh, and I am too.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
I Wish I Could’ve Stopped It
Apr 10, 2019 | Gwen Smith

Today's Truth

He has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.  Psalm 66:9

Friend to Friend

Church camp helps young hearts feel held, healed, loved, and seen by an immortal, invisible God. It did for me as a teen and for my children as well. There’s just something special about cabins, games, songs and Christian  community under a canopy of trees.  In the summer of 2012, our Smith kids had all gone off to church camp while Brad and I snuck away to a marriage retreat. As we headed into the first session, Brad got a call from the church camp informing us that Preston was being taken to the local urgent care facility. The camp director had announced that it was time to toast smores, and in his excitement to get there quickly from the creek, my son slipped on a wet rock and fell so fast the fall was caught with his jaw, splitting his chin open.  They headed to get x-rays and stitches immediately.  X-rays were taken and stitches were sewn.  Then bad went to worse as we found out Preston’s jaw was broken. Ughh!  Hours later we were back home in the office of a maxillofacial oral surgeon who specializes in repair of this type of injury. More comprehensive x-rays were taken, revealing Preston hadn’t just broken his jaw, but he’d broken it in three places, fractured his skull and was likely concussed.  AND the doctor wasn’t sure if Preston would ever chew without pain again.  What?

All we could do was pray and wait. And cry. And pray more.  After seven hours of surgery my son was carted to a hospital room unconscious, with his very-swollen-head wrapped like a mummy. Oh, my heart. His jaw was completely reconstructed and wired shut for six weeks. Hundreds of blended meals later, the wires came off and range of motion exercises began, which eventually led to pain-free chewing. (We’re deeply grateful!)  It all turned out well in the end, but as a mama, I wish I could’ve kept Preston’s feet from slipping on that rock at church camp in the first place. It would’ve saved him so much pain. That’s probably why I feel so loved by God when I read a phrase like the one penned in Psalm 66:9: “He has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.”

Praise our God, all peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; 9 he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.  10 For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver.  11 You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs.  12 You let people ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.(Psalm 66:8-12)

Sometimes I lose my balance. Even then God is faithful and compassionate.  Though we all slip at times, it’s comforting to know that the God who made every rocky road and slippery stone cares enough to extend His invisible hand to mine at times and in ways I’ll never know.  The devil wants us to feel wounded and alone.  God wants us to feel the healing warmth of His hand that catches ours in the slipping.

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »
http://dailyprayer.us/daily_inspiration/daily_inspiration.php?day=3682

Daily Inspiration
September 29, 2019
Charity

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.  ~ 1 Corinthians 13:13

We begin to notice, besides our particular sinful acts, our sinfulness; begin to be alarmed not only about what we do, but about what we are. This may sound rather difficult, so I will try to make it clear from my own case.  When I come to my evening prayers and try to reckon up the sins of the day, nine times out of ten the most obvious one is some sin against charity; I have sulked or snapped or sneered or snubbed or stormed. And the excuse that immediately springs to my mind is that the provocation was so sudden and unexpected; I was caught off my guard, I had not time to collect myself.  Now that may be an extenuating circumstance as regards those particular acts: they would obviously be worse if they had been deliberate and premeditated. On the other hand, surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of a man he is?

Surely what pops out before the man has time to put on a disguise is the truth?

If there are rats in a cellar you are most likely to see them if you go in very suddenly. But the suddenness does not create the rats: it only prevents them from hiding. In the same way the suddenness of the provocation does not make me an ill-tempered man; it only shows me what an ill-tempered man I am.  The rats are always there in the cellar, but if you go in shouting and noisily they will have taken cover before you switch on the light.

Lord, let me always be prepared, that I might show charity in every circumstance, no matter how sudden. Amen.

~ C.S. Lewis, from “Mere Christianity”

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »
http://info.proverbs31.org/breakfast-with-jesus-asheritah-ciuciu?ecid=ACsprvu7HwUqB8uEbV48Y7yl_Sv9SOWUBReJSA_U28JarP0d0SIneSiQdpTjYPjsc3eTfTGVBdGn&utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=78412105&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--eJLia1HayJ3lncPENm3YZWnkkK8jxpZ_RuWAHzv6Gbpe9gBUPMNWVPC7MHMxcgqIpIYlGOOPNaskA9iJ6MzSJu3XtcQ&_hsmi=78412105

Breakfast with Jesus
Asheritah Ciuciu
October 30, 2019

“When they landed, they saw a fire of burning coals there with fish on it, and some bread Jesus said to them, ‘Come and have breakfast.’” John 21:9, 21:12a (NIV)

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  So when I read today’s key verse, I was delighted to peek into this intimate moment between Jesus and His disciples, but I never imagined how applicable it would be to us 2,000 years later.  Let me set the scene.  Jesus called a handful of fishermen to be His disciples, and for three years they enjoyed a close relationship with Him until He was betrayed and crucified. Their hopes had been dashed until Jesus surprised them all when He appeared to them in His resurrected body. Of course they were elated, but still a bit confused.  Jesus was alive, but He wasn’t living with them anymore; they were disciples without a rabbi. He’d promised to send them His Spirit, but He hadn’t ascended to heaven yet, so they were men without a mission. They went out to fish, but caught nothing all night, and now they were fishermen who couldn’t even catch fish.  We can’t know exactly why they reverted to their old occupation, but don’t we do the same thing?

