Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 21616 times)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
Re: Devotions
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/09/how-to-live-poured-out-for-a-marriage-that-fills-you-up

How to Live Poured Out for a Marriage That Fills You Up
January 9, 2019
Jonathan Pitts

“Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” Deuteronomy 6:5 (NIV)

I remember the day Art and I settled in our hearts we would choose to trust God’s love for us and pursue a relationship with Him, no matter what.  We were in the hospital with our middle daughter who was 6 weeks old. She had seemed a perfectly healthy baby until an allergic reaction landed us in the intensive care unit. The doctors told us on the fourth day of our visit that Ashley needed emergency surgery, and they did not expect her to survive.  They gave us five minutes to tell our baby goodbye.  My heart was shattered.  I so desperately wanted to scoop her up and run out of the hospital. I wanted to somehow breathe my life into hers. I wanted to take her place. I could handle my own death so much easier than the death of my child. Art prayed over Ashley, we both said our goodbyes, and then, with tears streaming down our faces, we let her go.  When Art took me outside to the hospital parking lot, I collapsed into his arms. He gently cupped my face in his hands and reminded me Ashley was God’s child to give and His to take back.  “Lysa, God loves Ashley even more than we do,” he gently told me. “We must trust His plan.”

Art then asked me to do something, and it changed my whole perspective on my relationship with God. “We have to get it settled in our hearts that we will love and trust God no matter the outcome of Ashley’s surgery,” he said.

At first, I resented Art’s desire to trust God in this way. I feared it might give the impression it was alright for Him to take Ashley.  With all my being, I wanted to hold on to my child and refuse God. Yet, though I was heartbroken, I also felt God’s compassion. I felt Him drawing me close and pouring out His tender mercy. God knew firsthand the pain we were feeling because He’d felt it Himself. I knew I ultimately had no ability to control my child’s future.  With tears pouring from our eyes, Art and I released our sweet Ashley to the Lord and promised to love and trust Him no matter what.  It was as if the more I fell into God’s arms, the less the pain of the moment seared my heart. Feeling the power of God took away the fear of the unknown. I stopped thinking about the what-if scenarios and let my soul simply say, OK. God, in this minute I choose rest with You. I will not let my mind go to the minutes that are coming. I will simply be in this moment and face it with peace.  That day we settled our love for God not just for this situation, but for all time. Though we did not feel at all happy, a gentle covering of unexplainable calm settled over our hearts. Knowing that the One who loved Ashley.  The end of this chapter of Ashley’s life was miraculous, and we are so grateful. Though the doctors can’t explain how, she made a full recovery. Who can understand why God answers prayer the way He does?

I’ve lived the devastating other side of situations like this where my little sister didn't recover, and we stood at her grave, helpless and heartbroken.  But both situations have taught me that no matter God’s answer, our hearts can be settled to trust and love Him. I don't have to understand; I just have to trust. This kind of total surrender brings about a depth of peace and relationship with God you can’t get any other way. It all stems from living out today’s key verse, loving God “with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength” (Deuteronomy 6:5b).

Nothing in life is certain. Circumstances roll in and out like the ocean’s tide. And the unknown can sometimes seem so frightening.  We can’t stop or control things that roll our way any more than we can stop the water’s edge.  But we can make the minute-by-minute choice to let our souls rest in God.

Dear Lord, I want to love You with all my heart, all my soul and all my strength like Your Word instructs. Teach me how to give up the control I try to maintain as I experience uncertainties and hard times. Help me trust You, no matter what comes my way. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Psalm 62:8, “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” (NIV)

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/10/before-i-say-yes-to-one-more-thing

Before I Say Yes to One More Thing …
January 10, 2019
Lysa TerKeurst

“The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception.” Proverbs 14:8 (NIV)

I stood at the dirt mound watching ants. They were busy. I was not.

I was just a little girl stuck in the middle of a slow afternoon. Several of my friends had been invited to the community pool. Another friend was at camp for the week. Even my last resort, the pigtailed aggravation that lived in the apartment below, was busy. “She’s napping,” her mom had informed me.  I walked away thinking, She’s 6 years old. Only two years younger than me, and she still takes naps? That's the awfullest thing a mom could do to her child. And this is the awfullest afternoon ever.  I sat on the swing of the playground behind our apartment complex. I scuffed the toes of my red sneakers, making lines in the dirt as I moved slowly back and forth. If a child could have died from boredom, I felt quite terminal at that moment.  Then I spotted the anthill.  I walked over and stood there. Just about the time I was thinking about how lucky all those ants were to have so many friends, I heard a scratchy little voice call out to me.  “I bet you won’t stick your foot through that anthill.”

Pigtail girl had woken up from her afternoon slumber. And for heaven’s sake, I would not, could not, be shamed by a girl who still took naps.  I knew in my mind I shouldn't kick the anthill. I knew in my heart I shouldn't kick the anthill. And I knew deep down in my soul I shouldn’t kick the anthill. Every part of me knew I should walk away from the anthill.  But some silly part of my mouth betrayed me.  “Yes, I will!” I declared as I kicked my foot into the middle of ant Hades.

It didn't take long to feel as if someone had lit 1,000 needles on fire and stabbed me mercilessly.  Since that day, I haven't kicked an anthill. At least not in the literal sense.  But I have gotten myself into situations where I invited trouble into my life that just didn't need to be there. Especially in the area of saying yes to something I absolutely should say no to.  I will know in my mind I should say no. I will know in my heart I should say no. I will know deep down in my soul I should say no.  But then my mouth will betray me, “Yes, of course, I will do that.”

And then?

The sting of the three D’s comes;

Dread.  As I write yet another thing on my schedule, I feel the weight of overload.  Disappointment.  In order to make this happen, I will disappoint someone.  Drama.  Dread and disappointment will ratchet my emotions to a tipping point. A tipping point that’s not healthy for me or those with whom I do life.  Here’s what I’m trying to preach to myself: Just because I can do something doesn’t mean I should do it.  I kicked the anthill that day for three reasons I thought it proved I was something. I thought it would impress nap girl. And I didn't think through the cost beforehand.  Proverbs 14:8a says, “The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways ...”

