Author Topic: Tragic demise of Britain's 'heaviest man' as he dies aged 33: Heartbreak ,,,,  (Read 166 times)

Cocopops

• View Profile
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13384271/Britains-heaviest-man-50st-bullied-died.html

Tragic demise of Britain's 'heaviest man' as he dies aged 33: Heartbreak behind why Jason Holton ballooned to 50st and the 'devastating' moment he was airlifted out of bed by crane

By Katherine Lawton and Elena Salvoni

Published: 09:21, 5 May 2024 | Updated: 10:33, 5 May 2024

Britain's heaviest man who died from organ failure told how losing his father as a toddler and being bullied at school saw him balloon to 50 stone in weight.  Jason Holton, from Camberley in Surrey, died just days before celebrating his 34th birthday, after being housebound for eight years due to his large frame.  The 33-year-old died last Saturday after doctors were unable to prevent his organs from failing.  Mr Holton began overeating as a teenager, and attributed bullying at school and mental health problems as the root cause of his weight gain.  He added that the death of his father when he was just three years old also had a profound impact. He told TalkTV: 'Maybe if I had my father around, maybe there would be rules set to what I'm eating and stuff to stop me putting things and stuff in my mouth.  Just eating constantly.  Lamb doner meat, I had a problem with energy drinks. I just decided to get 15 of the Monster cans and drink them all in one go.'

His mother Leisa told The Sun that her son recently 'started to go downhill' after his kidneys stopped working.  'He's probably had about eight lives and I thought the doctors would be able to save him again, but sadly it wasn't possible,' she said.

Mr Holton was reportedly transferred from his home to Royal Surrey County Hospital by a special ambulance which six firefighters had to carry him to.  His mother said he was put on kidney dialysis and an IV drip but that his organs continued to fail.  Doctors then told him he would pass away within a week, she said, and he passed away on Saturday.  The coroner's report stated that he died from organ failure and obesity.   Mr Holton lived in a custom-built council bungalow fitted with specially reinforced furniture.  He had hoped to be prescribed slimming jab Wegovy, without which he feared he would die by 2025, describing his situation as a 'timebomb'.  He told TalkTV in October: 'I believe time's over for me in general. I'm coming up 34 now. I know I've got to try something.'

At his peak, he weighed more than 50st and dubbed himself 'Britain's fattest man'.  At one point, Mr Holton would consume 10,000 calories a day four times the usual daily amount for a man including eating doner kebabs for breakfast   He was deemed too heavy for a gastric band. In 2022, he suffered a series of mini strokes and a suspected blood clot.  In 2020, he collapsed and had to be airlifted by crane from his mother's third floor flat by a team of more than 30 firemen and engineers.  He described the incident as 'the most devastating time of my life. The terrifying part of it all was the amount of people outside.'

His health problems meant he was unable to work, leaving him on benefits. It is estimated his healthcare cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of pounds.  He insisted he cut down and had been eating healthier, but that it had made little difference.  He said: 'I've been making changes which I seriously have for the audience by the way I have been, my diet now it's not consistent of loads of junk and I'm not changing.'

Mr Holton is believed to have become the UK's fattest man after 65st Carl Thompson died in 2015.  The 33-year-old, from Dover, had been housebound for more than a year after doctors warned he needed to lose 70 per cent of his body-weight to survive.  When his mother died of a brain tumour in 2012, Mr Thompson turned to junk food as a means of coping with his grief despite already being obese.  His weight went from 30 stone to 65 in three years, leaving him unable to care for himself.  Unable to walk or even dress himself, he was bathed and cooked for by a team of NHS carers. He died after suffering from organ failure and sepsis.

Doner kebabs, crisps, chocolate and three tubs of chicken chow mein: His 10,000-calorie daily diet

Morning

Large doner kebab meat portion and chips (2,500 calories)

Pop tarts (200 calories in each one)

Afternoon

Three large tubs of chicken chow mein (2,500), prawn crackers (400) and prawn toast (300) from Chinese takeaway

Pop tarts - There are around 200 calories in each pop tart

Evening

Two cheese sandwiches, (1,000) two chocolate bars (1,000) and three packets of crisps (550)

1.5 litres of orange juice (800) and five cans of diet coke (trace)