When we’re waiting for God to act, but He’s not doing what we expect, don’t we often try to distract ourselves to numb our discomfort?

For me, it can look like shoveling spoonfuls of cookie dough ice cream while scrolling social media. Perhaps you turn to online shopping, a glass of rosé, a rom-com binge or a toxic relationship.  Distractions promise momentary comfort, but they often fail to resolve our deeper issues, only serving to compound our problems. These men had been up all night and hadn’t caught anything. Now they were exhausted, famished and demoralized.  It’s in this moment of desperation that Jesus entered the scene.  As dawn lit the sky, He called out to them to let down their nets on the other side, and they miraculously filled with fish. Jesus accomplished for them in a moment what they’d failed to do on their own all night.  It’s fascinating to me that Jesus didn’t berate them for going back to their old occupation. He didn’t admonish them for doubting His purpose for them. Instead, He sought them out, provided for their needs and invited them to join Him for breakfast.  Breakfast.  That most simple meal of the day for many of us, void of fancy silverware and linen napkins, is often shared with people who see you before you shower and who love you anyway.  It’s into this most intimate setting that Jesus invited His friends that morning. As they were toiling at their nets, Jesus was waiting for them, cooking their breakfast. And when they drew close to shore in defeat, Jesus invited them to abandon their distraction in order to come eat breakfast with Him. The conversations that followed that meal brought healing, life and joy to those disciples’ wounded hearts. (Read more in John 21:15-23 for the most touching breakfast conversation ever recorded.)  And thankfully, that breakfast invitation is issued to each of us today too.  If anyone understands our pain, it’s Jesus. Physical, emotional and relational?

Yes Jesus experienced it all, and He did it out of love for us. When we’re hurting, Jesus doesn’t send us away to get our act together. He invites us to find mercy and grace as we draw close to Him.  Over breakfast?

Yes.  Morning breath and all.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 08:29:28 PM »
https://lysaterkeurst.com/2019/11/can-i-really-trust-god/

Can I Really Trust God?
Lysa Terkeust  11.12.2019

“The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.” Psalm 111:7 (NIV)

I stood in front of the busted up walls amazed by all I never knew was behind them. Wires. Pipes. Support beams. Insulation. It all stood out now so very vulnerable and exposed. I ran my hand along the rough reality of renovation and thought how very similar my heart felt at the moment. The only difference was I knew my house would be put back together, better than ever.  I wasn’t so sure about my heart.  With the house, I knew a basic time frame. I also knew enough about renovations to add a few months of buffer time to the end date. Regardless, I absolutely knew there would be a beginning to this project and there would be an ending to this project. I also knew the end result would be beautiful. And since I knew the basic time frame and how beautiful things would eventually be, the busting up part of the renovation didn’t bother me. I was actually happy that demolition occurred.  The demolition was not a sign of irreparable problems. It was a sign of intentional progress. But I couldn’t say the same about the busted up places of my heart. Not right now. Not yet.  When I stood and looked in the mirror, my demolished heart wasn’t quite as easy to see as the walls in my house. The brokenness certainly revealed things, but they weren’t as easy to identify as pipes and wires. They were strange threads of fear, anxiety, shock, trauma, and distrust.  Distrust. There it was. The biggest of all the issues that resided beneath my surface. The ripping open and exposing of my heart had certainly revealed something I needed to see but didn’t dare want to admit.  About me. About God. And about my utter lack of trust in Him.  Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a Jesus girl through and through. I love studying His Word, doing the right and required things, following Him and fulfilling my calling. But when God starts to deviate from the plan I’m assuming my life should follow, I’m much more apt to want to tame God, not trust Him.  I want to demand the builder hand over the tools. And though I have no clue how to truly make things better, I start patching and covering and frantically fixating on a hodgepodge repair that will be disappointing at best, detrimental at worst.  And I wonder why I find myself so very exhausted and anxious and heavy burdened on the inside while singing and quoting verses about the abundant Christian life on the outside.  There is a disconnect somewhere between the faith I want and the one I’m living.  I know you feel it too. I’ve seen it in your tear-filled eyes and I’ve heard it in your questions around the harder things to understand about God.  So how do we rebuild our trust in God?

Where do we even begin?

I’ve found the best place to start is in His Word.  The truth of God’s trustworthy character is evident in every page of Scripture. We see evidence of this truth in the covenant promises God made to Abraham, Moses, and David and then kept. We see it in His faithfulness to provide for the Israelites during their wilderness wanderings going before them in a pillar of fire by night and cloud by day, resting in the midst of their presence in the tabernacle, providing them manna to eat.  And there was one thing God did that outshines every other example of His trustworthy nature. God was faithful to the promise He made to Adam and Eve by crushing the head of the serpent as He sent His own Son to earth to die the death we should have died. Jesus reigns victorious over sin and death.  This is why the psalmist could truthfully declare in Psalm 111:7, “The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.”