As a little girl on the playground, I was neither wise nor prudent. Thankfully I know now that God's wisdom is readily available.  I've learned if I pause before making an impulsive choice and ask God what to do, He will answer. In fact, He's given me some questions to ask myself that help me determine whether something is an assignment from Him or an anthill that will get me into trouble.  Before saying yes to one more thing on my schedule, I ask myself:

Am I trying to prove something?

Am I trying to impress someone?

Have I thought through the cost of saying yes?

It's not bad to say yes to opportunities. But we really should give thought to our ways and consider whether this is an assignment or an anthill.  Take the assignment if it's yours. But don’t kick the anthills.

Dear Lord, I’m asking for Your guidance as I discern assignments from anthills. Thank You for Your direction. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Isaiah 30:21, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.'" (NIV)

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/11/escaping-the-power-of-the-snooze-button

Escaping the Power of the Snooze Button
January 11, 2019
Jessica Martin

“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings, you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” Psalm 91:4 (NIV)

I flung my arm out from beneath the covers, attempting to snooze the alarm. Successful, I rolled back onto my side, snuggling deeper into the warmth of the down comforter. Snoozing had become the new norm. And not just one snooze maybe three or four.  Every night, I’d set my alarm with great expectations of getting back to my “normal” start to the day. Wake up, run with my dog, shower, devotions, breakfast, coffee, finish getting ready and out the door. Overly ambitious?

Maybe. But for years, that’s how I’ve functioned best.  I told myself: This has to stop. I will get up on time tomorrow. Then, morning’s reality arrived. Snooze. Repeat.  Sure, I made it to work, going through the motions, even finding myself with favor in various areas of life. But despite exterior successes, I felt stuck. I started making choices I am not proud of and saw myself displaying characteristics inconsistent with the faith I claimed to profess.  I could see it happening but could not stop. I didn’t like who I was when I got out of bed. So I snoozed. The covers protected me from myself and the world but it was a facade.  No matter how long I snoozed, I had to face life. And I faced it poorly, as I was sacrificing the very things that helped me feel restored and best able to manage life’s complexities. I was resting but not well. I was hiding from hurts of unfulfilled hopes and dreams, broken relationships, deaths of loved ones, sadness and fear.  Instead of embracing God, I was pushing Him away and increasingly unable to experience joy. That is not who I am, not who He designed me to be. I knew it but could not break free. I was running to the perceived comfort of a warm comforter instead of to the One who could cover me fully and completely in waking just as much as in sleeping, providing the true rest I desperately craved.  Psalm 91:4 illustrates a coverage by the true protector, a rampart who provides healing, joy, and restoration: “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings, you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”

Typical of God, the image is not something that is a natural point of comfort in this world. It’s even better.  A showering of luxurious feathers falling gracefully from the wings of a magnificent creature, someone much bigger than ourselves someone who’s a faithful shield from the struggles of this world.  The covering remains despite our humanity, enveloping us with mercy and grace, cheering us on in even our darkest moments. It’s beyond anything this world can offer, propelling us forward out of stuck places into what we perceive to be the impossible.  Feathers floated around me, gently guiding me to the goodness inherent in them. I experienced the warmth and fullness of the covering as I allowed myself to absorb all He had readily available. True comfort. True protection. I stopped seeking coverage through snoozing, discovering that although my comforter is great, His feathers are much better.

Dear God, thank You for being the Father who craves to lavish love and goodness toward me. Help me to recognize it, accept it and embrace it. It leads to life far beyond what I could hope or imagine. May I look to You first nothing else for comfort and protection. I choose to find my rest in You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Psalm 119:114, “You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.” (NIV)

Psalm 90:14, “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.” (NIV)

heartbroken

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 08:58:33 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/14/for-such-a-time-as-this

For Such a Time as This
January 14, 2019
Dr. Tony Evans

“Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, ‘Do not imagine that you in the king’s palace can escape any more than all the Jews. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?’” Esther 4:13-14 (NASB)

“For such a time as this.”

It’s a phrase tossed around frequently, often without much thought to the original meaning or context in which it was said. It can mean: special, chosen or royal. Many people even quote Mordecai’s rebuke to Esther as a life-verse representing power and favor. You’ll see shirts, hats, mugs and social media posts that proudly ring out, “for such a time as this.”

But what did this phrase really mean?

When we look at the life of Esther throughout the book titled in her name, this phrase actually refers to Esther being scolded for her self-indulgent, self-preserving mindset. In today’s language, we might call that being “shot down” for having narcissistic tendencies! Mordecai reproved Esther for living large and embracing royalty over righteousness selfies over service. Through those telling words, he reminded her she had been chosen to set her own interests aside, let go of her own ambitions, and face an enemy full-on.  She was to risk her life and her legacy with no guarantees of a positive outcome. That’s the “for such a time as this” Mordecai challenged Esther to accept.  “Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, ‘Do not imagine that you in the king’s palace can escape any more than all the Jews. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place and you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?’” (Esther 4:13-14)

And that’s the “for such a time as this” God also sets before you and me.  God has given each of us a job, position, resources, education and more. God has opened opportunities to optimize His kingdom purposes. He didn’t place you or me where we are so we could eat figs all day long or post pictures on social media. He’s placed us wherever we are because we are in the midst of a battle, a war. You and I are in the midst of a seismic conflict involving good versus evil.  To miss a kingdom assignment because we’ve become too caught up in our personal kingdom is one of the greatest tragedies we could ever face. An entire nation was grateful for how Esther responded to Mordecai’s rebuke. Their lives were spared. How many souls can be spared in the culture where we live today when we choose to step up to service, even if it involves sacrifice?