The Hebrew word for trustworthy in this verse comes from the root word, אמן ( ́á·mân) and encapsulates loyalty and faithfulness. It tells of dependability, all characteristics that are true and evident in God. In one sentence the psalmist declared that all of God’s works are faithful and filled with justice; therefore, He is trustworthy.  This is how we stop resisting God’s ways. This is where we start finding a more grounded faith, renovated hearts, and a strengthened trust in God like never before. We look to His Word for the truth of His faithfulness. Because when we remember His faithfulness, we come to believe that because God is faithful, He can be trusted.

Father God, thank You for reminding me that I don’t have to have all of the answers. I just need to trust. Help me to fix my eyes on Your faithfulness. I’m loosening my grip and surrendering all of my life into Your loving and capable hands. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/11/13/wanting-gods-will-in-our-way

Wanting God’s Will in Our Way
Melinda Fuller
November 13, 2019

“He walked away, about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, ‘Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.’” Luke 22:41-42 (NLT)

I have to admit that when Jesus’ obedience works for my benefit, it’s easier to accept.  If I’m talking about salvation, I have no problem partaking in His obedience, and I’m overwhelmed with gratitude. But when it comes to a child’s health, or if a young parent’s life hangs in the balance, or when disasters strike the most vulnerable, I want to question God’s methods, timing and plan.  That might sound contemptuous, but haven’t we all wrestled with this question: Why has this bad thing happened to such a good person?

And I struggle with praying for God’s will to be done.  I’ve offered up prayers asking God for His will to be done, only to later retract them when God’s way doesn’t seem to match my pace, or when His ideas mess up my perfectly crafted plan, or He doesn’t come through the way I anticipate, pray or plead for. I’m often left shaking my head curious if God missed something along the way.  Maybe that’s what Martha and Mary thought as their brother lay on his deathbed, and Jesus, aware of Lazarus’ condition, didn't rush to His friend's bedside. Perhaps Jairus, whose daughter also lay dying, similarly questioned Jesus’ seeming lack of urgency as He allowed her life to slip away.  The Father's will and agenda was Jesus’ priority not seeking others’ approval, not rushing to accomplish more miracles in His limited time on earth. He wasn’t frantically traveling to every village. Unlike many of us, Jesus didn't fall into the trap of needing to do "all the things."  It’s hard to imagine waiting instead of moving, and yet, Jesus often did. He had all the answers, power and ability to turn back time and hold death at bay simultaneously, and yet He didn’t. Because Jesus was serious when He offered up the prayer, “Yet I want your will to be done, not mine’” (Luke 22:42b).

How many of our prayers does God answer when we impatiently demand Him to, versus when He deems the time is right?

How often does He wait to respond until the moment when His power can be best revealed?

How many dreams does God plan to resurrect, perhaps after they’re dead and forgotten, as He’s merely waiting for us to surrender to stop trying to solve all the problems ourselves?

We ache to have a baby and start our family, but the child God has for us won't be born for another five years.  We want a financial blessing, but He wants us to learn stewardship with the little He’s placed in our hands.  We desire influence over the masses, but He points to our home, our neighbors, our workplace where the recognition will be little, but the fruit will be ripe.  While God may want to give us all of these things, we expect to tell Him exactly how and when plans should unfold, instead of opening our hands and acknowledging His vantage point is better.  John records Jesus’ words, explaining that "the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does" (John 5:19b, NIV).

Jesus’ radical, continual and humble submission to the ways and will of His Father is the greatest example of what it means to fully obey. What would happen if, when we came to God with our list of requests, we opened our hands and prayed like Jesus did: "Not my will, but Yours be done" ...?

Father God, thank You for giving the perfect example of what obedience means in Jesus. Thank You for His radical gift in surrendering His life in the greatest act of obedience. Help me today to hear and know Your voice and to willingly obey whatever You are asking me without arguing, begging or trying to convince You that I know what’s best. I want to surrender, to choose obedience, and see Your will be done instead of my own. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Hebrews 5:8, “Even though Jesus was God’s Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered.” (NLT)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/11/14/but-i-really-want-this-god