Lord, turn my heart and my mind toward You and toward the role You have chosen for me to live out. Help me to put Your will and Your purpose ahead of my own. I humbly bow before You and ask for Your direction and guidance, as well as Your courage to live out the calling I’ve been given for such a time as this. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Isaiah 33:6, “And He will be the stability of your times, a wealth of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is his treasure.” (NASB)

Proverbs 16:4a, “The LORD has made everything for its own purpose.” (NASB)

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/15/when-you-need-a-little-g-r-a-c-e

When You Need a Little G-R-A-C-E
January 15, 2019
Sharon Jaynes

“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT)

There it was.  Carved in wood.  The evidence could not be denied.  Anna dropped her kids off at school and then went home to clean up a bit. She removed a hairbrush, school papers and yesterday’s jewelry from her dresser. And there it was. She couldn’t believe her eyes.  A nail.  And a name.  L-i-l-l-i-a-n carved into the top of her dresser’s walnut surface.  Seven-year-old L-i-l-l-i-a-n hadn’t even bothered to hide the weapon used to commit the crime. The nail lay just where she had left it. Right on the dresser by her name.  It was a tough six hours as Anna waited for her 44-inch, 49-pound lump of love daughter to get off the school bus. This was not a good day.  “Come with me,” Anna said to little Lillian. “I want to show you something.”

“What’s this about?” Anna asked, pointing to L-i-l-l-i-a-n carved into the wood.

Lillian’s rosy lower lip quivered, her green eyes filled with tears, and her face turned autumn red.  “I’m sorry,” she whimpered with bowed head.

“What were you thinking?” Anna asked sternly.

“Well,” she began, “last night I was waiting for the boys to finished their shower so I could take my turn. I saw the nail and picked it up. At first, when I thought about carving my name on the dresser, my mind said ‘No, no, no, don’t do it,’ But the longer I waited, and the longer I thought about it, the ‘No, no, no, don’t do it’ turned into ‘Yes, yes, yes, do it.’ And I did. I knew it was wrong, but I just had to do it.”

Anna got down on her knees and held Lillian’s guilty cherub face in her hands. “That’s how the devil works,” Anna said. “He creeps in when we don’t expect it and tells us to do bad things wrong things but it is up to us to say ‘No.’”

“I’m sorry, Mommy,” Lillian cried. “I’ll never listen to the devil again.”

Anna is my niece. As she told me this story, I saw myself in young Lillian. I wonder if you did, too.  Temptation lies right in front of us like a nail just taunting us to scratch an itch. At first, we say “No, no, no,” but the longer we wait around and fiddle with it, the more likely the “No, no, no” will turn into a “Yes, yes, yes.”

What’s the answer?

Don’t wait around and fiddle with it! Walk away. Right away.  Paul wrote: “The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure” (1 Corinthians 10:13).

That’s true whether the temptation is flirting with that married man at the office, having one too many glasses of wine, searching for an old boyfriend on Facebook, sharing a juicy morsel of gossip with a friend, or carving your name in your mom’s dresser with a nail.  I love that Lillian said, “I’ll never listen to the devil again.”

Oh, don’t you wish that were true?

For Lillian. For me. For you. But we will.  That’s when I thank Jesus for the nails not one, but three that pierced His hands and feet so we can be forgiven. Jesus forgives us when we fail and restores us when we fall. It’s called G-R-A-C-E and we all need it.

Dear Lord, when I encounter temptation today, help me walk away right away. Give me the wisdom not to fiddle with it, the strength not to give in to it, and the courage to turn my back on it. Thank You for always providing a way out. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (NIV)

Romans 7:15, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” (NIV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 08:02:20 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/16/what-you-think-vs-what-you-do

What You THINK vs. What You DO
January 16, 2019
Trillia Newbell

“For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” Romans 8:6 (ESV)

Recently I lay down in bed, happy for the chance to relax and rest, but my runaway thoughts were full of anxiety.  I stretched out and got comfortable, only to find my mind running in circles. I began worrying about a needed conversation. Next, I ran down a list of items to accomplish the next day. Then I remembered something I needed to purchase, and I thought about what I’d forgotten to accomplish that day.  I quickly realized I wasn’t relaxed at all.  Would that conversation go well?

Would I accomplish all I needed to the next day?

Would those things I forgot to do today bring me trouble? My anxious thoughts almost pushed me out of bed to work, even though I knew I needed rest. (Psalm 127:2)

It’s no accident Jesus commands us to love God with our heart, soul, and mind. I know most of my sin originates in my mind, from what I think, and a lot of it stays there.  I imagine that’s true for most of us.  We know how to act, and there are things we likely wouldn’t do just for fear of what others might think. But our minds are another story. No one sees what we’re thinking at least, that’s the lie we tell ourselves. We can have vengeful, angry thoughts; we can lust; we can be anxious; we can judge others all within the confines of our mind. We don’t have to say a word or make a move to sin.  God knows every hair on our heads and what’s inside our heads, too. He knows we need not only transformed actions but also transformed thoughts.  In today’s key verse, Paul warns that the mindset on the flesh leads to death: “For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace” (Romans 8:6).

This is because a mindset on the flesh is a mindset on sin. It’s not thinking about the things of God it’s not thinking about God at all!  During a particularly hard season of my life, I faced conflict with a friend, and I wasn’t sure how I would work it out. I was nervous about future conversations, so I began visualizing how one might go. Within seconds, I imagined how I might stick it to her with a sharp reply. My mind created a scenario that hadn’t happened and by the grace of God wouldn’t happen. But just imagining that scene led to a physical response. My heart sped up. My breathing became heavier. I was ready for a fight. Yikes!  That’s what happens when we let human tendencies rule how we think. The result is worry, fear, and conflict especially if we let our thoughts dictate our actions.  In contrast, setting the mind on the Spirit leads to life and peace. As Isaiah wrote, “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you” (Isaiah 26:3).

Had my mind been set on the Spirit during that difficult time, I would have responded differently. Hopefully withheld judgment. Probably resisted imagining a comeback. And I would have ultimately loved my sister in my mind and heart and been able to live in peace.  Let’s train our minds, as God through Paul instructs, to think on what’s true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8) The mind focused on the Spirit is fixated on good and holy things. And the Spirit-focused mind knows when to take those worrisome thoughts to the Lord and submit them there.

Let’s ask God to fix our eyes and mind on the good and perfect One.

Lord, when You saved me, You renewed all of me including my mind. I confess, there are times when I struggle to think true, pure and lovely thoughts. Thank You for the promise to finish the good work You began. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (ESV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/17/glimpses-of-joy

Glimpses of Joy
January 17, 2019
Lysa TerKeurst

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” James 1:2-3 (NIV)

There’s no part of me that wants sorrow to be a part of my story. There isn’t any plan God could present where I would willingly agree to heartbreak and pain.  But the longer I walk with God, the more I see what a tragedy that would be. Picking and choosing what gets to be part of my story would keep me from the ultimate good God has in mind.  If that seems hard to fathom in the midst of your own difficult circumstance, I want to share some verses found in James that have helped me in the midst of sorrowful seasons. I have to warn you, it might not feel good at first glance. But as we dig in together, I think you’ll see it’s better to wrestle with Truth than stay stuck in turmoil.  James 1:2-4 reminds us, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” (NIV).

I confess I like these verses until I don’t. These words are easy to pull out when your worst issue is that the drive-thru coffee joint got your order wrong today. They frappeed your latte and waylaid the start of your workday. Grrrrrrr.  But what about those other things we walkthrough?

The ones that hurt too long?

Or disappoint too deeply?

Or feel devastatingly permanent?

To slap some “we should be joyful about this” verses on top of the hard things feels cruel. Like a bad joke about something excruciatingly painful. It’s just too soon for that kind of nonsense.  That’s why I’m glad these verses don’t say “feel the joy” but instead, “consider where some glimpses of joy might be even in the midst of all the hurt.”

Understanding how to consider joy rises and falls on whether we truly trust God in the middle of what our human minds can’t see as good at all. It’s hard. So I like to think of it in terms of baking. Imagine if we decided to make a cake. As in, from scratch.  After going to the store, we set out all the ingredients: the flour, the butter, the sugar, the vanilla, the eggs, the baking powder, and a pinch of salt. But then maybe we felt too tired to mix it all together and make the cake. Instead, we thought we could just enjoy the cake one ingredient at a time. The thing is that sometimes we don’t like some of the individual ingredients, so we’d rather leave them out.  The flour is too dry leave it out.  The sugar, butter and vanilla are all good to leave them in!  The eggs are just gross when raw definitely leave those out!  And then our cake would never be made mature and complete, not lacking anything.  We are so quick to judge the quality of our lives and the reliability of God based on individual events, rather than the eventual good God is working together.  We must know that just like the master baker has reasons to allow the flour and eggs in the right measure into the recipe, Jesus, the author, and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2), will do the same with dry times and hard times. And yes, we may have to go through some chaos in the mixing and some heat in the baking, but soon we will rise and live lives that are a sweet offering of hope, grace, peace and comfort to others.  That’s how we can consider it pure joy today.  We can also make peace with the fact that sorrow and celebration can coexist together in a heart quite authentically. We don’t have to pick one or the other. We can simply have both. And giving ourselves permission to have both is freeing on every level.  We can sit with and tend to all that still needs to be healed and at the same time laugh, plan for great things ahead, and declare this a glorious day.  To have both isn’t denial.  It’s declarative! It’s decisive! It’s deeming life a gift even if it looks nothing like we thought it would.  Our sorrows tender our hearts and allow us to grieve. Our celebrations tend to our heart’s need to get back up and go on.  Let’s enjoy the mess out of all that’s worthy of celebration while fully allowing sorrow to come to our party as well knowing there’s purpose in the pain and joy in the making of a life with Jesus.

Father God, help me consider where glimpses of joy might be on this day. And keep reminding me in the midst of all that feels hard that Your plans for me are still good. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

James 1:12, “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” (NIV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/18/when-god-cried

When God Cried
January 18, 2019
Liz Curtis Higgs

“Jesus wept.” John 11:35 (NIV)

I was sitting on a hotel bed when the text arrived. Though I’d steeled myself for bad news, I still wasn’t prepared. My hands shook as I read the words, “Lizzie, dear, your brother left this world at 6:27 p.m. Mountain Time ...”

There was more, but I couldn’t bear to read it. A great sob poured out as I threw the phone across the bed. Not in anger but in despair. It can’t be true. It can’t be.  Every emotion flooded through me as I tried to stem my tears, pressing a washcloth to my face. The thought of never seeing my brother again was more than I could bear. I wept until I could weep no more, and then I wept again.  Perhaps that’s how Jesus responded 2,000 years ago in Bethany. Not just one tear running down his cheek, but a steady stream flowing from the depths of His heart, as He watched Martha and Mary mourning the loss of their brother Lazarus.  When a loved one dies, “if only's” often haunt our thoughts for weeks, months, even years after the funeral.  “If only I’d called that morning ...”

“If only I’d insisted on a second opinion ...”

“If only I’d stopped by on my way to work ...…”

Having now buried both my parents, both my in-laws, all three of my dear brothers, and far too many friends, I would offer this gentle advice about giving in to “if only's”: Don’t go there, beloved. God knows the hour of each person’s passing. Whatever we did or didn’t do for someone we loved, the timing of his or her departure was God’s alone.  Mary of Bethany surely knew this truth, yet she fell at Jesus’ feet that day, unable to hold back her tears.  Jesus could hardly ignore her profound grief or the crying and sobbing of her friends. “When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled” (John 11:33, NIV).

There’s more going on here than meets the eye. Jesus was visibly distressed not from angst as much as anger. Jesus was mad?