But I Really Want This, God ...
Lysa Terkeurst
November 14, 2019

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

On paper, everything seemed to make perfect sense. There was an opportunity I’d wanted for a long time. In my best estimation, this seemed to line up perfectly with my ministry, my calling and my desires.  The only problem was the deep-down knowing it wasn’t my assignment.  I’d asked God for this opportunity, but then I had worked tirelessly behind the scenes to make sure I’d get it. This opportunity was the product of my trying really hard, not truly trusting God. And I felt the weight of all my hustle. I was anxious, exhausted and weighed down by an emotion I couldn’t quite understand dread.  It felt so right. It seemed like such a good fit. It made perfect sense when I’d said yes. But the closer the due date came for this opportunity, the more regret I felt. Instead of running in the freedom of being assured God had called me to this, so He’d definitely lead me through it, I felt like I was pushing a boulder uphill.  There is a weight to our every want.  And when God says no or not yet, it’s often because He can see what the weight of this want will do. Make no mistake, we will eventually realize what our choices outside of God’s will cost us.  The truth is, God has expectations for how humanity, whom He created in His image, is to live and act. Yet, sadly, humanity is prone to wander, and this is the repetitive story we see throughout Scripture. Yes, God is in control. But He doesn’t control our choices. God has given responsibility and freedom to humans to choose Him, His way and His best.  As I said before, we will eventually realize what our choices outside of God’s will cost us. And that moment of realization leads us right back to what God tried to tell us before we ever made those choices. There isn’t ever a time when God has been wrong.  Not ever. And how gracious of God to be patient with us as we learn that lesson over and over. God is trustworthy. Our obedience to God is an indication of whether or not we trust Him.  We see this tension between obedience and trust played out with God’s people and the first king who ruled them Saul.  Saul certainly looked the part of a king. Scripture describes him as both taller and more handsome than any of the other Israelite men. (1 Samuel 9:2)  The prophet Samuel tried to warn the people of Israel about what they were losing by establishing a human king instead of following God as their one true King. They were displacing God’s best for the weight of their own choice. (1 Samuel 10:17-19; 1 Samuel 12:14-19) They would be held accountable for the choice of a king they would not be able to control. When this king went astray, the people would suffer.  And not only would the people suffer, but God would also eventually have to tear the kingdom from Saul’s hands. This king who looked the part would end up letting fear and distrust lead him to walk in disobedience to God. (1 Samuel 15) Because of Saul’s disobedience, God would find another king who was more suited than Saul to lead His people David. This king was a man after God’s own heart, and his throne would be established forever.  How much suffering would the Israelites have avoided if only they had trusted and waited on God?

Where are we signing up for suffering, all because we are too often “wise in our own eyes”? (Proverbs 3:7)

Oh, sweet friend. I know what it’s like to want something so badly that you feel you would do just about anything to have it. But I also know that sometimes, God lets us push past His better plan to experience the consequences of our headstrong attitude. I have lived with the burden of extreme stress, fear, anxiety and an overwhelming sense of regret all because I refused to trust God’s timing and His ways.  I don’t want that for you.  Let’s trust that God’s plans truly are best. Let’s remember there is a weight to our every want. And let’s choose to live out the easy to quote but sometimes hard to live reminder of Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”

Dear Lord, I am so grateful for Your everlasting love and vision for my life. Help me embrace the fact that Your plans are so much greater than mine. Humble my heart in the moments when I try to maintain control so I can fully serve You. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Psalm 18:30, “As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.” (NIV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/03/13/embracing-your-god-given-life-plan

Embracing Your God-Given Life Plan
Jolina Petersheim
March 13, 2019

“‘Who are you?’ he asked. ‘I am your servant Ruth,’ she said. ‘Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a guardian-redeemer of our family.’” Ruth 3:9 (NIV)

Have you ever wondered if you took a misstep somewhere on the choreographed timeline of your life, and that’s why it hasn’t gone according to plan?

One night I questioned nearly every large decision my husband and I have made. He replied, “But where does it stop? What if I had never moved down to Tennessee? What if your parents had stayed in Pennsylvania?”

He continued backing up the timeline of our lives, and I could see what he meant: So many decisions had clearly led us to this point. But what decisions were we supposed to make now? What was the will of God for our family?

Were we living in the center of it or on the fringe?

My questioning began long before our marriage.  After high school, I questioned whether I should go straight to college or spend a year in Discipleship Training School with Youth with a Mission (YWAM). One evening, one of the YWAM Nashville staff members had dinner at the country-style restaurant where I waitressed. This man, who was like a father figure to me, asked about my plans after high school. Grateful to unburden myself, I put down my pitcher of sweet tea and told him about my debate.  For as long as I live, I will never forget how he held out his large, calloused hand and said, “What if the will of God is like this hand? The five different fingers represent five different paths your life could take, but regardless of what you choose, aren’t you still contained in the palm of His hand?”

I ended up going straight to college, and that analogy of God’s will has stayed with me over the past 14 years. It reminds me of the story of Ruth, a woman just like you and me, found in four short chapters in the Old Testament.  Maybe Ruth questioned whether she, her mother-in-law Naomi, and her sister-in-law were in the center of God’s will after their husbands all died. Can you imagine how Ruth retraced the choreographed steps their lives had taken, wondering where their timelines had gone wrong?

Ruth was no Sunday School felt-board figure. She felt like we feel. She wept like we weep.  No doubt, she even questioned how God could be just, if these were His plans.  And yet, Ruth kept taking steps without knowing where her timeline would end. She traveled to Naomi’s homeland of Judah and, after so much famine, found herself living among a bounty of crops. But though it was God’s will to provide for Ruth and Naomi, Ruth still had the choice to get out there each day and glean.  And she chose.  Ruth didn’t wallow in indecision or grief. She got up and moved toward whatever future God might have for her. Even before she lay at Boaz’s feet, Ruth lay at the feet of her Guardian-Redeemer, knowing He would cover her life. We see this in our key verse: “‘Who are you?’ he asked. ‘I am your servant Ruth,’ she said. ‘Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a guardian-redeemer of our family’” (Ruth 3:9).