Yes, He was. The Bible tells us He became “enraged in the Spirit” (John 11:33b, JUB), and “a deep anger welled up within him” (John 11:33b, NLT).

Almost like a horse showing its displeasure.  Was He frustrated with Mary’s tears? Disgusted at her lack of faith? Not our compassionate Savior. He was angry with death itself and the grave’s power to rob His people of hope, of joy, of peace.  When He asked Mary and the others, “Where have you laid him?” (John 11:34a, NIV), Jesus followed them to Lazarus’s tomb, prepared to put an end to their suffering.

What happened next was tender, sacred and unexpected. Captured in a verse with only two words, famous for its brevity but far more for its depth of emotion, "Jesus wept” (John 11:35).

He did, friend. The Son of God wept. A great sadness swept over Him, moving Him to tears, He felt their sorrow in a deeply personal way, just as He feels ours.  However much we’re hurting, we can take comfort in this: When we suffer, He suffers with us. When we grieve, He grieves.  The witnesses that day said, “See how he loved him!” (John 11:36, NIV).

Yes, see how He loves each one of His followers. Wanting us to live with hope, rather than fear … with joy, rather than sorrow … with peace, rather than regret.

Lord Jesus, thank You for meeting us right where we are, even in the depths of our pain. For shedding Your tears, reminding us we’re never alone. For shedding Your blood, assuring us we will live with You forever. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Matthew 5:4, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” (NIV)

2 Corinthians 1:3, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort.” (NIV)

Romans 12:15, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.” (ESV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/21/no-more-of-those-stories

No More of Those Stories
January 21, 2019
Lynn Cowell

“When he heard this, Jesus said, ‘This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.’” John 11:4 (NIV)

Lord, I don’t want to write any more of these kinds of stories.

I knew this was not the “Sunday School” response to my Savior, but after hearing news that left my heartbroken, I just had to shoot straight with the One who loves me most. He has proven that when I am hurting, He will comfort me, and that is exactly what I needed. I knew I could go to Him in the rawest moments of my life, and He would take me in.  One thing I’ve learned in loving Jesus: It doesn’t mean we get to skip hard things in life. It takes only a day to find this is true. Disappointments sometimes replace dreams. Unrealistic expectations of ourselves and others crowd out the happiness we hoped to experience.  Maybe Martha in John 11 felt similar feelings as she looked at her brother Lazarus’ lifeless body. She could have thought, If Jesus loved us, why would He have allowed this?

He knows we need our brother. This tragedy could have easily been prevented if Jesus would have simply come when the sisters called for Him.  Jesus hadn’t followed their plan or met their expectations when He stalled in coming to their rescue. But He had His reasons for waiting, and clearly explains it in today’s key verse, John 11:4b: “... it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”

“God’s glory.”

Jesus gave His purpose for Lazarus’ illness and subsequent death, but Mary and Martha were not there to hear His answer. Sometimes, even if we do hear His words, they are not the ones we want to hear.  We just want our pain fixed.  Jesus wanted them to learn that His “no” now is not always a no forever; He has the perfect timing and perfect answer to our needs. He wants our faith and confidence in Him alone, and often a no when we want a yes helps us reposition our confidence and trust when it’s gotten off track.  If Jesus had come to this family’s immediate rescue, there would have been no reason for the sisters to develop and exercise confidence. Often, He will build this type of confidence in uncomfortable environments.  The sisters had sent for Jesus and had offered a prayer of sorts. “Lord, he whom you love is ill” (v. 3b, ESV).

They had confidence He would hear them, and they were right: He heard and answered their request in His way, in His time.  My heart needs this hope and comfort today this faith-booster. Confidence that we can ask anything according to His will and He hears us is what powers our prayers. Matthew 7:7-8 reminds us, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened” (NIV).

Jesus leaves no room for doubt. The answer to our prayer will come.  Period.  Ask and it will. Seek and it will. Knock and it will. This is the faith-push that empowers us. When disappointment and discouragement deplete me, God’s directives restore me.

Dear Lord, thank You that whenever disappointment and discouragement deplete me, You will restore me. When life knocks me down, I will choose to draw closer to You still. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (NIV)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/22/the-benefits-of-blind-obedience

The Benefits of Blind Obedience
January 22, 2019
Tracie Miles

“‘It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,’ Jesus answered. ‘This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.’” John 9:3 (NLT)

Have you ever wondered if something you did (or something someone did to you) was the reason God allowed you to experience suffering?

Or maybe questioned if your past experiences or mistakes prevent you from living a life of purpose that glorifies God?

I entertained these thoughts for a long time, but years ago, my perspective changed as I read the passage where Jesus’ disciples were wrestling with these same questions.  Jesus and His disciples were walking through the streets of Jerusalem when they encountered a blind man. In John 9:1-2, one of the disciples asked Jesus why this man was blind: “As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. ‘Rabbi,’ his disciples asked him, ‘why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?’” (NLT)

Jesus lovingly put their confusion to rest with today’s key verse, “‘It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,’ Jesus answered. ‘This happened so the power of God could be seen in him’” (John 9:3).

I can imagine the disciples standing there, looking perplexed by what Jesus meant. How could this man’s blindness be a display of the power of God?

What had he ever done to glorify God? How could his life serve a higher purpose?