Imagine if Ruth chose differently. Imagine if she instead returned to her people in Moab and let her mother-in-law make that journey alone. Imagine if Ruth chose to cling to what she knew because it was easier than heading out into the unknown.  Ruth would never have given birth to Boaz’s son, Obed, who would then be part of the lineage of David, the lineage of Christ, humankind’s ultimate Guardian-Redeemer.  Each day, we too are presented with a choice: return to our familiar, questioning ways, or lay at the feet of our Guardian-Redeemer, knowing that no matter what the future holds the blood of Jesus, bearing the lineage of faithful Ruth, will continue to cover our lives.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for sending Your Son to be my Guardian-Redeemer. Thank You for directing my life’s path. May I seek Your heart before my desires … until Your will becomes the desire of my heart. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (NIV)

Hebrews 10:36, “You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.” (NIV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 09:24:21 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/03/15/the-dance-of-faith

The Dance of Faith
Whitney Capps
March 15, 2019

“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.” Psalm 143:8 (NIV)

Like many newlyweds do, Chad and I had a traditional first dance at our wedding reception. Now, it wasn’t the stuff of epic, viral first dances. Nope. It was a rather boring demonstration. Very, very vanilla. We treated our guests to several minutes of us recycling the same three moves and shuffling around to Etta James’ “At Last.” Oh, and there was one fairly awkward dip at the end. One dip. And we nearly fell over.  I’m not much of a dancer, but I can follow a strong partner. Chad is a great leader. In business, he’s thoughtful, decisive, collaborative and confident. But on the dance floor?

He’s the exact opposite of all that. So, during our wedding dance, I tried to lead, but we ended up stepping on one another’s toes. A lot.  When that didn’t work, I tried to coach him along. I’d whisper in his ear what next steps to take, so I could “follow” him. That way it would look like he was leading, but I was still in charge, making sure we didn’t do something that would haunt us for the rest of our lives. This thing was being videotaped, after all! That didn’t work either. In dancing, you’re not really leading if you have to be told what to do.  On that May evening years ago, we moved around to music, but I don’t know legitimate dancers would say we actually “danced.” We were going through the motions, but we weren’t dancing.  When I look back on my spiritual journey the dance I have with the Lord I’d say the same has been true. I’ve been going through the motions, but I don’t know if you’d call it “dancing.”  I’ve often thought that I know the song better. Or I’ve danced along to a song in my head, trying to make my own music. Sometimes I would breakdance when the Lord was trying to lead me to waltz. I resisted the gentle pull of His arms, pushing Him away so I could do my own thing.  Now in this analogy, God is nothing like my Chad when it comes to dancing. Our strong and tender God is completely competent to lead us. He knows all the moves to make. He knows the rhythm of our lives perfectly; He wrote the music. He isn’t making it up as He goes along. It’s all been perfectly orchestrated since the beginning of time.  Today’s key verse, Psalm 143:8, reminds us to fully trust God to lead us. “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”

Ultimately, this dance of sanctification is God’s process to lead. He’s the One who designed it. He’s the One in control of it. He’s the One setting the pace. At the end of your faith journey, you will be sanctified set apart as holy because God is the one initiating the whole thing, and He promises to finish the dances that He starts.

Oh Father, thank You for being our trustworthy dance partner, always leading and always within arm’s reach. You are faithful, ever competent and kind. Help me resist my tendency to want to lead, and give me Your unfailing grace when I push You away or step on Your toes. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Psalm 118:8, “It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans.” (NIV)

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/03/18/a-seriously-bad-attitude

A Seriously Bad Attitude
Tracie Miles
March 18, 2019

“Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.” James 1:2 (NLT)

A couple years ago, I found myself struggling with a serious case of a bad attitude. In fact, I adopted the saying, “If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.”

Bah humbug, all year long.  Problems abounded in every area of my life. Important relationships had fallen apart, dreams were crushed, finances were tight, I missed deadlines, and even ministry efforts brought me disappointment and frustration. A broken refrigerator and multiple minor car accidents seemed to plague my family. The day came when I honestly didn’t know how much more I could take. That’s when God led me to today’s key verse, “Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy” (James 1:2).

The last thing I felt like doing was considering all of my troubles “an opportunity for great joy.”  Seriously, God?

How is that even possible?

But instead of rolling my eyes and closing my Bible in frustration, I felt a stirring in my spirit to take a deep breath and keep reading. God had beautiful encouragement in store, just when I needed it most.  By itself, this verse seems impossible to put into practice. Yet if we read it in context, it takes on an entirely new perspective and seems a little less unrealistic.  The Christians of James’ time allowed life’s frustrations and annoyances to steal their optimism and joy. But in their defense, these believers had serious and justifiable reasons to have a bad attitude and feel consumed with negative thoughts.  They’d been greatly persecuted, facing endless trials and sufferings. They experienced difficult injustices, from murder to imprisonment, from Saul, an unrelenting zealot who sought to destroy the church and anyone associated with Christianity. As a result, these Christians juggled an array of emotions fear, mourning, confusion, loneliness and even hopelessness.  Some fled their homes in fear of their lives, causing them to live in poverty and scrounge for every meal and penny. Some were sick, and everyone was exhausted. They had every right to be negative and pessimistic. I can only imagine they felt as if they were sinking under the weight of seemingly insurmountable problems and fears, and that their faith might have begun sinking, too.  James gently acknowledged their suffering but wanted to give them hope and encouragement. He wanted them to know that inner joy and optimism could still be theirs, despite their adversities, if they deliberately chose to take control of their thoughts and change their attitudes. He invited them to pause and refocus on their faith, even though life was tough.  We may not experience religious persecution as the early Jewish believers did, but let’s face it: Life can often make us feel persecuted.  People hurt us, the past haunts us, co-workers mistreat us, parents don’t love us, friends don’t consider us, spouses leave us, children don’t appreciate or respect us, finances fail us, and our health doesn’t sustain us. And when life gets hard, it’s difficult to avoid letting our negative thoughts result in a serious case of bad attitude. An attitude which robs us of joy and peace.  Just as James instructed the early church to intentionally choose to fight for joy and optimism, we too need to seek God’s help in making the courageous choice to be optimistic in the face of trials by learning to control our thoughts.  After reading this passage that memorable day, I realized my attitude is a choice. What and how I allow myself to think is my choice. Our trying circumstances don’t have the power to dictate our attitudes unless we let them.  Although it might be difficult to endure problems with a smile on our face and pure joy in our heart that can come only from faith, doing so not only makes us stronger believers, but opens the door for true attitude transformation.  Our attitudes are an outward display of what is taking up residence in our hearts and minds. If our hearts and thoughts are in the right place, our attitudes will be, too. The only thing we have to lose by intentionally choosing to have a positive attitude is a negative attitude.

Lord, free me from the shackles of a bad attitude. Work in my heart and mind to transform my thinking from negative to positive, despite the struggles I face. Fill me with a joy that can only come from You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Philippians 4:8b, “Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” (NLT)

Romans 15:13, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (NIV)

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/03/19/the-anatomy-of-a-tender-heart-and-a-strong-voice

The Anatomy of a Tender Heart and a Strong Voice
Amy Carroll
March 19, 2019

“LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain? The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart.” Psalm 15:1-2 (NIV)

No one likes being opposed publicly. But that's exactly what happened when I posted a strong opinion on Facebook. Someone vehemently disagreed, and called me a scathing name, to boot!  With shaky hands (warning sign Number 1) and a pounding heart (ahem Number 2), I hammered out a response on my keyboard. I'm telling you, friends, my reply was rich. It was based in Scripture, filled with facts from the news, and let my attacker know in no uncertain terms that I considered her a bully. After a deep breath, I hit "post." I was proud of how spiritual and smart and strong I sounded.  Until the next morning.  Slowly, very slowly I began to feel pinpricks of regret, followed by conviction.  Suddenly, a memory broke my heart. Last year, there was a Twitter feed that went viral when a female comedian was called the foulest name a woman can be called. Her response was stunning as she opened a grace-filled dialogue with her name-caller. By the end of the interaction, she had reached out with practical help to the man who slandered her. Just weeks before my over-reaction, I had used my social media to point to this response as the way Christians should act.  Like many, I feel a passion for addressing the issues of our culture, but God whispers to me to properly prepare first.  Before we dive into the depths of policies, politics or philosophies, God has a lesson for us. In this divided world of ours, He wants to teach us the anatomy of a tender heart.

A tender heart is a listening heart.

As we listen to God's whispers, attend to the stories of those around us and become more concerned with people's pain than casting blame or affixing a judgment, our hearts grow tender.  I’m learning to listen, and it's hard. I want to add my two cents so badly. Instead, God is teaching me to open my ears, shut my mouth and seek to understand even when I don't agree. This practice is tenderizing a self centered, opinionated heart.

A tender heart is a feeling heart.

King David, a man after God's own heart, expressed his full range of emotions alongside an unshakable faith. The two weren't mutually exclusive.  Truthfully, I'm a little afraid of my emotions. My passion often runs ahead of wisdom. But doing work that comes from God's heart requires passion. It necessitates joy and sorrow. God's work means entering into others’ suffering and bringing the love of Jesus there. It's not that God doesn't want us to feel. He just wants our feelings to follow Him.

A tender heart is a meditating heart.

A tender heart is immersed in Scripture. That's the place where God shows us our sin and moves us to repentance which leads to righteousness.  David shows us the progression when he says, “LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain?

"The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart” (Psalm 15:1-2).

Our walk becomes blameless as we listen to God. We listen, and then we feel. We feel, and then we do what’s right. Finally, we speak. That’s the path of a tender heart.  Do you long to develop a strong voice for God in our world?

Me too. In order to walk into that calling, we have to start with shaping our hearts so we can represent Him well. Not with an equally loud argument, a political party's talking points or a stronger philosophy, but with love flowing from a tender heart.