The passage continues, “Then he spit on the ground, made mud with the saliva, and spread the mud over the blind man’s eyes. He told him, ‘Go wash yourself in the pool of Siloam’ (Siloam means ‘sent’).  So the man went and washed and came back seeing!” (John 9:6-7, NLT)

The blind man’s sight was completely healed, but notice that his healing was not immediate. He wasn’t healed when Jesus spat on the mud and smeared it on his eyes, but only after he had obeyed what Jesus instructed him to do.  The blind man was healed when he chose to fully obey the command of Jesus to “go.” Without questioning or hesitating, the man went, and his obedience resulted in healing and discovering holy purpose from his pain.  This man had been suffering with undeserved physical and emotional challenges for decades. He may have lived his entire life feeling inferior, unloved, rejected, excluded and possibly believing he had no purpose. He may have also assumed his suffering and current limitations rendered him useless. After all, he didn’t have any special skills or qualifications, not even eyesight.  But here stood Jesus, telling everyone how this man’s life still counted and that his life could serve as proof of the power of God. Because of his obedience, his physical blindness was healed, but more importantly, his spiritual blindness was healed, opening his eyes to a new perspective about his past and future.  Unlike this blind man, we often find ourselves questioning God’s call and talking ourselves out of obedience rather than blindly trusting and obeying His command to “go.” But when we walk forward in faith, even when we don’t feel ready and have to push through our doubts, fears, and hesitations, true healing and purpose can begin to take shape in our hearts and in our lives.  God allows pain, struggles, and adversities in our lives. But regardless of our circumstances or limitations, when we choose to take that leap of faith with blind obedience, trusting God even when we don’t know what lies ahead, we too can experience true spiritual healing, see a new perspective about our past for the very first time, and take the first step into discovering our unique purpose.

Lord, I want my life to serve as proof of Your goodness. Fill me with courage and motivation to trust and obey You. I want to go and share with others what You have done for me. Show me how You can turn my pain into purpose and make my life count for You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Romans 8:28, “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (NLT)

James 5:11, “We give great honor to those who endure under suffering. For instance, you know about Job, a man of great endurance. You can see how the Lord was kind to him at the end, for the Lord is full of tenderness and mercy.” (NLT)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2020, 01:18:24 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/23/we-are-family

We Are Family
January 23, 2019
Cindy Bultema

“I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.” 1 Corinthians 1:10 (NIV)

Family is supposed to look out for each other, but that doesn’t always happen. My daughter had a bit of a lisp, and some boys on the school bus were making fun of her. They’d tease her, call her names and mimic her talking with her lisp, of course exaggerating. Spit actually flew from their middle-school mouths to my little girl’s face!  She came home in a puddle of humiliation.  I wanted to climb aboard the yellow bus like a mildly deranged mama bear and have a swipe or two at those hooligans, but of course, I restrained myself. (I aspire to be sanely involved with my children’s conflicts.) I prayed for grace, forgiveness, and wisdom because the main instigator was my friend’s son. Yikes!  And the worst part my son was a witness to what was happening to his sister.  “Sweetie, what did you do when those mean boys were picking on your sister?”

My usually reliable son averted his eyes and lowered his head.  “Nothing.”

Grrr. I wanted to jump out of my skin. But motherhood is all about gulping those deep breaths and praying those “Help me, now!” prayers. “Nothing? You watched your sister get spit on and you did nothing? Why? Help me understand.”

Before he could respond, I kept going (as I sometimes do):  “Honey, we belong to the same family we are Bultemas. We stick together. Family doesn’t stand by and do nothing when our sister or brother needs help. Family members take care of each other.”

I was trying to teach my son about family, about unity and how to pursue it in our broken, hurting world.  The bus drama with my daughter sparked negative emotions in me, but it was also an opportunity to remember I am called to pursue unity, with bullies and moms of bullies, and with my brothers and sisters in Christ.  “Unity” is kind of a churchy word, but as Paul said in 1 Corinthians 1:10, it just means agreeing with one another, with no divisions or conflict. “Division” in ancient Greek has a connotation of ripping or tearing fabric, so literally, Paul begged the church members in Corinth to not be ripped apart.  But drama and conflict come up all the time can I get a witness?

It pops up with friends, kids, siblings and between husbands and wives. It flares on the playground, the workplace, the big yellow school bus.  We can’t avoid conflict, but we do get to choose how to deal with it. Do we make the rip worse, or do we do all we can to mend and heal?

When he wrote his letter, Paul knew the local church in this Greek city was a hot mess of overblown drama and bitter contention. Four cliques had formed — each was sure they were right, and everyone else was wrong. Church members were even suing each other!  I love how Paul writes with a pastor’s heart, using family language. At least 20 times, Paul addresses his “brothers and sisters,” his “adelphos” in Greek. His loving-yet-firm tone is one we might use if we were going out for coffee with a sibling or a friend who had lost their way. “Oh, friend I love you, but this has got to stop.” Let “there be no divisions among you,” Paul writes.

No drama.  No, he said/she said.  No spitting on each other.  No hurting each other!  Instead “.... be perfectly united in mind and thought.”

Build each other up.  Gently, patiently, kindly.  At peace.  By the way, the instigator in my girl’s bus drama?

With his mom’s encouragement, he came over and apologized, giving my daughter a gift card he bought with his own money. Grace ruled, and harmony was restored.  Life delivers many reasons to be at odds with our sisters (and our brothers). Let’s look for ways to be at one with them instead. Let’s also look for ways to be family to each other, to stand up for each other as dearly loved daughters and sons of a Good Father. Because the family takes care of each other, always.

Father, help me see ways I can bring unity and peace in Your Name today. Fill me with Your love and grace in the midst of drama. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Ephesians 4:3, “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” (NIV)

Philippians 2:2, “Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.” (NIV)

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 01:24:17 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/24/wisdom-together

Wisdom Together
January 24, 2019
Lysa TerKeurst

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.” James 3:13 (NIV)

For all of their lives, my children have known a secret. When circumstances fall apart, there is a safe place. Their mom’s arms. More than a hug, this place beats with the gentle rhythm of a heart that feels what they feel. So they bring what they can’t bear to experience alone into this place. And we reconnect.  So, when my daughter crawled into my arms at 3 a.m. several years ago, I knew. Trouble had found its way into her heart. A boy, whom she thought would handle her heart gently, didn’t. Her crush, crushed her.  She felt it all so deeply. And while I could see it was all for the best, I hurt for her with her split-open heart, because she’s mine, my girl who couldn’t sleep, so she slipped into my bed to be near the rhythmic heartbeat she’s known since she was conceived.  And in the quiet middle of the night, I held her. I brushed her long brown hair off her tear-streaked face. I kissed the wet salt on her cheeks. And I whispered, “I love you.”