Lord, make my heart tender through listening, feeling and doing what’s right. Then, and only then, help me use my strong voice for You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Proverbs 1:5, “Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.” (NIV)

1 Corinthians 13:1, “If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.” (NIV)

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 05:17:17 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/01/how-to-prioritize-prayer-in-your-crazy-busy-life

How to Prioritize Prayer in Your Crazy Busy Life
January 1, 2019
Amy Carroll

“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” Colossians 4:2 (NIV)

Although I’m not a fan of New Year’s resolutions, I’ve come to adore adopting a single word each year to guide me toward spiritual growth.  Last January as I sought God for my new word, I sensed Him leading me to the word “pray.” Terror is too mild a word to describe the way I felt about that particular directive.  Don’t get me wrong. I’ve made daily prayer a practice for decades, but I knew it was still a weak link in my spiritual life. Bible study is one of my great loves, and I adore getting out to serve. But during my prayer times, my mind wanders, my faith wavers and I never feel as if I cover all the needs. Guilt and a sense of falling short typically describe my prayer life.  Have you struggled with prayer too? If you’re like me, maybe you know prayer is important, but it’s hard to wrap your mind around such a powerful, invisible force. It’s challenging to prioritize time for something so intangible with results that demand waiting.  As I surrendered and embraced “pray” with a trembling heart at the beginning of 2018, I pictured success as reading stacks of books from the 1700s. I imagined developing callouses on my knees from hours on them in the dark of early morning. But those images left me resistant instead of motivated. Truthfully, I couldn’t fathom fitting those assignments into my current schedule. Surely this was going to be the worst word-of-the-year ever.  I’m excited to report that’s not how God worked at all. Yes, He challenged me to grow in ways that required intention. He asked me to set more time aside for prayer, but He brought some beautiful, simple tools into my life that have allowed me to find peace and even joy in prayer. God directed me to:

Instagram, where I found a pre-prayer journal routine that settles my thoughts and quiets my mind.
    A book that led me to pray one God-inspired verse for each of my sons every day.
    A calendar with daily out-of-the-box prompts that leads me to pray for areas I wouldn’t have thought to cover.
    A friend who encouraged me to set reminders throughout the day on my phone to pray for people I want to intercede for every week.
    A group in the First 5 app where I write out my prayers based on that day’s Scripture.
    A mentor who modeled on-the-spot prayer for those with a request: the best guarantee for follow-through instead of forgetting. Voila! Guilt free.

In a gentle yet persistent way, God brought Colossians 4:2 alive in my life in 2018: “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”

Now my one word “pray” is an invitation for ongoing conversation with God.  As a rule-follower and reforming perfectionist, I used to look for formulas and how-tos. Now, instead of limiting myself to a set number of minutes of prayer in a prescribed routine, the simple tools above allow prayer to permeate my thoughts. They’ve created a watchfulness in me that lasts throughout the day. I’m constantly looking for opportunities to pray, which leads to true devotion to the practice and thankfulness as I watch God at work. There are so many moments that beg for prayer!  If you long for a talk with God that changes things, prayer is not as hard as you might think. Ask Him to send some simple tools your way, and let the dialogue begin.

Lord, I want to develop devotion to prayer because I long for a never-ending conversation with You. Please teach me to pray by showing me truths in Your Word and giving me the determination to use the tools You send my way. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Psalm 17:6, “I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.” (NIV)

Romans 12:12, “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” (NIV)

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/02/when-god-talks-backwards

When God Talks Backwards
January 2, 2019
Alicia Bruxvoort

“But think about this: while we were wasting our lives in sin, God revealed His powerful love to us in a tangible display the Anointed One died for us.” Romans 5:8 (The Voice)

My kids knew what day it was when they woke to cereal in the bathroom sink, silverware in the toothpaste drawer and pajamas dangling from the coat hooks in the hallway.  I’m not sure when the crazy tradition began or exactly when it ended, but when my children were young, we created an in-house holiday that we affectionately termed Backwards Day.  On Backwards Day, we outlawed the conventional and celebrated the crazy. We infused the humdrum with goofy gala and flipped “normal” on its head. We dined under the table instead of on it. We ate dessert before dinner. And we jumped on the bed rather than napping beneath its covers.  The laughter came naturally, but our unconventional conversations did not. On Backwards Day, we practiced the art of reverse dialogue. No meant yes, and yes meant no. Slow meant fast, and wait meant go.  It took me a while to master it, but eventually, I learned to turn affirmatives into stop signs and negatives into green lights. I said sure to hard work and no way to delight.  Sadly, we haven’t celebrated Backwards Day at our house for years. But when I peruse my prayer journal, I realize that God doesn't need a special holiday to practice speaking backwards. God is already the master of reverse dialogue.  I can see it in my own life through the lens of hindsight. Maybe you can spot it in your life, too God often tucks an unexpected yes in the folds of a disappointing no.  When I was a young teacher, I applied for a position that would allow me to serve students and still meet the needs of my growing family. I interviewed and prayed, waited and hoped; but God responded with a disappointing no. Yet, tucked into that no was an unexpected yes to staying home with my children and pursuing my dream of becoming a writer.  When my marriage was flailing and my pride was swelling, I asked God to change my husband. I even gave Him suggestions and timelines. But the Lord didn’t follow my advice. Instead, wrapped into His no was a yes to humbling my heart and recognizing the amazing man God had created my husband to be.  I’ve had seasons when God said no to changing my circumstances, so He could say yes to renewing my mind, times when He whispered no to my demand for answers so He could say yes to increasing my faith.  Let’s admit it. The idea of God’s backwards talk may sound whimsical and fun, but it’s hard to embrace His no’s when we can’t yet see His yeses. It’s challenging to trust His motives when we are disappointed by His methods.  That’s why, when we feel discouraged by His ways, we must choose to shift our gaze. Instead of staring at our confusion, we must fix our eyes on the cross.  After all, the cross is like the ultimate Backwards Day!  The Apostle Paul says it like this: “But think about this: while we were wasting our lives in sin, God revealed His powerful love to us in a tangible display the Anointed One died for us” (Romans 5:8).