And she knew I was safe. Her safe place to run and find when the world got wild and cruel and heartbreakingly mean.  The next morning, she showed me the source of her middle-of-the-night anguish: a text message from him. His words were from a heart entangled with immaturity and his own sources of hurt. He wasn’t a bad person. He was young. And sometimes young means incapable of handling situations the right way.  I understand that. Age has given me that gift. But my young girl did not understand. She took the words like daggers to the heart. And cried.  She handed me the phone.  “Help me reply.”

There we sat in the midst of poached eggs and toast crumbs, talking together, thinking together, replying together.  Together is a really good word. Together is what we need when we hit tough patches in life.  No matter what hard place we find ourselves in, feeling alone can make us vulnerable to bad decisions. Hard places can so easily make us want to default to our feelings rather than to wisdom as our guide. That’s not the best time to make a decision. Especially not alone.  I suspect if you’re in a tough place, it probably feels more significant than a teenage heartbreak. I understand. I’ve been there. And I’ll probably be there again. And when we’re there, we have to be honest that we’re not in the place to make big decisions right then. Maybe we’re not even in the place to make decisions on simple requests from others.

This doesn’t make you bad or incapable. It makes you smart. Smart enough to know to pause and take extra time when life takes on extenuating circumstances that are hard.  In this pause from decisions, go to your safe place. When the world beats you down, open up your Bible. Let His sentences finish yours. Let truth walk before you like a guide on a dark path.  And also go to someone in your sphere of influence whom you know is wise. How do we know whom to go to? The Bible makes it clear: “Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom” (James 3:13).

Yes, let these wise people help you. Stand on top of their wisdom when you feel shaky with your own. When we can rise up on the wisdom of others and get a new view of our situations, our next steps seem a little clearer.

Father, thank You for the help You surround me with not only in Your Word but also with the people You place in my life. Give me the wisdom to reach out for help when I need it. And make me aware of those around me who are hurting and could use Your hope. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Proverbs 13:20, “Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.” (NIV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/25/praying-like-a-superhero

Praying Like a Superhero
January 25, 2019
Shirlee Abbott

“But you, when you pray, enter your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret.” Matthew 6:6a (MEV)

Oh, to be like Superman. To step into that phone booth as mild-mannered Clark Kent and step out as Superman fit, flamboyant, ready to fly off and change the world!  But here I am, weary and worried, stepping into my prayer closet and later stepping out same old me, still weary and worried. Clark Kent is transformed. I’m not.  Forget the closet. I want a phone booth.  Friends, it’s not the closet. It’s me.  I’m not in there alone. I’m with God Almighty, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and I play the part of Clark Kent, the reporter.  I report the news. I tell what’s happening. I provide all the details. I fill the closet with words.  They’re broke, God. They need money. He’s gotta find a job.  Dear Jesus, she’s terribly sick. There’s so much she should be doing.  It’s the big game. The team has worked hard, Lord. They really want to win.  The good little reporter that I am, I don’t just describe what’s happening. I tell God what needs to happen.  This job is perfect for him, Jesus. They have to hire him.  Heal her, Lord. Get her back to work.  Dear God, give them the victory. They deserve it.  One day, I step into the closet, more distressed and dejected than usual.  This is such a mess! I don’t know what they should do. You’re the all-seeing, all-knowing God. You tell me.  I sense God’s response:

Ah, you’re catching on.  Who am I to tell God what to do?

He’s omniscient and omnipresent. I can’t tell Him anything He doesn’t already know.  I learn to check my Clark-Kent self at the closet door. I speak less and listen more. God grants me glimpses from His perspective.  He loves money too much.  She needs to be still and know that I am God.  They want that trophy more than they want Me.  I’ve been stepping into my prayer closet and asking God to save the day Superman-style, to provide the quick fix, the happy here-and-now. But God looks at the long term, what’s best for eternity. An easy life produces flabby souls. Temporary trouble can be a stepping stone to godly character.  I learn to pray God’s plan over the names on my prayer list.  O God, teach him to store up his treasure in heaven.  Surround her hospital bed with Your presence, Jesus.  Win or lose, Lord, may they play for Your glory.  And that hopeless mess?

Almighty God, plant them deep in Your love. Fill them to overflowing with the fullness of You!  Whatever the problem, they’ll be better off filled with the fullness of God. We find this truth when Jesus is teaching His disciples how to pray. He instructs them, “But you, when you pray, enter your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret” (Matthew 6:6a).

I don’t step out of my prayer closet with a flashy cape and bulging muscles. But I’m transformed. I have God’s eyes and heart. And my prayers fly off in power to change the world.  I’ll take my closet over a phone booth, all the time.

O God, teach me to pray Your way, not mine. Change me, change my prayer focus, and change others through my prayers. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Ephesians 3:14-19, “For this reason, I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would give you, according to the riches of His glory, power to be strengthened by His Spirit in the inner man, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth and length and depth and height, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” (MEV)

PippaJane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2019/01/28/just-say-thank-you

Just Say Thank You
January 28, 2019
Arlene Pellicane

“If you are not disciplined and everyone undergoes discipline then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.” Hebrews 12:8 (NIV)

Have you ever had a piece of broccoli or salad in your teeth, but no one told you about it?

It takes a caring friend to whisper, “You have something stuck in your teeth.”

That tooth tip is meant to be helpful, not harmful. We are wise to recognize correction either big or small as a chance to improve, instead of a challenge to be rejected.  When you’re corrected, what’s your immediate response?

I recently learned a new way to respond when I’m corrected, revised, amended, rectified or reformed. I learned this response from my friend who serves alongside her husband in youth ministry at my church. Over lunch, she repeated to me what she teaches the students: 

“When we ask you (the students) to put away your phones, or when your parent says something to correct you, it may feel like a flick on the cheek. It hurts at the moment a little bit. But what you need to say is, ‘Thank you.’ You’re being corrected because you are loved.”

I love that dialogue. When someone corrects you, simply say “Thank you.”

You’re being corrected because you are loved.  This isn’t always easy. But I got the chance to practice this response soon after.  At a small neighborhood exercise class I’ve been attending for years, I was lifting weights. My instructor corrected my form in front of everyone. Instead of being embarrassed or offended, I said, “Thank you.”

I was amazed at how that simple response helped me accept the correction (I was using the weights incorrectly), and it diffused my self-consciousness.  I don’t know about you, but I’m naturally defensive when corrected. Yet the Bible teaches us not to be discouraged when we experience a divine correction. Hebrews 12:5b-6 says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son” (NIV).

Do not lose heart.  When the Lord nudges, “Child, you need to go apologize to your friend ...” or “You spoke very rudely just then ...” we can learn to respond with the words “Thank you.”

Thank You, Lord, for correcting me because You love me. Thank You for helping me become more like You.  Today’s key verse says, “If you are not disciplined and everyone undergoes discipline then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.” Being a child of God means God loves us too much to allow us to continue uncorrected in sin. Reading Hebrews 12:9-11, we learn that if human fathers discipline us and are respected, how much more should we submit to God?

Earthly parents aren’t perfect, and we can correct incorrectly, but God always disciplines for our profit. God’s correction is not condemnation. This is an important distinction. God corrects to prevent the death and destruction of our souls. At the time, discipline doesn’t feel joyful. It’s painful. But later it “produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it” (verse 11b, NIV).

One way we can spiritually train is by responding with a sincere “Thank you” when God (or other people) correct us. But what if someone gives you a mean-spirited or ridiculous correction?

You can still say “Thank you” and leave it at that.

You don’t have to pay attention to corrections from people who don’t care about you and seek your harm.  However, Proverbs 15:1 says, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (NIV).

In other words, let’s respond with grace, even when others don’t say something gracious. This sets us as Christ-followers apart from the world.  So the next time someone gives you a piece of advice, corrects you, or points out the broccoli between your teeth, just say “Thank you.”

And when the Holy Spirit nudges you about something you need to change, try saying, “Thank You, God, for caring enough to tell me about this because I am Your daughter.”

Heavenly Father, I struggle with sin and need Your loving correction. Thank You for intervening in my life over and over again. Thank You for working on my character and behavior so I can look more like You. Help me welcome Your discipline in my life. I submit to Your will in my life. Give me a gracious attitude toward others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY

Job 5:17, “Blessed is the one whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.” (NIV)

Psalm 119:67-68, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.” (NIV)

Cocopops

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2023, 02:55:19 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/01/13/letting-go-of-clutter-and-holding-on-to-peace?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=200215115&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_PbKl82OGviHTpk-b_6DBVDS0OFdYrumkgL45LIhoJHoOCWBRaXX-XEOHOUJnpNKlqI_lEKh4dsaCZ7rya5-RYxCzU0Q&utm_content=200215115&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Letting Go of Clutter and Holding On to Peace
January 13, 2022

by Brenda Bradford Ottinger

“The LORD rules over the floodwaters. The LORD reigns as king forever. The LORD gives his people strength. The LORD blesses them with peace.” Psalm 29:10-11 (NLT)

The Carolina clay has housed our family roots for over a decade now, but prior to settling here, we moved many times across many years.  As exhausting as those moves were, they lent timely opportunities to shed excess belongings.  Yet as we settled into long-term living, I began to sense an unexpected weight of weariness. Amidst the bustle of a growing family, without those frequent moves forcing fresh starts, I felt overwhelmed by the re-accumulated stuff of life and the stress of tidying around it.  I’d spend all my energy managing the simple tasks of daily maintenance, never feeling like I could get ahead. Then I’d collapse into bed each night, sinking further into the floodwaters of inadequacy.  Quieting my environment helps quiet my spirit, yet my environment felt like a thundering flood of chaos. Feelings of failure, fault, weakness and regret stole my very peace. Yet I had no idea how to summon the time and energy to change my situation.  One evening, as I searched Scripture for a hint of calm in the chaos, God brought me to Psalm 29. David wrote this psalm while watching a storm rise above the Mediterranean Sea and sweep across the land.  I felt like I was swirling in my own personal storm, and these words spoke hope and comfort to my weary soul: “The LORD rules over the floodwaters. The LORD reigns as king forever. The LORD gives his people strength. The LORD blesses them with peace” (Psalm 29:10-11).

God reminded me that night that He rules over every storm of life, offering us His strength and peace in the midst.  I knew something needed to change, so I prayed for wisdom to create boundaries and freedom to let go of clutter that no longer served us. And one small step at a time, I began moving toward a life of less stuff and more peace.  Friend, if life feels like it’s swirling around you, creating whirlwinds of chaos in your home, take heart; there is hope! God is more than able to meet you where you are with His abundant strength, for He rules over the floodwaters of your storm and longs to bless you with His peace.  Here are five practical suggestions and accompanying scriptures to tuck into your heart as you seek to declutter and restore order in your home:

1.   Lay your struggles bare before God. Ask Him to guide you toward His best for your household. “Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” (Psalm 25:5, NIV)
2.  If you live with others, brainstorm ways you can work together toward balance. “Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.” (Ecclesiastes 4:9, NLT)
3.  Break down big tasks into small goals. Don’t discount the big difference that small efforts can make. “Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin …” (Zechariah 4:10a, NLT)
4.  Consider how much stuff you want to manage, and donate the rest to someone who needs it. “All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had.” (Acts 4:32, NLT)
5.  Don’t let one difficult day derail your progress. Accept God’s grace for the process and begin each day anew. “The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.” (Lamentations 3:22-23, NLT)

Sweet friend, your desire for a manageable home is a worthy desire. Today is a great day to begin again and, one step at a time with God, create the calm your heart craves for your home.