Through the cross, God said no to the punishment we deserve and yes to the love we could never earn. Jesus purchased our life through His death. He bought our peace with His torment. He restored our joy with His anguish.  God’s methods may be mysterious, but His mercy is unchanging. And when we anchor our hope to the resounding “yes” of the cross, we realize we don’t need to make sense of His processes to hold fast to His promises.  We simply need to trust the One who filters every yes and every no through His unfathomable love.  Dear Jesus, help me to trust Your mercy rather than getting discouraged by Your mystery. Open my eyes to see the unexpected yeses You’ve tucked within Your disappointing no’s. Thank You for saying YES to loving me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

John 3:16, “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” (NLT)

Isaiah 55:8, “‘My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,’ says the LORD. ‘And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.’” (NLT)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/08/cut-free

Cut Free
January 8, 2019
Jen Wise

“But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions it is by grace you have been saved.” Ephesians 2:4-5 (NIV)

There’s a common struggle among women: the exhausting and unbearable task of removing sweaty gym clothes after a good workout.  Yes, I realize men sweat too — but it’s not the same; their clothes are so loose and stretchy. Ours are tight, contoured, made to hold it all in. That’s all fine and well until you’re exhausted, and the added layer of sweat adheres your top to your poor, fatigued body.  Recently at my gym, a few of us were lamenting this shared frustration when my friend Jill came around the corner, saying, “One time, I was so tired of trying to wrestle my sports bra off that I just grabbed the kitchen scissors and cut myself out.”

Jill is not a woman to be trifled with, friends.  I was still giggling about this as I walked home. I was also a bit in awe. It was a bold and admirable move. Though I would wrestle and sweat and contort and curse my sports bra, I would never, ever, consider chopping the thing off.  In fact, I do this with more than just my gym clothes.  I tend to engage in this on-again, off-again battle with cultural expectations. I hate feeling all this pressure, pressure to look a certain way, dress your children a certain way, act like this, decorate your house like that, travel here, work out there, DIY everything, get promoted, hire out help, eat this, never eat that, educate your children at home, at a public school, at a private school, at a Christian school, be Wonder Woman.  Some days, I resent trying to keep up with such a demanding lifestyle and appearance. The expectations are unending. I wrestle with them, fight them, and for a time, may temper them. But no matter how frustrating, I can’t seem to just cut them off. No matter how much I want to leave it all behind, I keep sweating through it. You’ve done this too, right?

What’s worse is that when we don’t measure up on any of these fronts, we feel ashamed, guilty, unworthy. When there’s a pile of unfolded laundry or our wardrobe is “lacking” or we’re passed up for a promotion, it can actually begin to shape how we view ourselves. And while we may blame culture for perpetuating unrealistic and unhealthy expectations, we can only blame ourselves for choosing to abide by them.  The question is: Why do we wrestle with these pressures when we could simply refuse them?

I wonder if there’s a part of us, deep down, that’s still searching for worth yet feeling plagued by the shame of our own imperfection. We can’t let go because we just aren’t sure we’ve found true love, true acceptance, true security. But, dear friends, we have.  Ephesians 2:4-5 tells us, “But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions it is by grace you have been saved.”

Our worth is set high, off the charts, determined by Jesus’ great act of love, not some image of perfection we try to scrape together.  We can trust that we are wholly loved and fully valued, just as we are. We have nothing to prove. We can cling to what we know is true and believe it with our whole hearts, even deep down where fears and insecurities try to linger.  Sometimes, our greatest act of faith is ignoring the dust and the pile of unfolded laundry. Sometimes, our greatest act of faith is ignoring our chipped nail polish and two-day-old ponytail. Because it’s hard not to give in to the prevailing thought that our picturesque home and expert style determine our value.  We know who we are and to whom we belong. Our identity, value and worth are not up for grabs. A messy kitchen doesn’t make me a bad person or make you a bad person, either. A bad hair day doesn’t diminish your status as a daughter of the King.  We don’t have to measure up to some arbitrary standard to earn love, acceptance or worth; we already have it. If you’ve been trying and trying, wrestling and sweating, why not just cut yourself free?

Dear God, thank You for Your unfailing love and unconditional acceptance. Help me to trust in it, to find rest in it. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Romans 8:38-39, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (NIV)